Archived Redcards... HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagreed. With no staff working & doing backing up cashiering. How can sftl or hltm cover all areas,when not there it is happening at my store now.

If nobody in your store is able to perform then obviously there is an issue beyond what we are discussing here... However if some team members are able to keep call boxes from going red and others can't then the ones that can't should be talked to... Conversion is the same to me...

I disagreed. With no staff working & doing backing up cashiering. How can sftl or hltm cover all areas,when not there it is happening at my store now.

If nobody in your store is able to perform then obviously there is an issue beyond what we are discussing here... However if some team members are able to keep call boxes from going red and others can't then the ones that can't should be talked to... Conversion is the same to me...

After 2pm, there is 2 hl & 2 sl on the floor including electronics these days. Our sales are bad. The Lod says everyone go backup except electronics. What can you do?

The purpose of my original post was to point out that if the expectation was that every TM was supposed to accomplish something (take being green on conversion), and some/most were able to accomplish this but there were some that weren't, then its an expectation that this TM is not making and requires discussion... If NOBODY in your store can accomplish green conversion, then something at the store needs to change! There is a major issue if nobody on the salesfloor can guarantee green salesfloor speeds (including the TLs)... Just like there is an issue if nobody can get green conversion including the GSTLs! So if Hardlinesmaster is on the salesfloor with a few TMs and always has green salesfloor speeds while working, but a certain new TM always just "isn't paying attention" and lets callboxes go to red while they are covering the floor what should you do? They know how to clear it, they know they are supposed to get it, they just are spacing out! If all my cashiers have a 2.5 conversion, but a certain cashier has a .3 and always "forgets to ask" what should you do? That is my only point...

Our store is really focusing on RedCards. We're supposed to "ask every guest every time."
Sls floor TMs are also encouraged to tell guests about RC.
This past week I had two guests tell me (after I asked about the RC) that they were already asked while shopping.

What to do......in order for our store to get/stay green we need to get 10 RCs a day. Recently, we've been telling guests that, if they apply today then they can get a free drink at Starbucks. Another trick is to offer an additional $10 or $20 off the bill....if they apply right now. So, if a guest spends $100 they can get $10 off...and then an additional 5% with the RC. Even this incentive doesn't get many guests to sign up. I don't know what more we can offer the guest. I mean, their cost can go from $100 to about $86......and all they need is to get a RC....and yet we can't get guests to sign up.

10 RC a day doesn't seem like a lot....but it is often a difficult goal.
If they could figure out the issues with the checkless RC apps I bet our store would get those 10 RCs everyday.

Our store is really focusing on RedCards. We're supposed to "ask every guest every time."
Sls floor TMs are also encouraged to tell guests about RC.
This past week I had two guests tell me (after I asked about the RC) that they were already asked while shopping.

What to do......in order for our store to get/stay green we need to get 10 RCs a day. Recently, we've been telling guests that, if they apply today then they can get a free drink at Starbucks. Another trick is to offer an additional $10 or $20 off the bill....if they apply right now. So, if a guest spends $100 they can get $10 off...and then an additional 5% with the RC. Even this incentive doesn't get many guests to sign up. I don't know what more we can offer the guest. I mean, their cost can go from $100 to about $86......and all they need is to get a RC....and yet we can't get guests to sign up.

10 RC a day doesn't seem like a lot....but it is often a difficult goal.
If they could figure out the issues with the checkless RC apps I bet our store would get those 10 RCs everyday.

So thats where the 549 account went.... Shoot.

The purpose of my original post was to point out that if the expectation was that every TM was supposed to accomplish something (take being green on conversion), and some/most were able to accomplish this but there were some that weren't, then its an expectation that this TM is not making and requires discussion... If NOBODY in your store can accomplish green conversion, then something at the store needs to change! There is a major issue if nobody on the salesfloor can guarantee green salesfloor speeds (including the TLs)... Just like there is an issue if nobody can get green conversion including the GSTLs! So if Hardlinesmaster is on the salesfloor with a few TMs and always has green salesfloor speeds while working, but a certain new TM always just "isn't paying attention" and lets callboxes go to red while they are covering the floor what should you do? They know how to clear it, they know they are supposed to get it, they just are spacing out! If all my cashiers have a 2.5 conversion, but a certain cashier has a .3 and always "forgets to ask" what should you do? That is my only point...

I agreed. I am a little bitter. I do ask every time on backup. There is no one on floor to answer call boxes because they are on register. My store is broken.

So, our store has been struggling with REDcards as well, but we generally found that a lack of getting REDcards is due to a lack on engagement. The cashiers that were not getting REDcards were generally not engaging the guest in conversation, making eye contact or anything.

Due to the pressure of my DTL, STL and ETL-GE, my co-GSTLs and I have been forced to put half of my team on counselings in the last four months. A third of them quit when they saw we were serious about engagement and conversions. The other half improved of course. We have hired almost a brand new team and we are making great gains weekly. Also, my RedCard Rockstars...I mean, "Team Trainers", get more hours than those who are not performing.

1. Core Role Reviews w/ all GE team member. make sure you tell them they they can be held accountable for all their core roles and also make sure that you explain to them that the front end is one of the most important work centers. Why? b/c a guest could possibly come in and see no other team members, but to get back out the door they at least have to encounter a front end TM

2. "REDcard Awareness week". focus on REDcards and training in huddles, etc. you and GSAs train the TMs in Electronics, Pharmacy, Target Café/Starbucks, etc on how to drive REDcards. It has to be a store wide initiative!

3. REDcard mentor program. My co-GSTLs and GSAs each focus on two front end TMs/month and give them tips, work through the way they engage and offer the REDcard, etc

4. Conversion Teams. Divide your front end up into teams with you and the GSAs as captains. Give the teams funny names and see which GSTL/GSA team can get the most REDcards. We give out prizes to the team that gets the most in a week/month - t-shirts, target dogs, etc. Each GSTL/GSA is responsible for super recognition of their team members.

5. Accountability. So, of course there are always those team members that have been there through 8 GSTLS and 12 ETL-GEs so they are the least likely to give in to your requests. If you find that you cannot motivate them, start the coaching process. Coach for behaviors (greeting guest, sharing the savings, asking guests for REDcards, core roles etc) and not just REDcards. Give them a timeline.

6. Follow up. Use the cashier speed report to show your cashiers their weekly speed and conversion. Make them initial weekly that you've had the conversation. My GSAs and I are responsible for showing their "conversion teams" their report and having them to initial. This is great documentation for future coaching and corrective conversations.

7. Daily one-on-one huddles. Give each cashier a daily/weekly goal. Follow up throughout the day and get them super pumped up!

8. Different types of recognition. One of the things we do to make sure everyone is getting recognized, instead of always focusing on the cashier that produces the most REDcards and to promote participation in the VIBE card program, the entire front end writes VIBE cards to team members who get REDcards on put them in a box. Then we pull 1-3 of the vibe cards and the writers/receivers both get a prize.

Sorry, that was a lot.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious how the only thing that comes out of most GSTLs' mouths is "Redcards"? Rofl.

News flash, your minimium wage cashiers and minimum wage +$.50 GSAs don't give a ****.

Due to the pressure of my DTL, STL and ETL-GE, my co-GSTLs and I have been forced to put half of my team on counselings in the last four months. A third of them quit when they saw we were serious about engagement and conversions. The other half improved of course. We have hired almost a brand new team and we are making great gains weekly. Also, my RedCard Rockstars...I mean, "Team Trainers", get more hours than those who are not performing.

If 1/3 of your team quit, then you obviously failed to inspire your team. Also wasn't there a best practice against cutting peoples hours based on performance?

549 that's the dept number for requisitioning items for TMs/store activities.....right?

@Imerzan

I actually agree totally with your sentiment. My ETL-GE talked to the STL that had the highest REDcard numbers in our district and thats what She said she did so our GE said thats what she would do. I "grew up" with this team starting as a cashier so of course this was really hard for me b/c these people are all people i really enjoyed working with for the most part. But my GE just said "this is just business" and the DTL came in and pulled the STL, GE, and GSTLs in the office to say that we had the lowest scores in the district and if we didnt improved we would be put on corrective.

Actually, I am a new TL and I actually don't make much more than my team. Actually, many of my team members make more than I do b/c they've been w/ Spot FOREVER. I was just a GSA about 6 months ago so trust me, I know what you mean.

I believe this post was about how to improve her REDcard culture so Im not exactly sure what else you wanted me to say????

Last edited:
549 that's the dept number for requisitioning items for TMs/store activities.....right?

Yup. Apparently AE2013 greatly reduced the 549 fund though.. I don't know how often its used anymore.

MrGSTL, thats all fine and dandy, but you still won't get much sympathy from TMs including myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yup. Apparently AE2013 greatly reduced the 549 fund though.. I don't know how often its used anymore.

MrGSTL, thats all fine and dandy, but you still won't get much sympathy from TMs including myself.

Im a little unclear about the issue here. The OP's concern was driving REDcards at her store and so I gave her the plan that my store was carrying out which helped us to be more successful. Im not looking for any type of sympathy. As a 'former GSA, was there not pressure for you to achieve REDcard goals?

Sometimes it is annoying with people getting RCs. I had a guest go thru my line on Friday (she's a pretty regular guest)...the woman in front of said guest applied for a RC. On Friday we were being told to "do what you have to" in order to get a guest to sign-up. I was offering a free beverage at SB. This guest said "no" to the RC.
So, today ( Saturday) my very first guest is the same woman who said "no" yesterday. Today she tells me she'd like to get a RC today....and that she'd like that "free beverage" that we offered yesterday.

Of course, I say "sure, we can get you that beverage" and then she applies for the RC as a debit card....and gets approved. I so want to ask this guest "What made you change your mind on getting the RC today....and not yesterday?" Of course I can't ask. I'm really wondering if the next time I see her if she'll be using her RC......I'm guessing she won't...that all she wanted was the free beverage.

Sometimes it is annoying with people getting RCs. I had a guest go thru my line on Friday (she's a pretty regular guest)...the woman in front of said guest applied for a RC. On Friday we were being told to "do what you have to" in order to get a guest to sign-up. I was offering a free beverage at SB. This guest said "no" to the RC.
So, today ( Saturday) my very first guest is the same woman who said "no" yesterday. Today she tells me she'd like to get a RC today....and that she'd like that "free beverage" that we offered yesterday.

Of course, I say "sure, we can get you that beverage" and then she applies for the RC as a debit card....and gets approved. I so want to ask this guest "What made you change your mind on getting the RC today....and not yesterday?" Of course I can't ask. I'm really wondering if the next time I see her if she'll be using her RC......I'm guessing she won't...that all she wanted was the free beverage.

LOL! I hear that. We used to give out candy bars for people that did REDcards and surveys. I guess that craziest thing for me is having the same guest that I have been asking for four years to get a REDcard sign up from someone else and then wave at me on the way out the door. ReAlLy?!?!?! lol

Im a little unclear about the issue here. The OP's concern was driving REDcards at her store and so I gave her the plan that my store was carrying out which helped us to be more successful. Im not looking for any type of sympathy. As a 'former GSA, was there not pressure for you to achieve REDcard goals?

Yes there was, but I just told management what they wanted to hear for 2 years and it got me by. In all honesty I never really pushed that hard for them, and instead focused elsewhere. Guest satisfaction should be top priority over Redcards, and the two don't always mix when it's busy. I had consistent positive feedback from guests for myself and the other TMs while I was working.

There's a reason walmart doesn't push cards on people and they're the biggest company in the world. Lol.

Yes there was, but I just told management what they wanted to hear for 2 years and it got me by. In all honesty I never really pushed that hard for them, and instead focused elsewhere. Guest satisfaction should be top priority over Redcards, and the two don't always mix when it's busy. I had consistent positive feedback from guests for myself and the other TMs while I was working.

Well, i guess that's a way to do it, but when a department is consistently RED there's only so much b.s. that you can feed management until they start making moves b/c they don't see the results they need. Especially when the VP of the company has made your department's metric a company-wide focus. I am all about guest satisfaction, as a matter of fact many of the guests at my store look for me so they wont have to deal w/ other managers which makes me feel like I do my job well. And out of 5 GSTL/GSAs I am one of two that receive great feedback in chat sessions w/ the HR about taking care of my team. I buy them lunch and all kinda stuff to recognize their hardwork. I may not be the best TL, but I am definitely far from the worst.

Actually walmarts lines aren't all that bad... Not bad since they don't have all those catchy terms like 1+1 huh? Oh wait....I forgot, lines at Target are ****ty too.

At least walmart you can check yourself out.

Also management can't really put a GSA on corrective based on their peers conversion scores.... Since gsas are TMs ya know? Don't act surprised, every GSA on this board knows that Target Leaders like to overlook this little fact...

You've obviously drank the red koolaid know as the vibe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back