Archived Reviews - what to expect as a TM

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWishIKnew

This was supposed to be a seasonal job...
I found a bunch of threads on writing reviews or self-reviews as a TL and whatnot, but what can I expect as a TM for review? I assume it's a meeting with a TL or ETL, how long does it take? What do the reviews cover?

I've been through many review seasons at my day job, but reviews for retail peons was not a thing back in my previous retail days, so I'm curious about what to expect.

I found a bunch of threads on writing reviews or self-reviews as a TL and whatnot, but what can I expect as a TM for review? I assume it's a meeting with a TL or ETL, how long does it take? What do the reviews cover?

I've been through many review seasons at my day job, but reviews for retail peons was not a thing back in my previous retail days, so I'm curious about what to expect.

Some say the TL does reviews but my ETL did mine. Basically go over what you did over the last year and what they like to see more of.

Well, it depends on how much your TL likes to talk, lol. Basically, there are some statements about work that you are rated on (check boxes--ION, DIO, or DEO). Then there is a written summary of how well you and the store did, some areas for improvement, and goals for the next year. You will be given an overall rating, and a percent raise. This year, you will also be told that your pay is going up to $12 unless you are in a location that already pays at least that much.

ION, DIO, or DEO

Trying to parse these acronyms into the "needs improvement", "meets expectations", "exceeds expectations" buckets I'm familiar with and failing. What do those stand for?

What sorts of goals are usually set for TMs? I'm an entry-level, part-time hardlines TM, if that matters.

Improved Outcomes Needed, Delivered Important Outcomes, Delivered Exceptional Outcomes.

There will be store goals (no reshop, add to the basket, speed getting indymes), and maybe some specifically for you (speedier or more detailed zoning, get a red card every week).

The ETLs get together and decide the overall score (and accompanying raise percentage) for each TM. Then, your TL has to write a review to support that score and deliver the news to you. It can be a quick chat or a long conversation.

You get pulled into an office and meticulously read line by line the review bullet points along with appropriate checked box. Then at the end, you get to see how much (little) raise you get along with your job rating score. A brief chance to ask any questions, you sign a paper and voila, done. Honestly, I'd rather just be given the paperwork, read it myself, sign my name and go on my merry way.

When I went in last year I was given the paper for someone that was recently fired. Told the TL. Never got to see mine o_O

They probably can't do that. At my dayjob reviews have to be given in person, as does the convo about the raise/bonus. Reviews happen right at the beginning of the year, compensation convo was Thursday. I understand having reviews in person (they're a bit more involved than the Target TM ones, unsurprisingly), but the compensation convo is a total waste of time as I am capable of reading the compensation statement and asking questions if I have any.

I always start with the raise, lol. I never read the bullet points, the tm can read them all if he wants to.

This is my ETL to a T! She tells you immediately what your raise is..... and then summarizes the rest of the review (everyone gets a copy; you can read it more thoroughly later). Her theory is that "people aren't really listening anyway.... they just want to know how much more money they're getting".

Eh..... she's right, what can I say?!

I always start with the raise, lol. I never read the bullet points, the tm can read them all if he wants to.

Never read my Spot review. Really no point since it's really not a merit raise when everyone gets bumped up to $12. Although the time we got bumped to $9, we got the bump, and then our raise on top of that. Oh wait, still didn't read it.

Kind of excited to see my 3 cent raise even though it's just going to be completely nerfed by the minimum pay bump. Honestly, based on the way things go communication-wise at my store, I'd be surprised if I even got any sort of review at all. I asked a GSA who has been with my store for 5 years and he actually didn't really know what I was talking about when I said "yearly review" so that's nice

What is the usual percent increase (leaving aside the $12 bump) for each rating?

What is the usual percent increase (leaving aside the $12 bump) for each rating?
I want to guess like 1, 3, 5? I know max is 5% for TMs. I got max last year but it was wiped by the bump in minimum. At this point it seems like TM reviews are more of a formality to document bad apples to support firing them later. Even if I get max again it’ll get wiped by the bump, but I don’t mind because it’s still a raise

Last year it was 2.7% for DIO and 5% for DEO. I think ION was nothing or maybe 1%

Just curious, I’ve been working with Target for almost 8 months, will I be getting a review still? And if so, who will be giving me my review since my workcenter is Flex Fill and we don’t have a TL. Most likely my ETL-Log?

Expect very little. If your TL doesn't like you and you don't kiss butt, don't expect a nice raise. Basically, be happy if you get anything because raises at Target are rigged beyond rigged. I had a senior TL tell me that once but at least he was honest LOL. They only have a certain amount of good raises to give out each year so unless you're one of the lucky ones, you probably aren't getting that much. It's not fair and it sucks but that's retail. Retail is ruthless and cutthroat. Best advice is to get out of retail as soon as possible and try to get a Monday through Friday job that will give you benefits and 40 hours a week.

Just curious, I’ve been working with Target for almost 8 months, will I be getting a review still? And if so, who will be giving me my review since my workcenter is Flex Fill and we don’t have a TL. Most likely my ETL-Log?

Yea, I believe your review is prorated based on how long you were there for so instead of getting the full amount you will get 66.67% of it since you were only there for most of the year. My guess is that either the ETL will administer it or pass it off to another tl.

Edit: Your backroom team lead is actually your team lead, only a few stores actually have team leads for sfs.

Backroom TL is over Flex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back