Archived Self-Checkouts

Does your store have self-checkouts?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We just got a second SCO put in at my store, although I'm not sure if it'll be up and running anytime soon. We do have someone who is in charge of it (usually just a regular cashier) but it's a hot mess tbh. At least one of the checkouts is down, and usually during peak hours, so there's always a line. Hopefully having two of them will increase efficiency, but who knows...

We have them, and I actually really like them. We normally have 1 or 2 people overlooking them. My store often schedules me to work close to closing and I am the only cashier on the lanes, so when I need to go to the bathroom or whatever, the SCOs come in handy. Sometimes one will go down but its usually a quick fix

We have them, and I actually really like them. We normally have 1 or 2 people overlooking them. My store often schedules me to work close to closing and I am the only cashier on the lanes, so when I need to go to the bathroom or whatever, the SCOs come in handy. Sometimes one will go down but its usually a quick fix

So guests need to use the SCO because there are no other cashiers scheduled/available?

So guests need to use the SCO because there are no other cashiers scheduled/available?

Yeah, we are really pushing for more guests to use the SCO. Even tho my store only has 3 (we are an older, smaller store).

Guests at my store are always like "I don't like SCO because it takes jobs" but considering we went from rarely one express lane to 4 always-on semi-express lanes, like...... folks, are you kidding, they weren't giving us jobs anyways..... I've gotten to the point where I've just straight up said that because I don't have any talking points to administer. Like, yeah, it's not taking jobs, they already took the jobs and now they're giving us a little bit back.

Ethically, I struggle, but functionally I like it a lot, until we get so many cashier hours cut that giant orders are going through SCO and then it's awful and everyone's pissed and we call for backup and they're like "can you direct to SCO" and I'm like "can you not"

some of the stores near me have them but mine just got them and i love them at the other stores and i know i will love the ones at my store.

I love self checkouts when I'm on lunch and buying one or two simple things. Much less a fan when I'm off the clock and trying to buy produce or couponed meat.

My store doesn't have them yet, but I was told we'll be getting them eventually. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm sure they'll be usefull. Something tells me that lots of help will be needed there since the shoppers at my store can be pretty incompetent...

We've has SCO for a while now with 4 registers and 75% of the time, at least one of them is down. They shut them all down around 8PM so they're not even in use when they'd be the most convenient...

Does anyone else get a little annoyed when guests walk through the busy SCO area because they can't be bothered to walk a few feet to the side pass through a closed lane? These are people who've just walked into the store and haven't started their shopping yet...

We have 4, and they're a big pain in the ass. When we're busy enough we have someone watch self check, otherwise the nearby lanes, 5, and 6, end up being reserved for self check trained cashiers who are willing, or at least able, to multitask when the GSTL is off doing other duties.

We have to reboot them fairly regularly, which can easily take 10-20 minutes, they need maintenance throughout the day, receipt tape, adding cash, bags, etc. The difference is its all a bigger pain to do on SCO than it is at a regular register.

We also have to keep an eye out for people who will do scummy things, like scan a cheap item, but place an expensive one on the scale, thus tricking the machine, and you get your couponers and all, who all cashiers are told to tell them to go to a cashier lane if they're using more than 2.

Long story short, they're more trouble then they're worth. But they at least make me confident it'll be a long while yet before Target can totally gut it's human staff for a fully automated shopping experience.

We started with two SCO then added two more.
I wish they'd sign them for 10 items or less (looking at the mom with four kids & a heaping cart).
We have a sign stating they CAN'T buy beer or wine there but nothing about medications or nicotine gum that requires ID.

The first few months of our store getting SCO's we would have a cashier with an SCO shift now we have our GSA or GSTL watch over them. When they have to go to guest service to argue with a guest then the person with a red blinker at SCO gets angry no one is helping them.

There's too many issues for the machine to not work.

Item is very light and the weight sensor doesn't read it APPROVAL NEEDED
Guest doesn't scan the item before putting it in the bag APPROVAL NEEDED
Their kid climbs on weight sensor APPROVAL NEEDED
Kid takes item they want out of the bag APPROVAL NEEDED
Guest tries to pay with their giftcard before they press finish payment. APPROVAL NEEDED
Guest's phone brightness is too low to scan cartwheel. APPROVAL NEEDED

Oh and sometimes the machines run out of receipt paper.

Guest tries to pay with their giftcard before they press finish payment. APPROVAL NEEDED
Most of that would be so easy to fix if they just gave us a damn central attendant station and screen.

The first few months of our store getting SCO's we would have a cashier with an SCO shift now we have our GSA or GSTL watch over them. When they have to go to guest service to argue with a guest then the person with a red blinker at SCO gets angry no one is helping them.

There's too many issues for the machine to not work.

Oh and sometimes the machines run out of receipt paper.
I've had two different instances of people adding money to their giftcard and charging themselves for it because of the SCO. Like, shit, training the cashiers on that step always has a few hiccups but now we're leaving it up to the guests. Great.

actually every store ive been to and ive asked, the cashiers have said they were getting more hours now that they have the self check out. because someone has to man it and someone has to be on cashier. we would open with 1 cashier, now we have 2. laddeeda. but the real test will be in november ... BLACK FRIDAY! then we'll see how much of a pay off they are!

actually every store ive been to and ive asked, the cashiers have said they were getting more hours now that they have the self check out. because someone has to man it and someone has to be on cashier. we would open with 1 cashier, now we have 2. laddeeda. but the real test will be in november ... BLACK FRIDAY! then we'll see how much of a pay off they are!

Not my store. Number of cashier hours dropped significantly. The front end grid went from 1.5 pages to about 3/4 of a page 2 weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back