Archived scheduling confrontation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My etl who makes up the schedules has consistently scheduled me out of my availability when I first started. After numerous attempts to fix it,he did. I haven't had any problems until the recent schedule.came out and he gave me.a shift that is not my availability. When I approach him about it he tells me in a roundabout way that it is my problem and I could try to.switch with someone. Clearly this isn't ok. So what else can I do.

My etl who makes up the schedules has consistently scheduled me out of my availability when I first started. After numerous attempts to fix it,he did. I haven't had any problems until the recent schedule.came out and he gave me.a shift that is not my availability. When I approach him about it he tells me in a roundabout way that it is my problem and I could try to.switch with someone. Clearly this isn't ok. So what else can I do.

There is probably a little disclaimer on the availability submission like on the Vacation submission that even if approved they have the right to change their decision. It really depends on what the circumstances of your availability are to whether or not your ETL is going to follow it strictly. Say you got a second job starting at 3PM your scheduler probably knows its no use to schedule you against that, but say you just made yourself unavailable on Sundays just because you don't want to work they may not always honor that.

There is probably a little disclaimer on the availability submission like on the Vacation submission that even if approved they have the right to change their decision. It really depends on what the circumstances of your availability are to whether or not your ETL is going to follow it strictly. Say you got a second job starting at 3PM your scheduler probably knows its no use to schedule you against that, but say you just made yourself unavailable on Sundays just because you don't want to work they may not always honor that.

They will honor the availability no matter what -- MAX will only auto-populate to your availability, and displays your availability when you go to add a shift.

You're availability is your availability, so if you are scheduled outside of it to work you shouldn't be held accountable if you can't come in. I will readily admit that if I accidentally scheduled someone outside of their availability (and it does happen... when you do the schedule for a large work center some things can get crossed) I would ask them to try and find coverage for the shift (shift needs to be covered either way -- we wouldn't hold them accountable for it, we would delete them from the schedule).

If it is a legitimate availability issue (i.e. school/family/other job) talk to your HR and it should be fixed - you may just need to submit it again. If it isn't (i.e. I just don't want to work on this day so I put myself unavailable or limited hours -- people do that, trust me) just suck it up and work it... it happens.

Well I was asked if I had a problem after I asked about it and I said well ya cause its not my normal hours. And I was pretty much told I could find someone to work for me if I couldn't.

Well I was asked if I had a problem after I asked about it and I said well ya cause its not my normal hours. And I was pretty much told I could find someone to work for me if I couldn't.

I would probably say the same thing to you if that is how you brought it to your ETL. If you tell me it's not what you normally work I would tell you the schedule is to the needs of the business, and if you can't work the shift you should try and get it replaced. If it was a shift where you were scheduled outside of your availability and legitimately CANNOT work then I would see if you could have someone replace you (there are always TMs looking for hours) but if you could not I would take you off the schedule.

I don't understand why they would need to find someone to work for them. There's a reason people have set availabilities and if they were approved then we need to honor them. I write the schedule for 60+ people and unfortunately about twice a month I mess up and schedule someone outside of theirs. It's my mistake and not theirs so I delete them out of the system and post the shift as an open shift or I will try and find someone to trade with them myself to help them keep their hours. Why should the team member need to clean up someone else's mistake?

I agree your availability is your availability, and if your ETL isn't following it you need to approach HR. Accidents do happen like MrGSTLman said when your doing a schedule for a large group its easy to put someone in the wrong time slot.

Good thing with the new MyTime you cannot be scheduled outside of your availability regardless of reason.

I don't understand why they would need to find someone to work for them. There's a reason people have set availabilities and if they were approved then we need to honor them. I write the schedule for 60+ people and unfortunately about twice a month I mess up and schedule someone outside of theirs. It's my mistake and not theirs so I delete them out of the system and post the shift as an open shift or I will try and find someone to trade with them myself to help them keep their hours. Why should the team member need to clean up someone else's mistake?

I guess it is because 90% of the time (and maybe I should have said this up front) it was because I wouldn't find out about it until the day before the shift was supposed to be. If it was well enough in advance I would take care of it myself -- after all, it WAS my mistake.

In many cases, though, I would have TMs that purposely waited until the day before to let us know they couldn't work. I would tell those TMs that we put the schedule up two weeks in advance for a reason -- if there is a mistake let me know early enough and I will be glad to fix it, but if you tell me at the last minute and think I'm just going to delete you -- not happening. To add to that, when I was the GSTL doing the schedule, our TMs would change their availability by writing it on a sheet and giving it to my GE, not going through MAX, so in some cases I didn't KNOW they changed it, and I was always trained that your availability is what is in the system, so maybe I'm a bit jaded -- I do agree that the TM should not have to fix my mistake...

oh geez, I've never had a TM wait until the last minute to tell me I did that. THAT would make me mad! I also hate it when TM's wanted a day off, didn't request it, and then want ME to try and fill their shift. Uh, no way! I have way too much stuff to do than to fix a shift that you could have easily requested off for.

I agree your availability is your availability, and if your ETL isn't following it you need to approach HR. Accidents do happen like MrGSTLman said when your doing a schedule for a large group its easy to put someone in the wrong time slot.

Good thing with the new MyTime you cannot be scheduled outside of your availability regardless of reason.

Does "MyTime" keep HR (or the scheduler) from manually putting in a shift against your availability? What I'm asking is if you're not available until 4pm on Thursdays can they put a manual shift of 2pm until 8pm? Does the system really stop them from putting the shift in?

I hope it does because i have several tm's who like to work holidays when they wouldn't normally because of their full time jobs.

I hope it does because i have several tm's who like to work holidays when they wouldn't normally because of their full time jobs.

This. I'm one of those TMs, only my other job isn't full-time (hence I work at Target).

Considering Black Friday + school availabilities, I suspect that you will be able to. Or maybe holidays will be "open" days where there are no restrictions in the system. Surely they thought of this... If they didn't, then I feel sorry for anyone who has to schedule Black Friday after "MyTime" rolls out.

Will we be able to view MyTime from home... or is that still a no-go?

I'm not sure MyTime has actually rolled out yet? At least not every where because I am still using Max to schedule and no one at my store has even mentioned MyTime to me.

I'm not sure MyTime has actually rolled out yet? At least not every where because I am still using Max to schedule and no one at my store has even mentioned MyTime to me.

My ETL-HR has mentioned at the huddle a couple times, and I think he said it rolls out in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back