Answered Returning from being on LOA (vulnerable TM) - Have questions about current climate

I'm about to return to my store after 60 days off. I did the vulnerable TM leave and then 30 days unpaid LOA. I have to return now or I won't have job protection anymore (I'm a SE-TL and they said my position will be filled if I don't return now). I'm not very happy and I don't feel comfortable returning since my county/state are still pretty bad but I pretty much have to.

Since all the chaos when I left in early April have there been any big changes? Policies? Procedures? How worried should I be? How has your last 60 days been going?
Also: I never thought to ask before but do masks have to follow some kind of dress code?

We are in a mandatory mask state. When I left we were cleaning extremely rigorously but it was pre- store provided PPE and partitions. We had just started door headcounts. People were fighting at the door for TP and wipes, etc. every day still.

I'm on my third week back after taking 60 days. We are provided masks and gloves, though no one really uses the gloves. You can use any type of mask, I've seen everything from store-provided to bandanas. We sell some cloths masks and ones that look like hospital ones though they are not medical-grade. We were selling some black jersey-like ones but they were pulled from the floor due to recall.

I would say the majority of guests wear masks but I am seeing many not wearing them. It's not being enforced despite company and state policy, which is frustrating. Still, like I said, a good majority are wearing them. TMs are better but some still pull theirs down or take them off in TSC.

It doesn't seem like they are doing head counts anymore, but they are still cleaning. We have the partitions at GS and registers. Still quarantining returns. Fitting rooms still closed.

I wasn't crazy about returning either and am actually considering taking another LOA but I'm worried about keeping my position too. Good luck to you!

I would reach out to your HR to get a feel for your store. Masks just need to be Brand and not tie around your neck. I think you should do what's best for you and if leaving Target protects your health then do it. We have elderly people that show up with their own gloves and masks. They work short shifts and barely contact anyone unless needed too.

I'm in a state that has gotten over it's peak (a top 5 state). Masks make a huge difference. As long as the majority are wearing them, the numbers in your state will drop.

Don't be afraid to ask people to give you your space. Get used to asking guests what they are looking for instead of taking their phone.
Try different types of masks to find what is "comfortable" for you. I switch between different types during the day--some hurt my nose, some my ears, some are harder to breathe in.
Ask if you can work some shorter shifts or fewer days your first couple of weeks back.
Ask to be scheduled for cash office every day at first. Ask if you can do all of the offstage tasks at first (schedule, break-out, Myguest, etc...).
Wash your hands a lot (obviously, but it also gets you away from people for a quick minute).
Have a 3 tier to use for opu--the guest can grab the bag from there, so you don't have to hand it to them.
When supporting the front end, the last place I want to be is returns, so I would advise you to avoid that when possible. It's just difficult to avoid contact and being breathed on.

I'm also finding that the GS TMs are the worst offenders when it comes to not wearing or pulling down their masks, even when a few people are behind the counter. Makes no sense to me. Same with people in TSC. It's like they think that just because they "know" you that they are safe around you and vice versa.

I'm in a state that was hit hard, but we've definitely been on the downward slope of the curve for a few weeks now (and I sure hope we can keep it that way). Don't want to repeat what others have said so will just add that I've found it helpful to just try to ignore those who don't wear masks. I don't approach them with a "good morning" or "can I help you find something" or anything else. If one of them approaches me, I back up and ask them to maintain distance (or wear their mask properly if they have one on but not covering their mouth and nose). I'm much friendlier to guests wearing masks! Still won't engage in more than minimal conversation, but I don't get so freaked out by being closer than 6 feet for a couple of minutes to help them.
If you can get scheduled for shifts earlier in the day, that might help. Seems like guests shopping earlier are the ones more serious about staying healthy and keeping others healthy - much more mask compliance early in the day, probably 90% vs 10% not. As the day goes on and the store gets busier, there are more guests not wearing them, maybe 70-30.
Could be my imagination, but it seems like lately compliance has been improving. Not sure if the non-mask wearers have decided to shop elsewhere as more things are reopening or maybe are getting educated about why it's important. My state has made them mandatory, but there's no enforcement other than peer pressure.

I would say the majority of guests wear masks but I am seeing many not wearing them. It's not being enforced despite company and state policy, which is frustrating. Still, like I said, a good majority are wearing them. TMs are better but some still pull theirs down or take them off in TSC.

Target doesn't have a policy for enforcement that I'm aware of. We get guests on the daily complaining that other guests aren't wearing masks and why aren't we telling them to leave? Our response is that until Target Corp gives us the okay to do so, we are educating and reminding and hoping that personal responsibility kicks in but we aren't forcing them to leave.

Current climate:
‘Store is busy, guests are cranky, tm’s are worn out, TL’s are stressed, ETL’s have Unrealistic expectations, we are under-staffed due to weak scheduling and too many call outs,back room is a mess, fixture room is dangerous, salesfloor is empty, inmates running the asylum at the front end. Same as when you left.

Current climate:
‘Store is busy, guests are cranky, tm’s are worn out, TL’s are stressed, ETL’s have Unrealistic expectations, we are under-staffed due to weak scheduling and too many call outs,back room is a mess, fixture room is dangerous, salesfloor is empty, inmates running the asylum at the front end. Same as when you left.
Sounds right.
I feel like a headless chicken with everything going on.

Back