Does your store have self-checkouts?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soyaxo

So-Called Something Or Other
My store is getting an "upgrade" (although I wouldn't call it that) to the self checkouts next week, and I was wondering if anyone already has them in their store and how they are working out. One thing I really did like was that we didn't have them because it was a way for us to better interact with the people within our store, but now it will change. :S

Does anybody have the moveable cash register? I have seen some self checkouts have one for the cashier to use if it gets busy

My former store got the SCO but they don't always have someone monitoring it.
I was using one & it said 'an attendant was needed' but there wasn't one around.

We just put 4 in last week. Its been so painful getting them to actually work. Also annoying having to override literally every transaction and have every guest get pissed because of it.

I think that is normal ours were like that to.

It is in the same thread I had reference. Here is a picture.

:eek::eek:

That photo is truly painful. I could understand seeing that as an acceptable solution in the 80's/90's but that's just embarrassing...and that's coming from someone who is definitely not a technology snob. If you're gonna do a mobile cash register why wouldn't you just implement a system like Apple stores or something? This makes Target seem painfully outdated.

Are you guys allowed to use your SCOs? In my store, we aren't able to make purchases at them if we worked that day. However if we come in on our day off, we CAN use them. I think that's so weird.

Are you guys allowed to use your SCOs? In my store, we aren't able to make purchases at them if we worked that day. However if we come in on our day off, we CAN use them. I think that's so weird.

I use them all the time. Even lets me type my discount card in, since mine doesn't scan well when it's laminated.

But then again, no one really updates me regarding new store policies.

Target is behind the times. Stores have been getting rid of their SCOs because it hurts customer satisfaction overall as well as increases theft. Considering Target has done nothing to improve the SCO experience, I don't see them lasting forever. Guess time will tell.

Our store got 4 Self Checkouts in a 2 x 2 grid during our Home Innovation remodel. The first month was awful, and it was a pain adjusting your closing routine as a GSA with all of the added steps, but once your team gets to know them and they are working well they are a valuable asset. We schedule a couple of cashiers under "Guest Service Training" for monitoring SCO, and it seems to work fairly well. They are very useful at night and in the early morning, when people are making quick purchases and just want to get out of the store.

The only reason why closing them is a pain is because there are a lot of steps, so it easily adds 30-40 minutes to your closing routine if you have to juggle closing them and dealing with other things, which is often the case. When I closed, I would call for my start funds at around 10:45 (My store closes at midnight) and I'd usually have my funds by 11. Close the back two SCOs by 11:15-11:20, then close Food Ave/Starbucks/Pharmacy, then close the remaining two SCO's, then work on closing the remaining register except for 4 or so until the store is completely closed.

When they fuck up, it can be a pain to fix. Especially when there's an issue with the coin/bill accepter or the dispensers. I've had to call the Vendor to resolve the issues a few times, and only once did we need a technician to come on-site to get it in working order again. I placed the call at around 8PM, and the technician arrived around 9 or so which is really quick, given that it was already evening and I wouldn't have been surprised if they waited until the next day to come in to fix it. Guy fixed it and was on his way 15 minutes later.

No issue with that here, the SCO's are a godsend for meal breaks.

Our store got 4 Self Checkouts in a 2 x 2 grid during our Home Innovation remodel. The first month was awful, and it was a pain adjusting your closing routine as a GSA with all of the added steps, but once your team gets to know them and they are working well they are a valuable asset. We schedule a couple of cashiers under "Guest Service Training" for monitoring SCO, and it seems to work fairly well. They are very useful at night and in the early morning, when people are making quick purchases and just want to get out of the store.

The only reason why closing them is a pain is because there are a lot of steps, so it easily adds 30-40 minutes to your closing routine if you have to juggle closing them and dealing with other things, which is often the case. When I closed, I would call for my start funds at around 10:45 (My store closes at midnight) and I'd usually have my funds by 11. Close the back two SCOs by 11:15-11:20, then close Food Ave/Starbucks/Pharmacy, then close the remaining two SCO's, then work on closing the remaining register except for 4 or so until the store is completely closed.

When they fuck up, it can be a pain to fix. Especially when there's an issue with the coin/bill accepter or the dispensers. I've had to call the Vendor to resolve the issues a few times, and only once did we need a technician to come on-site to get it in working order again. I placed the call at around 8PM, and the technician arrived around 9 or so which is really quick, given that it was already evening and I wouldn't have been surprised if they waited until the next day to come in to fix it. Guy fixed it and was on his way 15 minutes later.

No issue with that here, the SCO's are a godsend for meal breaks.

I wish so badly we could use them. When I had worked in a grocery store, there was no problem with employees using them. It would take me 30 seconds to buy stuff to eat on break. Now I waste about 5 minutes waiting in line at Food Ave. I think my store is more strict about it, because they realize ALL employees basically have supervisor access to the functions on SCOs. Where as, at the grocery store, only some people had access, and it was all monitored by someone at the center console, which Targets don't have. (another mistake, Target)

Even still, it's not like an employee stealing stuff there wouldn't set off red flags somewhere anyway. I think it's totally pointless for them to restrict our use of them.

We got them a few months ago and let me tell you they are a gigantic headache. I personally love them but guests are clueless on how to use them and it clogs up the lines and it aggravates the gstl because no one is using the lanes.

Self checkouts in theory are supposed to reduce line congestion because the machines are very simple to use, unfortunately the designers underestimated people's stupidity.
Also there's so many things that cause the machine to "lock up" and need the cashier in charge of SCO or the roaming GSA/GSTL to assist the guest that, on a busy day, the SCO line regularly ends up being longer than the regular cashier lines.

Which defeats the whole purpose of them but then I realize that's just the selling point, the real reason for their existence is for Target to save money by having less cashiers.

Today at the self checkouts they said we need to start asking for redcards I am like you've got to be joking......... Okay let's go up and bother the guests and say would you like to open a redcard?? I mean the self-checkouts are supposed to be there for people in a hurry not bothering them and asking them if they need a redcard. I should add if they decide ( keyword decide) to get a redcard we take them to a register and sign them up. BTW no one signed up for a redcard today.....Can't imagine why not:rolleyes:

Today at the self checkouts they said we need to start asking for redcards I am like you've got to be joking......... Okay let's go up and bother the guests and say would you like to open a redcard?? I mean the self-checkouts are supposed to be there for people in a hurry not bothering them and asking them if they need a redcard. I should add if they decide ( keyword decide) to get a redcard we take them to a register and sign them up. BTW no one signed up for a redcard today.....Can't imagine why not:rolleyes:
I can imagine Target making SCOs available for only REDCard holders. "Skip the lines AND save 5%!" I am going to be gone whilst they install them and for the first week, so I'll have to find out how they've worked out when I return.

Can guests use coupons at the SCOs?
Yeh, but I see a problem with that already: you scan the coupon & the coupon slot blinks until you drop it in.
When it was one that couldn't be peeled off or something, the attendant took her badge & stuck it in the slot partway 'til it stopped blinking; people could hold onto a high dollar coupon & use it for multiple transactions.
And we don't always have an attendant on-hand at ours.
I use them when I only have a few items & the lines are long.

If you're going to have SCOs they really ought to be staffed with someone at all times, or your theft is going to skyrocket. Plain and simple. But of course Target doesn't get that and just resolves the theft losses by cutting more hours. At Lowe's, where I work, our self-checkouts have to be manned by someone at all hours of the day. I literally cannot have it unmanned for more than a minute without my LP getting upset with me. We don't even allow the cashier there to ring people up on the register that's there because we want them watching what's going on at SCO at all times without distractions. The result is almost no theft at SCO. But again, that requires actually paying someone to be there and we all know that scares the daylight out of Brian and his peons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back