Archived Repack Push

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSarcasm

Punching-bag
Was wondering if there was any way to quickly and efficiently get repacks finished so that I can stop hearing the same thing over and over.
It would be a normal day, pushing 2 or 3 flats to my area, I'd get those done after 30 minutes to an hour, each (I work office, stat, and HIPA, so there's a lot to go out), then I'd get called, asking "How are you doing on the truck?" "How long are you here for?" "Hurry with what you have, you can't be taking too long." and then the dreaded "You have about 8 repacks back here," which seem to increase if you let them sit for longer than 10 minutes, so that 8 turned to 12, out of nowhere.
I can push things out quick and easy, but when I hit those shredded boxes of miscellaneous items, I slow down exponentially. I don't know why, but I'm always leaving some behind, and I can just see the disappointment on an LOD's face. I haven't even been here that long, and it's as if they expect me to have mastered an entire section, and somehow developed superhuman speed. I mean, it doesn't help that I can get a box for a section on the other side of the store, that only has 3 items for me, shoved to the bottom, so I have to dig through it, pick out my items, then set it aside for the rest of the items that I'll find in every other box.
My biggest fear is that they're going to suspect me of wasting time so I can get a paycheck. I AM trying my best! I run to grab reshop every time it's called, I grab registers anytime I'm close and don't have my hands full, and I backstock my items quickly. I stay on the floor for as long as possible, pushing things and myself as hard as I can, but it still seems like I can't cut it.
I never get a "thank you" or "good job" either, unless I do something for somebody. Literally a thankless job.

With the Zone 6 repacks for stationary, I've found the best course of action for me is to detrash the repack and everything in it, set it out onto the workspace on my flat of boxes, and then load my arms up to stock around the 14 aisles or so. That way, I can snatch all that box's giftbags and stationary in one load, and the office and art in one load, and be done with the repack within a five minute window (essentially however long it takes to detrash all of it). It helps that I've learned where everything goes and the tricks that help, because I only ever have to scan maybe 2 items per flat of stationary. The dpci is on all target products, the UPC from the rest of the products should match the upc listed on the labels, and the bonus item number on like pens and command hooks should point out where the rest of them go.

I'll definitely have to try that. Not sure how it will turn out, since my store is almost always short on devices, and our scan-gun-things are always dying, and I definitely always need one to guide me.There's a chance I might also get yelled at for taking too long with the trash bit, since any time I spend not moving an item, is apparently wasted time, unless I'm with a guest... Or so I've been told.
Thank you for the advice!

Ask if you can sort into a metro rack, 3-tier, or uboat. Whatever works with your workcenter and the amount of push you have. You could put some large wacos on there and sort through 2-3 repacks at a time. Then go push. Rinse and repeat. It's helped a lot of my TMs. If everything's sorted by the end of your shift, it'll be easier to get someone else to help finish the push.

I think the biggest issue my store seems to have is with the number of people it can place in one area during the day. 9 times out of 10, I'll be the only one to be stationed in my area, and a TL, LOD, or Electronics TM will have to deal with the leftovers.
I can understand how organization will help a lot with what's left of the push, however, it seems that the biggest issue my superiors have is that I'm not quick enough with the repacks. They don't seem to take into account that I finish what's off the truck, and then finish an entire pull; they're more concerned with whether I've cleaned my plate, and since I seem to finish the main course, but leave some scraps, I'm criticized for it.

I think the biggest issue my store seems to have is with the number of people it can place in one area during the day. 9 times out of 10, I'll be the only one to be stationed in my area, and a TL, LOD, or Electronics TM will have to deal with the leftovers.
I can understand how organization will help a lot with what's left of the push, however, it seems that the biggest issue my superiors have is that I'm not quick enough with the repacks. They don't seem to take into account that I finish what's off the truck, and then finish an entire pull; they're more concerned with whether I've cleaned my plate, and since I seem to finish the main course, but leave some scraps, I'm criticized for it.
If you are in a dedicated area then start learning how to memorize where things are. Take a mental picture of those "keys items." It'll take time of course for you to get a rhythm and routine but hang in there. You got this! Take partners with those who have been there for a while and ask them their tricks and tips. Never stop asking questions to figure out how to get faster. Learn how to read the labels and learn department numbers, especially if you are going to be only in that particular area and that's where you are dedicated to pushing truck. I've trained team members to challenge themselves to "Not" use a PDA or device when pushing freight so that they don't rely on using equipment since sometimes there is none. Your best equipment is your brain. Use your brain to read labels. Read the UPC or dpci on the product and then read the label on the shelf. Yeah this will take a while but once you get going you will realize it's like finding Waldo. I treat it like a game when I don't have equipment to push freight. If the system was down and you could not use the equipment to push your repack, would you give up or tell your boss you can't work all because the you don't know how to push without it? What's your answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back