Archived RedCards and Corrective Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I am kind of at a loss. Front end moral is plummeting faster each day at my store. Two of my peers on the front end have quit. Now one of my fellow TLs was put on corrective action for low redcard conversation. Last I knew, we couldn't put team members on a corrective action for that, so isn't it a double standard for this to happen?

I'm kind of at a loss. I don't trust my ETL's judgement and I don't know if I can make it until chat sessions....Is my ETL in the right or am I being out-of-line to want to call her out on it?

you can't be coached off of numbers but you can be coached on the what you have or haven't done to not reach your goal. It's not really your place to call out an ETL for someone else. I'd stay out of it and spend your time trying to fix the issues at the front end.

If you are asking everyone and still not getting any cards, they can't ding you.
If you don't ask and you don't get cards, they will performance you out the door.

Would it be better if they took a look at the TMs overall performance and if possible moved them to a position they were better suited to?
Yes of course, but hardly likely.

As a GSTL I can tell you that it is possible to coach people out for not asking about redcards.

If I have a TM that is asking and doing their absolute best but not getting great results, there is really nothing I can do but continue to encourage them. If TM is refusing to ask or put little effort then it is definitely an offense that I will put them on a CCA and eventually term them for if they refuse to try and get better.

TLs are a little more difficult because they do not generally impact conversion directly. Your peer was probably put on a CCA because your ETL feels like they are not holding their team accountable to asking about redcards or doing anything to try and motivate the team to do better.

I understand why Target emphasizes conversion, but dang, TMs shouldn't have to go to extremes to sell a red card. Whoa, 5% savings and a data breach? Sign me up. Still don't trust Target has fixed their issue completely. But it is a free savings, which is nice.

Some stores do really well with conversion but I don't believe results reflect how hard TMs are working. Some stores just have the right consumer base to sell a lot of Red cards.

So ridiculous. Being felt like I was being forced to sell a store credit card was the #1 reason I left Sears. I am not a pushy person when it comes to that kind of thing. Yes I may talk up certain food products, video games or sporting events (my undergrad was in sport management) but I'm not going to push a credit card on someone. I will NEVER force someone to buy something. I picked up a few cashier shifts when I worked at Target and hated it because the GSAs and GSTLs would always be up my ass about red cards. I could deal with being the cashier at the boat because they weren't looking over my shoulder while I was back in electronics. If guests feel like they are being pressured to sign up for something they don't want they won't come back. My stepmom refuses to shop at the one Target near her because the cashier pestered the hell out of her one time to sign up for a red card. Yes she still shops at Target but will go nowhere near that particular store.

So ridiculous. Being felt like I was being forced to sell a store credit card was the #1 reason I left Sears. I am not a pushy person when it comes to that kind of thing. Yes I may talk up certain food products, video games or sporting events (my undergrad was in sport management) but I'm not going to push a credit card on someone. I will NEVER force someone to buy something. I picked up a few cashier shifts when I worked at Target and hated it because the GSAs and GSTLs would always be up my ass about red cards. I could deal with being the cashier at the boat because they weren't looking over my shoulder while I was back in electronics. If guests feel like they are being pressured to sign up for something they don't want they won't come back. My stepmom refuses to shop at the one Target near her because the cashier pestered the hell out of her one time to sign up for a red card. Yes she still shops at Target but will go nowhere near that particular store.

Interesting, I turned down a job offer at Sears, for the job offer at Target. Mainly because I was told at my Sears interview that they expected you to sell 9 credit cards for every 100 transactions. And other people told me that Sears actually fires people for not being able to sell cards. When I accepted Target's offer I made sure that my job wasn't dependent on selling the cards. I'm not a pushy salesperson either. I'd ask (until the end where I just didn't care anymore) like I was supposed to. But I wouldn't push. If they said no, they said no and I said ok. The only time I'd mention it again was if they racked up an impressive total. Then I'd say "Are you sure you don't want to save that 5%" And I point blank told my TLs that I was not going to push it to customer aggravation. I don't know why so many retail stores are now pushing the credit thing to the extreme they are. As a consumer, I don't want to be pestered every time I go to a particular store. And I will avoid shopping there if I feel pestered like that.

Here's a question though... people have said they would coach their cashiers for not asking, or wanting to try. How can you tell the difference between who's not asking, and who just can't get anyone to say yes no matter how hard they try? Toward the end when I wasn't asking for the most part, I made it a point to be aware of what ETLs or whoever was in hearing range. I asked when I knew someone was close by but that was it. So aside from actually hearing them not ask, how can you even tell?

I don't know why so many retail stores are now pushing the credit thing to the extreme they are. As a consumer, I don't want to be pestered every time I go to a particular store. And I will avoid shopping there if I feel pestered like that.

I was in Kohl's recently and an announcement for their credit card came over the PA system about every 10 minutes. Do they really think I'm going to want to open a credit card after listening to that for at least three times?!

I shop at Target often enough that most of the cashiers know I have a REDcard, so they don't even ask me anymore.

I don't understand the big focus on the red cards especially after the big debacle in November. I still have guests that's are mad about this. They definitely ripped the band aid off too soon for this. I even have told the STL & the ETL's we need to focus on "the vibe" more making the guests happy, not badger them about saving them 5%. My cashiers get upset because the guests still don't want to be asked, yea they start out by saying will you be using your red card today to save 5%, we should stop there if they already say no but no they want us to keep going. But what do I know, I'm just a GSA.

Here's a question though... people have said they would coach their cashiers for not asking, or wanting to try. How can you tell the difference between who's not asking, and who just can't get anyone to say yes no matter how hard they try? Toward the end when I wasn't asking for the most part, I made it a point to be aware of what ETLs or whoever was in hearing range. I asked when I knew someone was close by but that was it. So aside from actually hearing them not ask, how can you even tell?

I've had my Sr GSTL and various other LODs tell me to stand behind cashiers (either openly or just zone next to them all shift) and listen to them, and report them for coaching if they weren't asking every guest...

God I hate this place and the people that run it sometimes - was the only thought that ran through my head every time I was asked that.

Yes I was told also to do drive bys to see if they are asking. If you hit the decline offer button to quick also it comes up on the LPDA telling us that you bypassed the savings something like that.

I don't know why so many retail stores are now pushing the credit thing to the extreme they are. As a consumer, I don't want to be pestered every time I go to a particular store. And I will avoid shopping there if I feel pestered like that.

I was in Kohl's recently and an announcement for their credit card came over the PA system about every 10 minutes. Do they really think I'm going to want to open a credit card after listening to that for at least three times?!

I shop at Target often enough that most of the cashiers know I have a REDcard, so they don't even ask me anymore.

Loyalty cards generate a lot of repeat business and profits from high interest rates. Target was very behind on pushing this program. Most mall type retails were already pushing these types of programs extremely heavily. The fact that I find most interesting is that Target doesn't own its financial service department (Target Credit Cards) anymore. It has been sold to a third party that now controls and benefits from the majority of the profits. I'm sure Target still gets a share but the risk/benefit is now owned by another company or at least is managed by another company.

it is unfair that we get in trouble for something we have no control over. I can understand getting in trouble for not talking about the Redcard but I refuse to force a guest to sign up for a credit card or debit card.

Interesting, I turned down a job offer at Sears, for the job offer at Target. Mainly because I was told at my Sears interview that they expected you to sell 9 credit cards for every 100 transactions. And other people told me that Sears actually fires people for not being able to sell cards.

My ex was on the chopping block at Sears because she didn't sell enough credit cards. She quit before they could fire her, though.

If you hit the decline offer button to quick also it comes up on the LPDA telling us that you bypassed the savings something like that.

The LPDA alert should be taken with a grain of salt because some cashiers (myself included) ask the guest before the prompt shows on the screen. If I've already gotten a no from the guest, I go straight for the K8 button if there's a prompt.

The LPDA alert should be taken with a grain of salt because some cashiers (myself included) ask the guest before the prompt shows on the screen. If I've already gotten a no from the guest, I go straight for the K8 button if there's a prompt.

Yeah, when I did ask, it was at the beginning of the transaction .. "Hi, how are you today? Will you be saving 5%.. yadda yadda yadda" So when the prompt popped up I was hitting K8 instantly. Funny thing about ETLs walking around listening to see who asked... we had one ETL who was on everyones case to ask, but yet when she occasionally found herself on a register, no one EVER heard her ask. I wish it was a "loyalty card" vs a credit/debit card. In the course of the 8 months I was with spot, I had countless people who said yes to the pitch, until they realized "Oh it's a NOT a saving's card? It's a credit/debit? Oh never mind then"

I've only seen one once, I think it has a high threshold for triggering.

I see it on a rare occasion...heck, I've gotten the alert on myself! But I know I will hit it fast if I know it's coming (like for a cash order over the $42).

I might actually throat punch the next ETL/TL/Intern that preaches about the new higher conversion. We know, it's all you ever talk about... Never mind that 50 people changed their lives because you people think it's a great idea to take double trucks for the next 4 weeks. Your projections are way off ? WHOA!! Maybe it was the b-word we don't talk about anymore because every time it's hinted it BAM!! Hours get cut. We've been consistently making sales by 5k minimum since July 4. Peons didn't tank the bullseye so shut the hell up with your damn red cards. It makes me very angry. No I am not a f****** register nor can I run to one. I talk to guests about them when I can but most of the time I don't see guests or I'm overnight. Team comes in at 2 so there isn't much time to push Satan's cards on innocent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back