Archived Receiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to be trained for receiving. This is my last station in logistics before I've learned all of logistics. Anything I should know before going into it? I'm not super excited about it, but felt I should learn it.

Be ready to take notes. Good notes. Our receiver tried to give me a rundown of checking in vendors so he could go on break and it was the most confusing thing ever. Honestly, I think its more trouble than its worth unless you're reallllly looking to cover their breaks and vacations.

Be ready to take notes. Good notes. Our receiver tried to give me a rundown of checking in vendors so he could go on break and it was the most confusing thing ever. Honestly, I think its more trouble than its worth unless you're reallllly looking to cover their breaks and vacations.

so i've never taken notes on any other team i've been "trained" on... is this one vastly different? im assuming there will be quite a few computer related tasks, and pda related tasks. like i said before, im not super excited to be training on it, but they asked and i said yes. hopefully, i wont have to do it a lot... mostly when she is on vaca.

Receiving is a mess of different things going on, from what I can tell. You have two different ways to check in vendors (some use Method A, others use B). And sometimes you have to refuse a vendor's shipment and deal with that. You have salvage, recalls and other stuff to process. There's tracking down MIRs on the floor and in the backroom and dealing with when you can't find it. Credits for vendor product, keeping in mind I guess some stuff (like alcohol?) doesn't get credited? Maybe? Somebody covering receiver credited the wrong thing once and our store got a phone call about it pretty quickly.

I'm just going to shut up and let an actual receiver answer this stuff because its way over my head and I don't know why I posted here!

Not a receiver, but from observations of our receiver, it seems to involve vendors as well as CAF checking (thermometer), handling damaged/partial/missing product, dealing with expired CAF, and a myriad other duties. Definitely take notes!

Never refuse a shipment. Try to figure it out by going into recv and ask the vendor for help or call an ETL.

Notes. Lots of notes. So many vendors, so many processes. I believe there are step by step processes on workbench, but you need to know how to pick which process to use.

Im a receiver. All my scores are green! Yes take notes, otherwise you will forget. If a vendor sees that you are new they will take advantage, especially over ordering. Some get paid by what comes in so they will over order. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you are only covering 15 minute breaks and lunchs you will be fine. Make sure people have their PO#'s and things match up. No PO# or something doesn't feel right, they wait till the receiver gets back from their 15 minute break or lunch be firm. A vendor needs you to give him a PO# for his huge order and you don't feel comfortable he waits for the receiver or you call LOD.
However..... If you are going to be covering a two week vacation or something there is a lot of paper work, record keeping, stupid daily signatures, etc etc etc that needs to be done. At my store my receiver has the power to tell vendor's "NO". Your area isn't cleaned up, no PO for you. A merchandiser never worked out your order from last Friday and you are trying to bring in 3 more pallets today, your shipment is refused, oh you have a PO that you found a random softlines ETL to sign, I don't f'ing care, denied. LOL receiver takes some thick skin. Vendors get paid as soon as Target accepts the merchandise. I had a Pepsi vendor notorious for over ordering right before he would go on vacation then his fill in salesman would have to deal with having way to much product for the two weeks the regular vendor was gone. Got to the point where if I didn't sign his paper the receiver denied everyone of his shipments. Pepsi corporate got involved long store short he works for coke now as a stocker.

If you are only covering 15 minute breaks and lunchs you will be fine. Make sure people have their PO#'s and things match up. No PO# or something doesn't feel right, they wait till the receiver gets back from their 15 minute break or lunch be firm. A vendor needs you to give him a PO# for his huge order and you don't feel comfortable he waits for the receiver or you call LOD.
However..... If you are going to be covering a two week vacation or something there is a lot of paper work, record keeping, stupid daily signatures, etc etc etc that needs to be done. At my store my receiver has the power to tell vendor's "NO". Your area isn't cleaned up, no PO for you. A merchandiser never worked out your order from last Friday and you are trying to bring in 3 more pallets today, your shipment is refused, oh you have a PO that you found a random softlines ETL to sign, I don't f'ing care, denied. LOL receiver takes some thick skin. Vendors get paid as soon as Target accepts the merchandise. I had a Pepsi vendor notorious for over ordering right before he would go on vacation then his fill in salesman would have to deal with having way to much product for the two weeks the regular vendor was gone. Got to the point where if I didn't sign his paper the receiver denied everyone of his shipments. Pepsi corporate got involved long store short he works for coke now as a stocker.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Haha yes that happened to me before where a rep would order right before vacation. He got me when i was new but i refused 2 of his orders already. It straightens them up in a hurry. I have also refused for not putting in credits.

Never refuse a shipment. Try to figure it out by going into recv and ask the vendor for help or call an ETL.

Oh you can refuse a shipment...or at least most of one if its the stupid wine vendors. Ive had my receiver telling me he has turned away most of an order once because they ordered crap we had full on the shelf AND had some in the backroom. He has to have a hawk eye on those vendors or else our backroom gets stuffed

My receiver is probably the most...underrated?...underappreciated? person in the entire store. They are a rockstar and I try to mention them at huddles. Without them Pfresh would be a heck of a lot harder for me

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks to everyone for the tips, keep them coming! Sounds like receiving will be a different kind of challenge than everything else I'm trained as. But I'm ready to take it head on.

Our receiver is trying to cross train me so that she has a backup/coverage for when she needs a day off. I've got checking in mail, ESIM/Salvage scanning and sorting, sweep loading/paperwork and the entire MIR process down. The vendors scare the crap out of me though...they'll eat me alive.

Our receiver is trying to cross train me so that she has a backup/coverage for when she needs a day off. I've got checking in mail, ESIM/Salvage scanning and sorting, sweep loading/paperwork and the entire MIR process down. The vendors scare the crap out of me though...they'll eat me alive.
Have your receiver make an excel document showing which vendors will come on which days. Then have the receiver put notes next to which ones are "trouble makers". At my store our frito lay and pepperidge farm vendors are great, they've proven to me that when I help them out they won't screw me over. They've also been doing it for so long that they know which receipt needs a stamp and what barcode gets scanned and probably could do the whole process themselves if given a pda. If you are covering on a day that a known problem vendor is coming just partner with the Logistics TL early on and let them know hey so and so is coming today can I call you to give me a hand when they arive. Any Logistics TL worth his salt will be glad to help.

This is on par with taking notes but learn how to find something on Workbench. Sometimes your receiver won't be around to answer some questions BUT a lot of the info can be found on Workbench. Also, learn who you can partner with in your store. There's probably a few TMs that know the process well enough to help you in a pinch or if something feels fishy about a vendor, bring it to the attention of your CTL or ETLs food/SF/Log.

If you feel like a delivery may need to be refused, talk to your leadership first! Personally, I feel better about refusing orders (as a CTL) than letting my receiver take the heat.

Wow, I wish my receiver was like everyone else's. Ours accepts anything and everything and puts zero effort into making sure they maintain their areas and that they're bringing what is actually necessary.

Wow, I wish my receiver was like everyone else's. Ours accepts anything and everything and puts zero effort into making sure they maintain their areas and that they're bringing what is actually necessary.

Most new product is autoshipped for most vendors anyway for the seasonal sets. Its just the regular instocks you have to watch out for from them, especially the Wine Vendors. We had to crack down and tell them to ONLY order what was completely out on the shelf in order to get their stuff out of the backroom since it was overflowing on their shelves.

The vendors won't eat you alive... They will trample over you to tenderize first.

Just kidding. Anyone that covers for me will tell me who the problem vendors were. I then have a conversation with that vendor. Just because I am away doesn't mean that the way things are done changes.

I was recently asked if I wanted to learn receiving, primarily to check in vendors, in the event that no one else was there. I relucantly said yes. I hope i'm not getting myself into some crap here by agreeing to do it

Receiver for 8 years. I broke down a list of the vendors (with their vendor ID #) based on ADSD, assign PO#, use their PO#, and scan based trade. This cuts down on some of the questions.
Wouldn't put down anything about the vendors regarding the sales person. You never know who might see it.

Learn each step until you are comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back