Service & Engagement Scammers

JiJi

if it fits, it ships
I've seen the K1 Cash Card scam, the classic buying $200 Visa cards with a stolen check/no physical ID, and I know about scalpers bringing other people in to bypass purchase limits (usually with Apple products in electronics) - what are some other things to keep an eye out for?

I've seen the K1 Cash Card scam, the classic buying $200 Visa cards with a stolen check/no physical ID, and I know about scalpers bringing other people in to bypass purchase limits (usually with Apple products in electronics) - what are some other things to keep an eye out for?
Fake coupons.

beyond that... best not to publicly disclose scams. Talk to a GSTL who can provide more info.

Yup we have a book in tech that functions as our rogues gallery of resellers, their favorite items, and their usual methods. We never pull it out, but its there for the morning side to pass notes to night side.

Ask your ap for what they see in your area.

I'm in Michigan so we see a lot of scan law scammers. They get the difference and then return the product. They can make hundreds in a trip.

I'm in Michigan so we see a lot of scan law scammers. They get the difference and then return the product. They can make hundreds in a trip.
And that’s why we only pay bounty in the first item and offer returns for the rest. You bought 20 gatorades because an old sign was up and you wanted the bounty? Fine. Once. But you’re not getting it 20 times. Thankfully we have an executive who is patient and friendly enough to explain it as often as necessary to Karen’s until they leave. Of course once their upstairs I get to hear all about our c u next Tuesday guest 😂

Agreed though I see this a lot less than a few years ago.

AP watches these people better than in the past.

Also in my store they only will process returns for about an hour before they state to come back some other day.

I had a scammer once that was probably scammed by another scammer.

They used the SNAP/WIC to buy some food but then told me you could get cash back from the card.

I told her that this isn't a debit card to be used for anything and if she has a problem to go to guest service for a better explanation.

Guest then paid cash and n walked over to guest service and just stood off to the side for ten minutes then left.

Hilarious.

And that’s why we only pay bounty in the first item and offer returns for the rest. You bought 20 gatorades because an old sign was up and you wanted the bounty? Fine. Once. But you’re not getting it 20 times. Thankfully we have an executive who is patient and friendly enough to explain it as often as necessary to Karen’s until they leave. Of course once their upstairs I get to hear all about our c u next Tuesday guest 😂

Ours will buy one of each flavor. Under the law that's legal. It's not legal to return them though.

Agreed though I see this a lot less than a few years ago.

AP watches these people better than in the past.

Also in my store they only will process returns for about an hour before they state to come back some other day.

We figured out that you don't have to give the refund immediately. Once they started having to come back the next day no matter what, they stopped coming in. They would show up five minutes to close and make people stay late.

Back