Archived requisition for redcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha14

GSA
Do any other GSAs requisition things for team members who get red cards? We usually do when things are slow or we offer some sort of incentive ( Starbucks, cafe, dollar spot). any other ideas on recognizing the hard workers? I got some picky cashiers at times who are hard to motivate.

Gift cards, 12 pk. soda, $5 or $10 shopping spree, $5 movie, Starbucks, make your own schedule for a week. Can't stress enough the awarding of gift cards... one size fits all. If you want your cashiers to really produce, you have to reward the sales skills. Let's face it, $9/ hr just doesn't cut it.

We don't do the gift cards any more because of the tax implications, so we just give them the dollar amount per Redcard and let them pick out their own prize and requisition it from the account that way. We do this on top of other incentives on occasion as well.

Our cashiers are also becoming pickier and pickier about prizes. I figure when they start getting picky about it, it's time to go back to "just do your darn job and get your paycheck on Friday." But I also ask everyone and do my job in my core roles with or without the extra prizes...because I'm crazy like that.

We don't do the gift cards any more because of the tax implications, so we just give them the dollar amount per Redcard and let them pick out their own prize and requisition it from the account that way. We do this on top of other incentives on occasion as well.

Our cashiers are also becoming pickier and pickier about prizes. I figure when they start getting picky about it, it's time to go back to "just do your darn job and get your paycheck on Friday." But I also ask everyone and do my job in my core roles with or without the extra prizes...because I'm crazy like that.

We also don't do gift cards either because of the tax

What does this mean?
You cannot give an employee gift cards. According to tax laws that would count as income. Unless it is listed on the employees paystub, it is considered tax evasion. Gift cards can be entered in to payroll, but it is a pita, so the company rule is no gift cards on the 549 account.

Oh, now I understand why they are starting to use any gift cards that have been found in the store to give us the money on the gift cards.

Oh boy, wouldn't it just be great to have Target get in trouble for giving gift cards to TMs?!

I wonder if giving the gift cards as a discount is even worse.....

so the company rule is no gift cards on the 549 account.

Except this has not been banned by the company, just stores/districts. It is possible still to requisition a GiftCard and charge it to the 549 account, without any further action. No taxation by HR. It happened a lot at our store this past 4th quarter as many TMs received GiftCards for recognition. Although we have mostly stopped requisitioning them (for other reasons not related to tax issues), our STL still occasionally approves a GiftCard requisition. And they still don't get taxed.

Except this has not been banned by the company, just stores/districts. It is possible still to requisition a GiftCard and charge it to the 549 account, without any further action. No taxation by HR. It happened a lot at our store this past 4th quarter as many TMs received GiftCards for recognition. Although we have mostly stopped requisitioning them (for other reasons not related to tax issues), our STL still occasionally approves a GiftCard requisition. And they still don't get taxed.

Yeah, but Target is in a world of hurt if they are ever audited. And since there is no record for them to go back to see which TMs got the gift cards, they can't go back and add it after the fact, which will likely make things even worse for them. I would expect to see heads roll down the line to store level if the corporation ever gets an audit.

Yeah, but Target is in a world of hurt if they are ever audited. And since there is no record for them to go back to see which TMs got the gift cards, they can't go back and add it after the fact, which will likely make things even worse for them. I would expect to see heads roll down the line to store level if the corporation ever gets an audit.
A company as big as Target...I can't really see them getting more than a slap on the wrist for such minor income by a small percentage of employees.

Exactly who is going to audit Target? The understaffed IRS? The independent accounting firm that Target pays to verify that its books are legit? While Target should be tracking the g/cs to comply with IRS requirements, reality is there isn't going to be any audits.

On a side note, my store is back to giving candy bars and snack sized bags of chips for red cards. Will see how that affects our counts each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back