Archived Screwed up majorly today, am worried about getting fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been biting my nails all day anxiously thinking about what's going to happen when I go to my shift on Friday. Do you guys think AP is already trying to solve this? And what kind of questions will they ask me?

I've been biting my nails all day anxiously thinking about what's going to happen when I go to my shift on Friday. Do you guys think AP is already trying to solve this? And what kind of questions will they ask me?
I mentioned this to AP and they weren't even aware of it yet. They knew of versions of it, but not that it was currently happening.

I mentioned this to AP and they weren't even aware of it yet. They knew of versions of it, but not that it was currently happening.

I'm not AP, but I've never had issues with this in my store either. Never heard of it. No offense to OP, but it's a card, why ever process it as cash? I've never heard of a cash card before though either. Isn't that just debit? lol.

Like when those people were calling to have you ‘check your registers’ during that gift card scam nd you mentioned needing to double check with a manager, they hung up.
Was a victim of this one :(

I'm not AP, but I've never had issues with this in my store either. Never heard of it. No offense to OP, but it's a card, why ever process it as cash? I've never heard of a cash card before though either. Isn't that just debit? lol.
The scammers are really good. I think most people who get scammed (anywhere, not just Target) think they would never fall for something.

I've had that happen before in Electronics, where someone tells you to hit K1. I responded with 'Sure!! Just let me call security first!'. "Call for TPS". Usually they book it out of the store or security pulls them into the backroom and waits on the police department.
(FYI, attempting to defraud a company is still a crime, whether or not they were successful)
As for what is going to happen.... They may ask you questions about training, about the people, etc... If you can remember the time, that will help them quite a bit when reviewing the security footage, although they can pull up the transaction history for that type of thing. You won't be termed for this, but will likely receive a coaching and additional training with your Team Lead.
It's not 100% your fault if you did not receive proper training in this area. One key thing to look out for in the future are people who choose a busy line/overwhelmed cashier. They may be trying scam or pass fake currency. Never be afraid to hit that flashing light. :)
These things happen. The people who commit these crimes have no care in the world for the impact it can have on someone else's job.

Usually Target's insurance claims will cover most loses by CC theft or scammers. But if your store or AP is knowledgeable of giftcard scams, they can lookup the transaction# and gift card numbers and then invalidate the cards.

Yes. Any $3000 sale of Visa cards will raise red flags even if it was legit. They will ask you what happened.

Look if it were me I wouldn’t FIRE you but I would put you on CA and keep a very very close eye on your transactions

Again if it were me (which it’s obviously not) tha CA would not be for falling for a scam bc that happens to everyone the CA would be for not calling for help when you felt something wasn’t right.

Like when those people were calling to have you ‘check your registers’ during that gift card scam nd you mentioned needing to double check with a manager, they hung up.
I guess I missed this one... what were they having you check your registers for?

Usually Target's insurance claims will cover most loses by CC theft or scammers. But if your store or AP is knowledgeable of giftcard scams, they can lookup the transaction# and gift card numbers and then invalidate the cards.
Assuming they haven't already been spent. If it had been reported to AP right away, there's a chance. But it's been what, 3 days now? That money's gone.

I guess I missed this one... what were they having you check your registers for?
When it happened to me, I got a call in guest service from someone claiming to be from CSC who was going to put a new K-function on our registers for gift cards, and I just needed to type a few things and it should restart the register and install the update. I had literally just started so I didn’t realize how BS this sounded and even though it felt a little off, I thought the operator wouldn’t transfer a fake call to me and I had no reason to doubt I wasn’t talking to CSC. Especially since they were telling me exactly what buttons to press and what my screen looked like at each step. And they basically tricked me into putting close to $2000 on a gift card and doing a cash payment. I knew I fucked up once the drawer opened. And i asked them before I pressed K1, won’t this make the register think I’m about to put money in? And he said don’t worry, I’m controlling your register from my satellite and all it will do is install the update. And I was like alright. And then the drawer opened and I was like oh shit and I was like “I think I need to get a GSTL” and he started screaming at me over the phone telling me he knows who I am and if I get a manger or hang up the phone he’s gonna have me fired and this and that and I had a panic attack and someone eventually noticed me freaking out (I was by myself) and came over and hung up the phone for me lol. I’m still shocked to this day I wasn’t fired over this especially because I was still within my 90 days

he started screaming at me over the phone telling me he knows who I am and if I get a manger or hang up the phone he’s gonna have me fired

That’s when I would’ve been like “who am I”.

I’ve never gotten a fake call but if I did I would ask for two pieces of info before continuing. 1) what’s my store number and what register number should I be on? Any CSC agent should be able to provide that instantly. 2) I hit a random K button then ask what’s on my screen now? Any CSC agent can tell you.

When it happened to me, I got a call in guest service from someone claiming to be from CSC who was going to put a new K-function on our registers for gift cards, and I just needed to type a few things and it should restart the register and install the update. I had literally just started so I didn’t realize how BS this sounded and even though it felt a little off, I thought the operator wouldn’t transfer a fake call to me and I had no reason to doubt I wasn’t talking to CSC. Especially since they were telling me exactly what buttons to press and what my screen looked like at each step. And they basically tricked me into putting close to $2000 on a gift card and doing a cash payment. I knew I fucked up once the drawer opened. And i asked them before I pressed K1, won’t this make the register think I’m about to put money in? And he said don’t worry, I’m controlling your register from my satellite and all it will do is install the update. And I was like alright. And then the drawer opened and I was like oh shit and I was like “I think I need to get a GSTL” and he started screaming at me over the phone telling me he knows who I am and if I get a manger or hang up the phone he’s gonna have me fired and this and that and I had a panic attack and someone eventually noticed me freaking out (I was by myself) and came over and hung up the phone for me lol. I’m still shocked to this day I wasn’t fired over this especially because I was still within my 90 days
Hopefully the GSTL was able to post void that before they got to using it.

POS updates during store operating hours...lol

The phrase I learned during my Target years is that if it really has to do with corporate...it will be in an email.
The only two times I’ve ever gotten a call from Target.com they were prepared with the information to give me and did not ask me to do anything with any payment info.

You used to be able to use the phones at the registers to speak over the walkies. It was very helpful when a cashier needed something from the SF.

You used to be able to use the phones at the registers to speak over the walkies. It was very helpful when a cashier needed something from the SF.
Huh. When we had them I never knew how.

what I don’t get is since the help button on POS now does nothing why they won’t make it say “GSTL needed at Lane X” over the walkie like the Addl asst button. That would be insanely helpful.

what I don’t get is since the help button on POS now does nothing why they won’t make it say “GSTL needed at Lane X” over the walkie like the Addl asst button. That would be insanely helpful.

if your GSTL has the myAlerts on you can actually use the help button to summon them or make requests

Either our GSTL/GSAs don't have the myAlerts on or they just ignore us.
Depending on who's on duty, I'm inclined to believe it's the latter.

Either our GSTL/GSAs don't have the myAlerts on or they just ignore us.

"ALL STARBUCKS CERTIFIED TEAM MEMBERS ARE NEEDED AT STARBUCKS FOR GUEST ASSISTANCE"
"ALL STARBUCKS CERTIFIED TEAM MEMBERS ARE NEEDED AT STARBUCKS FOR GUEST ASSISTANCE"

they'll get the picture eventually

I wish that would make a return.

Doesn't the help button tell you that it failed and to use your lane light if your GSA/GSTL doesn't have myAlerts on?

I wish that would make a return.

Doesn't the help button tell you that it failed and to use your lane light if your GSA/GSTL doesn't have myAlerts on?
Yeah and that doesn’t help at GS.

Someone a while back said Help button was disabled. Either way it’s too slow to use.

My store isn't allowed to use the flashers (they haven't done it at the new lanes yet, but on our old lanes they had screwed something in so you couldn't put the switch in the "up" position where it flashes) so we only use the help button. Seems to work for the most part but I wish there was a quick "I NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY PANIC PANIC PANIC" button for "special" situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back