Remodel 2020

It’s been awhile! Happy 2020 everyone, so our store is preparing for a remodel ya us! The last remodel was in ‘07 when we got our Starbucks! Our store still has the 90 neon lights around it. Store moral is really up and everybody is excited! My SD says we’re one of the first stores to go through this remodel so she doesn’t even know what it supposed to look like when it’s done! For those who’ve been through a remodel what’s it like did you enjoy how was the outcome?

I moved to my store at the start of a remodel. It was wonderful to watch the process, but be prepared for the guests to complain that they can’t find anything they need, even with remodel ambassadors helping out. I’m excited for you and hope you enjoy yours!!

I moved to my store at the start of a remodel. It was wonderful to watch the process, but be prepared for the guests to complain that they can’t find anything they need, even with remodel ambassadors helping out. I’m excited for you and hope you enjoy yours!!
Thanks! I’m part of the remodel team! I’m a service ambassador as you call not sure what that’ll be like but will see!

Thanks! I’m part of the remodel team! I’m a service ambassador as you call not sure what that’ll be like but will see!
Service ambassador just walks around and helps guest during the day. Not really a big part of the actual remodel unfortunately.

Actually service ambassadors are an integral part of remodel as it pertains to guest facing aspects. And essentially all aspects of remodel are guest facing in one way or another. Don’t underestimate the need for signing and people who know where stuff is during remodel.

I can't remember my exact job title, but it's something resolution. I'll be reordering things if we are missing signs, fixtures, etc... and also auditing pogs. My ETL said it's a lot of problem solving and thinking outside the box, which in their words, I excel at. I'm excited to be learning new skills.

Last edited:
Actually service ambassadors are an integral part of remodel as it pertains to guest facing aspects. And essentially all aspects of remodel are guest facing in one way or another. Don’t underestimate the need for signing and people who know where stuff is during remodel.
Never said it wasn’t important! Just said it didn’t play a huge role in the physical remodel of the store. Just making sure OP didn’t get their hopes up that they were getting to fix things and move stuff around. I was a service ambassador for a remodel back when I was a TM. Definitely important to have or target wouldn’t be willing to spend 100s of hours per week for every remodel store.

I can't remember my exact job title, but it's something resolution. I'll be reordering things if we are missing signs, fixtures, etc... and also auditing pogs. My ETL said it's a lot of problem solving and thinking outside the box, which in their words, I excell at. I'm excited to be learning new skills.
For new store openings that would be the “fixture resolution Captain”. Not sure if it’s the same name for remodels. Fun role for sure.

Last edited:
My store is getting a remodel too. How is the remodel effecting your regular TM hours (floor and front end)? Someone at my store says they are taking hours from the floor.

Remodels get their own hours and it’s all billed out separately. If anything you’ll get more hours for store side during your remodel.
Theoretically the remodel shouldnt impact store payroll at all. It might feel like you're getting extra because the remodel tms will be doing some of the work that would have to be done anyways though.

They were putting up the tent outside.. yesterday and we have about 10 dry boxes on the side of our building! Demo starts on Sunday!

Theoretically the remodel shouldnt impact store payroll at all. It might feel like you're getting extra because the remodel tms will be doing some of the work that would have to be done anyways though.
No store side gets allocated payroll to support a remodel. I’ve trained and ran a remodel 2 years ago.

They get payroll allocated for only remodel projects and workload that gets affected be remodel. However stores use it to fix their red processes and that’s where they get in trouble. I’ve seen multiple stores get hours charged back. Not pretty. In several instances service ambassadors were used to push truck, meanwhile their disruption percentage was steadily climbing...

They get payroll allocated for only remodel projects and workload that gets affected be remodel. However stores use it to fix their red processes and that’s where they get in trouble. I’ve seen multiple stores get hours charged back. Not pretty. In several instances service ambassadors were used to push truck, meanwhile their disruption percentage was steadily climbing...

Yep. A nearby store had to cut 700 hours due to shenanigans like this. 😬

I found our remodel kind of disappointing. Beauty looks better and softlines may have gotten more room but it actually seems more crowded in softlines and even harder to maneuver with a cart. Other than that sections were moved around and now 8 months after the official completion of remodel still confuses guests. They had pictures of a really nice starbucks and they did close our cafe but other than putting a wall where the cafe counter was the area looks exactly the same as it looked before.

For new store openings that would be the “fixture resolution Captain”. Not sure if it’s the same name for remodels. Fun role for sure.

I wished I was trained on the stacker or electric jack back then as fixture captain. It was a B trying to pull wooden softline pallets from the boneyard :confused:

Yep. A nearby store had to cut 700 hours due to shenanigans like thi

Our service ambassadors were mostly doing that job, but would occasionally help out with zone & abandons, mostly at the beginnings & ends of their shifts, when foot traffic was lower and when things were more settled with remodel.

I think the remodel changes were great, overall, at my store, though the process itself can be painful, depending on where & when you work.

Our store maintained sales during remodel, which is apparently not common. For our efforts, we got...a stock photo of some bigwigs outside another Target store on a thank you card.

I found our remodel kind of disappointing. Beauty looks better and softlines may have gotten more room but it actually seems more crowded in softlines and even harder to maneuver with a cart. Other than that sections were moved around and now 8 months after the official completion of remodel still confuses guests. They had pictures of a really nice starbucks and they did close our cafe but other than putting a wall where the cafe counter was the area looks exactly the same as it looked before.
I'm not a fan of the remodels I've seen in Softlines. The gray and white patterned carpeting is too busy, and there are too many walls and tall fixturing. It makes things seemed sectioned off and crowded. I'm probably one of the few who hopes their store doesn't get remodeled, lol.

I'm not a fan of the remodels I've seen in Softlines. The gray and white patterned carpeting is too busy, and there are too many walls and tall fixturing. It makes things seemed sectioned off and crowded. I'm probably one of the few who hopes their store doesn't get remodeled, lol.
I wish that we had all of the new tables and racks, but I don't think I'd like having accessories integrated into RTW or shoes in all different departments. Hard to say until you've worked it I guess. But I am tired of not really being able to execute correct signage or full vmg because all of my fixtures are too old. We have a 60/40 assortment of old tiered tables to slightly newer flat ones, only the Cat & Jack focal areas in boys/girls have the new nested tables. Most of our quads and convertibles are the old kind, just a tiny handful if newer versions in store.
It does crack me up when I see pics of stores with all of the new fixtures and moveable walls...and old ads carpet that looks like french fries floating in ketchup!

The white walls make style look soooooo much better. A&A 2.0 was such an upgrade. There’s 1 store left in my district that still only has tables and convertibles in style and it looks like a low end discount retailer.

I was remodel team lead. One of many I've done. Ours was a total NG remodel. We changed everything. It took a little while to get back to normal after. But our store is beautiful. Some guests hate it some love it. You can't please everyone.

Yeah, people bitch about stuff having moved, but the layout is more logical, IMO. Some people just don't like change.

I was remodel team lead. One of many I've done. Ours was a total NG remodel. We changed everything. It took a little while to get back to normal after. But our store is beautiful. Some guests hate it some love it. You can't please everyone.
I love full NG stores! They’re getting rid of the “corners” in this years remodels. They found them ineffective and not worth it. They also severely cut back the amount of stores becoming full wrap stores

Back