Scared to speak up to SFS TL

Hi, so I’m just a TM. I’ve been at my store for almost 1.5yrs and in SFS the entire time. A couple months ago our TL was having issues with TMs who were acting as a TL and pissing a lot of people off, so she started picking certain people to be pacesetters. I am one of them, as I work nights and weekends when she isn’t there. I have no problem being a pacesetter, despite the added responsibility with no compensation. We have a good team, mostly, and have a good flow most days.

However, recently our TL started assigning other TMs to be pacesetters when they abuse the role (they just hang out and “prep”, refuse to help do anything, sit around and flirt with other TMs) Last night I was not the pacesetter but the person who was was also scheduled with their significant other. When the TL is around, they’re mode TMs, but once she leaves, they just goof off and the PDA comes out. Our closing lead and overnight lead saw it and said they’d be reporting it, but also asked me to tell our TL. But these two TMs are part of her “favorites” and she protects them at all costs. I’m scared to speak out and be retaliated against in some way. Our TL gets very defensive and everything is always someone else’s fault.

Do I stick up for myself and the rest of the team, that they weren’t pulling their weight and setting a bad example? Or do I say nothing because I wasn’t the assigned pacesetter, so it’s not my responsibility? I like my job a lot and take pride in doing it correctly, but I’m not a babysitter or a TL. It’s not my job to constantly tell people to do their job. At some point that’s beyond my control, right?

If you are worried about telling your team lead then, i would tell your hr since it deals with other team members. If your closing lead amd overnight lead saw it then i would think it wouldnt matter how buddy buddy they are with there tl.
Also weird how you schedule pace setters like that. I designated pace setters for my team, and they all are supposed to do those duties while they are there, and they were chosen for the times they work.

Last edited:
If you are worried about telling your team lead then, i would tell your hr since it deals with other team members. If your closing lead amd overnight lead saw it then i would think it wouldnt matter how buddy buddy they are with there tl.
Also weird how you schedule pace setters like that. I designated pace setters for my team, and they all are supposed to do those duties while they are there, and they were chosen for the times they work.
The closing lead and overnight lead are not buddy-buddy with our TL (far from it), but HR is very buddy-buddy with this particular couple and our TL. I don’t trust our HR at all. Our store is a popularity contest for who can kiss the most leader butt and this couple takes the cake. This girl came in on her day off to bring our TL a thanksgiving gift 😑 our TL has very clear favorites (all boys) and let’s them get away with everything.

The PDA thing is definitely an HR issue, however I find it really unprofessional that other TLs were there for this behavior, did not coach the team members involved on the spot, and want you to report it to your TL rather than deal with it... The whole situation sounds awful. As a fulfillment TL, I definitely had my favorites.. but if I found out that they were doing the wrong thing in my absence then it would be dealt with, friends or not. I’m sorry you have to deal with this. I would bring it up to your TL; I don’t think you will face repercussions, and if the behavior doesn’t stop after this I would go to your ETL

Hi, so I’m just a TM. I’ve been at my store for almost 1.5yrs and in SFS the entire time. A couple months ago our TL was having issues with TMs who were acting as a TL and pissing a lot of people off, so she started picking certain people to be pacesetters. I am one of them, as I work nights and weekends when she isn’t there. I have no problem being a pacesetter, despite the added responsibility with no compensation. We have a good team, mostly, and have a good flow most days.

However, recently our TL started assigning other TMs to be pacesetters when they abuse the role (they just hang out and “prep”, refuse to help do anything, sit around and flirt with other TMs) Last night I was not the pacesetter but the person who was was also scheduled with their significant other. When the TL is around, they’re mode TMs, but once she leaves, they just goof off and the PDA comes out. Our closing lead and overnight lead saw it and said they’d be reporting it, but also asked me to tell our TL. But these two TMs are part of her “favorites” and she protects them at all costs. I’m scared to speak out and be retaliated against in some way. Our TL gets very defensive and everything is always someone else’s fault.

Do I stick up for myself and the rest of the team, that they weren’t pulling their weight and setting a bad example? Or do I say nothing because I wasn’t the assigned pacesetter, so it’s not my responsibility? I like my job a lot and take pride in doing it correctly, but I’m not a babysitter or a TL. It’s not my job to constantly tell people to do their job. At some point that’s beyond my control, right?
Skip your tl and go to hr.

Gimme more money and I'll be your pace setter-trainer-bale boy-mustard setter upper. No more money? I'll remain a slug. Your call there sunshine....(to one of our old TL's).
Target pays the top performers more than the rest, just not in the way they'd like to be paid more. They get more hours, not more per hour.

I never bitched about hours, I just did the gig for something to do. 48 years of solid work, I saved my clams....still do.....When they had the hiring parties they really screwed over the hard working vets who, by the way, were all over 45 years old. It was fun while it lasted.

The closing lead and overnight lead are not buddy-buddy with our TL (far from it), but HR is very buddy-buddy with this particular couple and our TL. I don’t trust our HR at all. Our store is a popularity contest for who can kiss the most leader butt and this couple takes the cake. This girl came in on her day off to bring our TL a thanksgiving gift 😑 our TL has very clear favorites (all boys) and let’s them get away with everything.
Sorry you have to deal with this little nest of favoritism and butt kissing. Wish I had a solution for you, but in this situation I don’t think going to your TL would be in your best interests.
Incidentally, your TL (and anyone else in leadership) is not supposed to accept gifts from TMs (or ETLs from TLs and on and on). Just saying.

Thanks everyone! I talked to the closing lead tonight and she said she put it in her email last night and nobody said a word to her about it. She told me to call the 800 number because she knows HR won’t do anything about it. I’ve heard stories from TMs at other stores to avoid the 800 because it’s there to protect Target and the leads, not TMs.

I don’t think I’m going to do anything. I can’t afford to lose my job and don’t trust any of the leads, other than the closing one. Our TL only favors the college kids and those of us who are 30+ get walked all over. Several “vets” have already quit or are going to after Q4. She doesn’t respect us at all and we’re pulling most of the weight, especially when she’s not there. It really sucks.

Good plan! Protect yourself and your job. Absolutely do not call the hotline, if the TL wants the hotline to know what’s going on, let her make the call, not pass the buck to you and jeopardize your job or hours.😁 Good luck, hope it works out well for you.

Pace setter is less of a job than a cardboard baler person . It is the easiest thing you can do on the line by just pushing boxes .😅

A position that doesn’t exist anymore
There is a pace setter role for sfs too. We also still call the person on the corner of our truck our pace setter because they are supposed to ensure that everyone is moving. When i did it it was far from easy. I can see how it would be easier in a store with a straight dock door, but i had to plan and pallerize the transition as well as sort bulk plastics, paper, infant furniture, and diapers. As well as make sure the boxes didnt go shooting off on the curve.

Someone who pushes the boxes down the line not even close to a captain 😎 also that position doesn’t exist since the team consist of 5 sorters and one unloader

So, Like @MrT I'm picturing what we called the CM (which I think meant Corner Man back in the Dark Ages but was shortened for obvious reasons).
This position was needed because came our our line came out of the truck then took a hard turn to start down the line.
I can't imagine ours was the only one to do that.
It needed someone at the 'corner' to keep everything flowing smoothly and at good speed.
They could also help sort, like during Christmas when you needed Xtra areas for toys.

But 90% of the time the CM was either the ETL Logistics or the TL Logistics.
They were the ones setting the pace.
Well, them and whoever was throwing the truck.

So, Like @MrT I'm picturing what we called the CM (which I think meant Corner Man back in the Dark Ages but was shortened for obvious reasons).
This position was needed because came our our line came out of the truck then took a hard turn to start down the line.
I can't imagine ours was the only one to do that.
It needed someone at the 'corner' to keep everything flowing smoothly and at good speed.
They could also help sort, like during Christmas when you needed Xtra areas for toys.

But 90% of the time the CM was either the ETL Logistics or the TL Logistics.
They were the ones setting the pace.
Well, them and whoever was throwing the truck.
I guess I’m starting to realize that not every store has electric skates .

it would be easier in a store with a straight dock door
I have 4 docks so whenever I do the trailer from 3rd or second I do have a curve . But like I mention it was my mistake to think every store have electric skates where you wouldn’t need a pace setter since the thrower would push the boxes and the skates do their thing.

We have pacesetters at our store. When the SFS lead is out, they are responsible for assigning duties (prep, opu, pack, sort), making sure the break/meal schedule is followed and taking calls on missing items (we have a strict no INF rule). There is no addtl compemnsation at out store for the pacesetter.

Wow, what absolutely atrocious, unprofessional behavior you have to be around! Seems to me that you're in a tough spot with few good options, given that the favorites game AND the "it's not my fault" game are both played by your TL. And it doesn't sound like your store's HR is a good resource.
What about your SD? If they're also not a good resource, probably best to just keep your head down, do an excellent job, and look for something else if it's more than you can take. If you can stick with it, your current TL may eventually move on and your work environment may then improve. Really feel sorry for you!

Back