Remember Logistics?

Remember your DC Logistics team? You know, the ones that “didnt really contribute” and they removed the positions? Now with Problem Solver and ICQA, they have more than quadrupled the number of team members that worked in those original Logistics jobs, doing basically the same thing. Which begs to wonder, how long will they actually keep those positions once everyone on the team is topped out?

Didn’t logistics just schedule trailers and create appointments? They never left their cubicles so it’s hard to know what the similarities are. Maybe you could shed some light on how they’re similar?

They got rid of logistics and they split it with TSS and the IB clericals. A good chunk of those logistics team members became AP. Which now handles all the the logistics stuff now and they've consistently added more and more people to AP. They did it because they had three different people all doing the same job. Why have three people doing the job when 2 could do it? I dabbled in TSS for about a few months or so. I can tell you they don't need a logistics team.

As far as ICQA and problem solvers Target was the only major retailer that I know of that DIDN'T have a dedicated quality team. AP was handling asset protection, quality AND logistics. Which is kind of ridiculous considering how accurate we need to be with 24 hour LOS and the fact that Target stores have postage stamp sized backrooms.

If you're complaining that your ICQA team is lazy and doesn't do anything have you actually gone and spoken to them and seen what they're doing? ICQA for me was 75% filling reports, verifying reports, and the checking locations against those reports. I know we weren't on the floor doing heavy labor but I had a ton of work I was doing almost every day. Anytime a location was wrong by a substantial amount, I would have to go back and figure out what happened and then depending on who made the error follow up. Research isn't always quick and I wanted to be thorough if I was providing feedback so that the right person(s) actually go it.

Wasn’t Dispatch it’s own department and that’s what TSS took parts of, where any parts of Logistics that stayed went to clericals? I remember them being separate with Logistics being inbound/dealing with carriers sitting in their cubicles and Dispatch being outbound/store issues and being at the truck gate. I could be remembering wrong though, they’ve been gone for quite a while.

Hal, your entire last paragraph was exactly what part of the logistics team did, the only difference being use of powered equipment. I just find it humorous that now they need 20ish people at the dc to do what 2-3 log techs did - quality, problem solving, and fixing errors.

Last edited:
I'm quite confident those 2-3 log techs weren't preforming the same tasks as the 20 icqa's at your location. Icqa's are however just like any other team member and the quality of them will vary greatly from one individual to the next.

I can tell you from being in ICQA that 2-3 log techs weren't doing the same. We had a couple former techs in ICQA. Quality was way worse in our building. We also had longer LOS of 3 to 5 days. So problems didn't need to be resolved as quickly. Now with atp to open and receive to put and TP90 things need to be out as fast as possible meaning they need to be resolved fast as possible.

Back