Archived recycling- be hones

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of your cleaning crews actually empty the recycling containers at the front end AND send the items to recycling? I bet (from experience) that most of the stuff goes directly into the compactor. I have asked our SFT about it and "I dunno" is his stock answer to everything.

For a while we had a alt-chick TL who was green captain and made sure it was all happening but they shoved her out (she got another job just before they fired her).
So now it all goes in the same place.
Sad really.

As per the best practice (located under logistics) that responsibility is given to the ETL-GE/cart attendant.

What happens to all those Plastic Bottles, placed into the Deposit return thingie outside?

I have no idea if they actually recycle all that stuff. I think it's just a front, because there's no recycling elsewhere in the store. Nothing but garbage cans in tsc/the breakroom and they're always filled with recycling.

You'd be right to have your doubts about whether the recycling is actually getting recycled or not.

Now, I don't know about Spot, but when I used to work at a grocery store that had recycling bins I know that sometimes it got recycled and sometimes it went into the trash compactor, for reasons that are too much to get into here & now.

Definitely a shame, but...that's thew way it was.

All I know about the machines is that after they're emptied out, the bags of crushed cans and plastic bottles go into special bins in the backroom (one for cans and one for plastic) and glass goes into another bin. What happens to the contents of those bins? I have no idea.

I have no idea if they actually recycle all that stuff. I think it's just a front, because there's no recycling elsewhere in the store. Nothing but garbage cans in tsc/the breakroom and they're always filled with recycling.

At my store, we have two recycling bins in the break room, but they're only for redeemables. In the public domain, we have bins for plastic bags and small electronics recycling. We also have a bin in the TSC for recycling paper. When I asked my ETL-HR what to do with non-redeemable plastic bottles (I don't drink pop), he said to put them in the plastic bag bin because they're plastic.

I know for a fact at my store that the Electronic Items bin was properly recycled. Couple times a month I would empty it out, and we had Shipping Labels to send them to a Recycling Center. Not sure about others.

We had a lady who would take all of our recycled plastic bags at Guest Service for her Non Profit Organization. Was kinda nice when we started getting full :D

We got 3 or 4 of the metal cages they use for cardboard full of plastic bags sitting around right now....really hard to make room for them when setting up the line....we've been making a maze between the back hallway of the stockroom and the compactor......

we have a bin for plastic bottles and plastic in receiving, when they get full i send them back to the DC when i load up the truck for the sweep, but i know FOR A FACT that our cleaning crew dosent recycle the bottles, they go straight to the compactor. when i used to do the cardboard for the flow team, i saw them everyday throw out stuff that could have been sent back on the sweep.

our store is the WORST at recycling. the only recycling that goes out properly is the plastic wrap, and Rx bottles. our cleaning crew would recycle the bottles/etc but it is always full of trash. particularly the breakroom. Literally no one can tell the difference between a regular trash can and a giant blue bin with RECYCLING all over it. major FAIL.

I observe our cleaning crew bagging up the contents of our bins by the front entrance every morning as I walk in. And then I see trash placed on top of it before all of it is wheeled back to our compactor.
That being said, I am under the impression that our store only recycles our plastic wrap and the RX bottles. But yet every other week in our huddles we are reminded of how important recycling is and how we can make an impact on Earth for "our kids, grand kids, and generations to come". Ugh

that on top of all the things that just go into the compactor. literally thousands of dollars of things into the compactor. sometimes things like fixtures and gondola parts that should be swept back. its insane.

that on top of all the things that just go into the compactor. literally thousands of dollars of things into the compactor. sometimes things like fixtures and gondola parts that should be swept back. its insane.

On my side I was always very careful to make pallets out of anything that could be swept back, damaged shelves, fixtures, pretty much anything metal.

I was just telling our SFT that he needed to paint a pallet Green and designate it for metal fixtures that need to be recycled. I get some here and there and its impossible to keep track of them until I have enough to sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back