Archived Research vs Man CAF vs Taking

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackroomAlpha

Ask me anything, maybe I can help.
I have a question for anyone experienced. So market has been dropping a lot research and Manual CAFs lately and the system pulls way too much each time, they end up with long batches and a lot of backstock, which wastes a lot of time and space. Why does the system pull an over abundance? If they were to just locate what they need in the backroom and manually pull it out without a batch, would that affect pull times in the future and how? Im new to learning the logistics of sales and how the stores inner dimensions operate and would like to know.

The main problem with man cafs is it pulls to fill the shelf to capacity or very close to capacity no matter what. So if there are 39 boxes of pasta on the shelf, and it can fit 1 more, it could end up pulling a full case of that pasta from the back just to fill that 1 spot. Repeat for every single item in the fillgroup and it gets way out of hand.

The correct way to do it is a quick zone and shoot exfs for low and outs. But that would take precious hardlines hours, so instead they drop a man caf and let the backroom deal with it.

@SFSFun yeah its just becoming a problem. The TL of market is dropping man cafs everyday it seems. They pulled almost every single box of cereal, casepacks and all the other day to fill the cereal isle, AFTER THE GM UNLOAD WAS STOCKED. Almost nothing went out and they were left with all the backstock that sat in 2 tubs and a flat in the srockroom for a day because she was off work and her team didnt want to backstock it. BRTL ended up having BR do it. On another occasion last week she dropped a man caf for Beverage and it pulled 3 tubs worth, almost nothing went out and that sat in the stockroom for a few hours taking up way too much space. Drives me nuts, i dont know why they promote and hire the most rediculous team leads.

So the correct way to deal with manuals is let's instocks, or someone who knows how instocks work, take care of them. Manuals are helpful, but yes they sometimes do over pull. Whether it's from it just pulling a box to fill one item needed, or if it's because capacity/quantity is off. Which is why instocks should take care of it. If the capacity or quantity is off they need to research it or change the capacity so it doesn't pull right back out after backstocking. Also if they are researching correctly they shouldn't really be pulling a huge excess of product that doesn't fit. Unless they are just zeroing everything whether it has product or not. You should probably bring it up to a leader and ask them to teach whoever is doing that how to properly shoot outs and properly change counts and capacity. Shooting research and dropping manuals in market is going to be a huge thing within the next month or so with the holidays around the corner. At my store we have realized the caf pulls just aren't doing the job well enough to keep up. So we do have manuals and research going through there on a regular basis. We are about to start up with toys through there too.

But with manuals you can chop the In-stocks hours to nothing and the floor still gets full.. You have to deal with the horrid amount of overwork, backstock and wasted labor to pull it and backstock it all but you got to save 6hrs from having an In-Stocks person actually scanning only what is needed.

You need to make sure your SFQs are spot on. We do manuals at least a few times per week. We can get a heaping flat or two of market out and only come back with a repack or two of Backstock. make sure whoever is pushing them updates SFQs to minimize over pulling in the future.

No one but backroom should be dropping manuals. They pulled that shit on me an hour before I left at night when I had flexes. Left that shit right in the gun for them.

No one but backroom should be dropping manuals. They pulled that shit on me an hour before I left at night when I had flexes. Left that shit right in the gun for them.
I mean I do manuals all the time... But I also pull them, push them, and backstock them. Only those who take responsibility of them should drop them is what you should be saying haha. I could drop a manual anywhere in the store, and since our counts arent terrible and our capacities aren't way off, it won't pull more than needed. I can pull 100+ dcpis, multiple hundred eaches, and only have a few backstock.

We've been doing market manual batches for a while now and it really seems to have helped. Our morning market CAFs were horrendous- especially snack and beverage, but now it's incredibly manageable. Since they always want to get market out first thing in the morning it's really helped the mornings go by easier, because I'm no longer spending a solid hour or more pulling market. All the market batches combined maybe take 15-20min. It's amazing!

I've always thought that we had major capacity errors, but reading through this thread is making me count my blessings! Whenever we pull manual batches 99% of it goes out- no exaggeration.

I normally hate pushing pulls, but I love pulling/pushing/backstocking manuals...it's weirdly gratifying.

yea...I guess I definitely belong in logistics...I can nerd out on this stuff sometimes! :oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back