Archived Red Card Pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
Okay for all those struggling to sell the idea of red cards, this is my pitch. I've have our store record at 11 in one day. Just trying to help out.

What to look for

1.) Women. Women have purses, and often carry checks. If you can't go for the credit card you can likely set them up with the debit card because they likely have their checkbook in there.

2.) Couples. If you see a couple coming through your line they are both there and can't give you the excuse that they have to talk to their husband or wife first. This is especially effective if they have a huge cart and are spending hundreds of dollars.

3.) People with full carts or items costing hundreds of dollars. Do the math. Every hundred dollars they spend is essentially 5 dollars savings. Had a guy last night that spent over 500. "Sir just today alone it will save you over 25 dollars."

Those are the big ones. Bottom line ask every guest. It can and will be exhausting but I've signed people up on purchases of as little as 6 and change.

My pitch:

I have a couple versions but this one seems most effective:

Ice breaker. Talk about weather or local sports team, anything. Joke around to let them know you are human.

"Do you shop at Target often?"

Hope for a yes or so-so

"Even if you do a decent bit of shopping we have this thing called a red card. It saves you 5% off of every transaction. I've had guests with well over 200 dollars savings on the year already (Not a lie btw). It only takes about a minute and we can do it while I'm scanning your items."

"Is that like a credit card?"

"Doesn't have to be. We also offer it as a debit card. If you do a lot of shopping here I can set you up with the debit version. Funds just come right from your checking account, you can still do cash back, the only difference is when you come to target you swipe the red target card with target symbols on it as opposed to using your mac card. That's a free easy way to get the 5% discount, doesn't cost you anything, there is no line of credit involved, and no bills to worry about paying."

Speak slowly, make eye contact, and speak with confidence. You will be amazed how many guests will bite. Even for the credit card. Hope it helps. Once they bite though, keep quiet unless asked a question. Sometimes too much info hurts you.

Last edited:
It's harder to do when it's busy though. You might lose a sale because they don't want to tie up the line. Best hope in that situation is to hit the additional assistance button and say you have backup on the way.

Target should allow you to open a Target Debit Card with your regular debt card... I don't have checks, and I don't want to order checks to use just one to open a Target Debit Card. Now if they changed something to where this was possible without a check, they would have significantly more people sign up.

Okay for all those struggling to sell the idea of red cards, this is my pitch. I've have our store record at 11 in one day. Just trying to help out.

What to look for

1.) Women. Women have purses, and often carry checks. If you can't go for the credit card you can likely set them up with the debit card because they likely have their checkbook in there.

2.) Couples. If you see a couple coming through your line they are both there and can't give you the excuse that they have to talk to their husband or wife first. This is especially effective if they have a huge cart and are spending hundreds of dollars.

3.) People with full carts or items costing hundreds of dollars. Do the math. Every hundred dollars they spend is essentially 5 dollars savings. Had a guy last night that spent over 500. "Sir just today alone it will save you over 25 dollars."

Those are the big ones. Bottom line ask every guest. It can and will be exhausting but I've signed people up on purchases of as little as 6 and change.

My pitch:

I have a couple versions but this one seems most effective:

Ice breaker. Talk about weather or local sports team, anything. Joke around to let them know you are human.

"Do you shop at Target often?"

Hope for a yes or so-so

"Even if you do a decent bit of shopping we have this thing called a red card. It saves you 5% off of every transaction. I've had guests with well over 200 dollars savings on the year already (Not a lie btw). It only takes about a minute and we can do it while I'm scanning your items."

"Is that like a credit card?"

"Doesn't have to be. We also offer it as a debit card. If you do a lot of shopping here I can set you up with the debit version. Funds just come right from your checking account, you can still do cash back, the only difference is when you come to target you swipe the red target card with target symbols on it as opposed to using your mac card. That's a free easy way to get the 5% discount, doesn't cost you anything, there is no line of credit involved, and no bills to worry about paying."

Speak slowly, make eye contact, and speak with confidence. You will be amazed how many guests will bite. Even for the credit card. Hope it helps. Once they bite though, keep quiet unless asked a question. Sometimes too much info hurts you.

Those are some awesome suggestions -- I think I may try them! GTC to you!

Target should allow you to open a Target Debit Card with your regular debt card... I don't have checks, and I don't want to order checks to use just one to open a Target Debit Card. Now if they changed something to where this was possible without a check, they would have significantly more people sign up.

I believe they are rolling out the checkless debit card in a month or so... I could be wrong on the timing of it, but I have heard it was something that was coming down the pike.

Thank you. Keep in mind you are going to get shot down a lot. The key is to talk to every guest like they're your best friend. I've had instances where I've set 3 guests in a row up because they all heard my pitch, they saw how quick it was, and they all wanted to save. You'll get that, the trick is to have the tenacity to keep asking. Just put the extra effort into the guests I told you about because they are more likely to take the time to do it. Eye contact (this is the most important if anything), slow speaking, seduce'em. lol.

Debt card - truer than you know.....

The main sticking point is that, to access the acct that the guest's debit is tied to, a certain level of access would have to be granted. Probably along the lines of the guest swiping their card & entering their PIN. Lots of folks are paranoid enough about acct access without granting access to an outside source & banks would balk at something that's going to piggyback on THEIR card (& taking an incremental amt of business).

Thank you. Keep in mind you are going to get shot down a lot. The key is to talk to every guest like they're your best friend. I've had instances where I've set 3 guests in a row up because they all heard my pitch, they saw how quick it was, and they all wanted to save. You'll get that, the trick is to have the tenacity to keep asking. Just put the extra effort into the guests I told you about because they are more likely to take the time to do it. Eye contact (this is the most important if anything), slow speaking, seduce'em. lol.

Oh I get shot down all the time, it comes with the territory. But I am trying to challenge my cashiers to change up their pitch so it doesn't sound so automated. They just rattle off the simple pitch, and give absolutely no emotion whatsoever, which doesn't make for many applications. I have been encouraging them to do exactly what you have been doing (and telling them it may not work every time but it is worth a shot). I actually did three in a row myself when I was backing up once just by asking a different way, so no doubt it can be done!

Oh I get shot down all the time, it comes with the territory. But I am trying to challenge my cashiers to change up their pitch so it doesn't sound so automated. They just rattle off the simple pitch, and give absolutely no emotion whatsoever, which doesn't make for many applications. I have been encouraging them to do exactly what you have been doing (and telling them it may not work every time but it is worth a shot). I actually did three in a row myself when I was backing up once just by asking a different way, so no doubt it can be done!

I was hired as seasonal. I laughed when I saw some of the other cashiers pitch red cards.

-prompt

"Wanna save 5% by opening a red card?"

"Not today."

"mKay"

Obviously that cashier never heard of ABC (Always Be Closing). lol Weakest attempt at a red card ever.

Furthermore, I'd encourage your cashiers to watch this:

(Warning there is some language involved)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCf46yHIzSo&feature=fvwrel

I watch this before every shift on the lanes. lol

Last edited:
^^^ you watch that every day and you are still a retail cashier? Where is your set of brass?

Hey I actually took a big pay cut to come here. I was in a small start up company before selling fabric. I quit because I wanted to work for a bigger company so I could get more hopefully. I started in November, give me some time and let me work my thing. :D

-cashier, guest service, cart attendant, and soon to start gsa training. also started electronics training but i don't know why that never was completed... used to work at circuit city so i have some sales pitches under my belt.

Last edited:
don't like it? quit...I typed this response on a $90,000 dollar keyboard...I made that in two hours on the FLOWTEAM!

Hahahaha! I sometimes ask myself why I try so hard when I'm getting 14 cents above minimum. It's because of the art and craft of selling I guess. I love movies like that. Boiler Room is another classic fyi.

I used to Cashier and selling Redcards was awful! Guests can be so rude about it! But what really worked for me is this:

1) If they have kids, I like to point out how 'The 5% they save can be donated to a local school of their choice'.

2)If their couponers, I point out that having a red card means Target will mail you coupon books. (Some women told me they do this, not 100% it's true).

2) If they spend A LOT, I point out just how much they could've saved if they had a red card.

My pitch:
"Hi! Would you be interested in saving 5% with us with our Target Redcard? The 5% you save can be donated to a local school of your choice! (point to the little picture showing how much we've donated to the local schools already)."

It works for me most of the time. =]

My pitch:
"Hi! Would you be interested in saving 5% with us with our Target Redcard? The 5% you save can be donated to a local school of your choice! (point to the little picture showing how much we've donated to the local schools already)."

It works for me most of the time. =]

Careful! Only 1% of their purchase totals are donated toward the school of their choice.

Good tips. Honestly, its all about perception. 90% of my cashiers don't say anything beyond what the prompt tells them to.. I try to get them to but they're uncomfortable I guess.. kinda lame.

I get like 2 Reds a day by jumping on when the LOD is watching for me.. I probably do maybe 30 transactions a day?

There are a few cashiers that always go the extra mile, and guess what: their conversion is always near double digits.

We have one woman has done 15 in one day, needless to say that she hasn't had to pay for meal here in a long time. She is a sweet old lady. She just goes through her little pitch and heavily emphasis "Would you like to save 5% EVERYDAY?" And apparently that's enough.

I ask when supposed to, but honestly stopped caring lol. My conversion will still be in the double digits though, so I don't really care. Theres more important things to be focusing on, such as Checkout is fast, and survey scores.

I specifically say debit card works like a check card and save 5 percent and say it peppy and guess what? Nothing.......... I honestly believe if we had those reward cards like Best Buy guests would be lining up everyday. Spot needs to think about a rewards card program and yes I know we have one for the pharmacy but alot of people do not use the pharmacy.

BTW, Take Charge of Education donates to ANY school that is listed, including charter schools, religious schools, private academies, etc. If the school has enrolled, they can benefit. Since so many states (mine included) have cut education funding, it's def a plus. You can also go to the TCOE site, enter your school & find out how much they've gotten through TCOE. Parents can also change the designated school as their kids move up the grades.

Good tips. Honestly, its all about perception. 90% of my cashiers don't say anything beyond what the prompt tells them to.. I try to get them to but they're uncomfortable I guess.. kinda lame.

I get like 2 Reds a day by jumping on when the LOD is watching for me.. I probably do maybe 30 transactions a day?

There are a few cashiers that always go the extra mile, and guess what: their conversion is always near double digits.

Yeah my conversion is usuallly a 10.00 when I'm scheduled cashier most days. It's harder to achieve when I get scheduled at the service desk for 3 days or more.

After reading all this, I found it interesting that the cashier's manual specifically says not to pitch the red card unless prompted by the register.

After reading all this, I found it interesting that the cashier's manual specifically says not to pitch the red card unless prompted by the register.

Yea, these days the rule is to pretty much ask everybody.

Yea, these days the rule is to pretty much ask everybody.

That's what the cashier who I was working with this afternoon told me when I asked her about that.

Interestingly enough, she was also the cashier of someone who filled out a survey and won the $5,000 prize. So she got to pick out a camera at the electronics dept.

For what it's worth, lately the first red cards of the day have been announced over the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back