Archived Red Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question about Red Cards.

I work at a store with heavy tourist traffic. Tons of people a day (average sales about $240,000 a day on a busy day, sometimes more) a lot, and I mean a majority, of people are either from out of the country and can't get Red Cards, don't have a Target back home so they don't want one, or they're a regular and already have one. I'm trying to get cross trained (I'm a cashier now and also work Guest Service) in Hardlines and Grocery, but they refuse to let me until I start getting more Red Cards. I average 2-5 a week most weeks, it's been slow recently so I haven't goten as many lately. Someone was just let go after their 90 review because they hadn't gotten anyone to signup at all.

I really want to get trained everywhere and move up in the company. So my question is, how can I get more Red Cards, and do any of your stores get on your ass about getting Red Cards?

My store is in a similar situation. Just keep asking everyone. Partner with whomever is getting the most and find out what they're doing.

We're at a standstill right now, I am the one getting the most with my handful per week, and have the highest cashier speed (between 96 and 99% each week) they complain about my conversion percent the most and that's why I need more. Average between 1500-2100 transactions per week, so my 3 red cards this week didn't give a high conversion rate. It's mostly visitors from England or Brazil, or Canadians who don't have a local Target and don't want red card, or people who live in a state that either doesn't have a Target or their "local" Target is a 45 minute drive. I ask almost every guest that I can (I avoid old folks who always complain about the security breech, and there's a bunch of retirement communities in the area, so they're a majority of the locals)

It's just a tough Target to get Red Cards at. Tourists and old folks. They all either don't want one, have one already, or can't get one due to foreign residency.

IMO, 3-5 a week is not that bad. And just do your best and don't get anxious when they bully you, because let me tell you, no matter how many you get, it is never enough for them. You could get 20 a day, and your ETL would come up to you and say "All right, TM, let's make it 25 today!" Just make sure you are asking everyone.

And the thing about not transferring you until you get more RC? They are just trying to manipulate you into getting more RC for them. It has nothing to do with crosstraining. If you do manage to get a lot of RCs, they WILL keep you on the register so you can keep helping their conversion score.

I don't know about other stores but we're in punishment mode. TMs who don't get a red card during their day time shift will have to stay late the next time they work a closing shift. So, if Cathy Cashier works the opening shift today and closing tomorrow and doesn't get at least one of the almighty red cards today, she'll have to stay late tomorrow. Nothing like punitive action to give TMs warm fuzzies about their employer!

Way to go, Spot! Let's see how well this works for ya'.

:::wanders off muttering something about rat bastahds:::

Oh yeah, they have been really mean to cashiers. Threatening less hours, threatening termination, talking down to them, making them cry. I've seen cashiers crying on the lanes and crying coming out of the offices with red faced leaders right behind them. Guess what? It's not working. Our GE-ETL has gotten scary aggressive with guests and TMs about getting credit or debit cards. When I say they are the only thing any of them care about at my store I'm not exaggerating. It's awful!

I don't know about other stores but we're in punishment mode. TMs who don't get a red card during their day time shift will have to stay late the next time they work a closing shift. So, if Cathy Cashier works the opening shift today and closing tomorrow and doesn't get at least one of the almighty red cards today, she'll have to stay late tomorrow. Nothing like punitive action to give TMs warm fuzzies about their employer!

If your store leadership wasn't incompetent they'd at least TRY to frame it as positive reinforcement. "We need recovery teams to stay later. However, if you get a redcard, during your next closing shift you'll get to leave early! yay!" Semantics, but at least it paints it in a slightly better light.

No question, but they're clearly already breaking that policy hand over fist.

Cashiers at my store are scheduled till 11:00 or 12:00 every night (right at closing time) and we're kept late every single night, at least an hour and 15 minutes after. How is that punishment for you guys? It's mandatory for our cashiers.

I get what TimmyD is saying at my store my best cashier gets like 3-5 a week but since transaction counta are so high thats maybe a 1.8% so leadership says if you arent making the 2.5% ur suppose to why move you to a different area if you cant do the job u have now... its not fair

The problem is that the action is punitive in nature. When cashiers really want or need hours there are none to be had yet they're given one or two extra a week for what's seen as "poor performance"? Hog wash. It's ridiculous and regardless of how others might see it the cashiers view this not as being given extra hours but as being punished. And yes to what Cel and Dude said. Those approaches would at least be seen in a better light, even if the intent was the same. As I said, I don't know how other stores do things but from what I've heard recently, what's happening in ours is happening in others.

I find creative and humorous ways of asking (when the situation allows it) If someone is getting light bulbs I say "oh this is a bright idea. Want to know what else is a bright idea? You saving 5% every time you shop at this beautiful establishment!" It isn't for everyone but it works for me.

Making people stay late because they didn't get redcards the day before sounds stupid to me. First off you are going over payroll and paying people extra money for no reason and second they really can't make you stay if it's your scheduled time to go. Seems like it's time to call the hotline on that store.

If I needed hours I would never get red cards just so they would keep me late. Plus I thought spot was big on no retaliation?

Can guests get the debit card from home without a check now?
Can they apply at the kiosk now too?

Can guests get the debit card from home without a check now?
Can they apply at the kiosk now too?

I applied for my debit red card at home on the computer. You don't need a check, but you need a routing and account number. I dont know anything about the kiosk thouh

Since the registry kiosks can get on target.com I assume you could use them to apply for a red card.

Huh. I'm scheduled 8 hours next week... So if the keep me late, I get more. Cool beans!

I'd leave and call the hotline. I noticed on my closing shift on the newest schedule they did it unit 15 after close. I can't get out at 10. And when the LOD wouldn't let me out until 10:25, I did a punch correction. No way am I not getting paid for being trapped.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back