Archived Self-Checkouts

Does your store have self-checkouts?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your training like? Is it hard to learn? We are getting them now and I'm a bit nervous.

How are the self checkouts working on Black Friday? I can see these being a huge LP issue

What was your training like? Is it hard to learn? We are getting them now and I'm a bit nervous.
Training was easy provided your GSAs/GSTLs share whatever Workbench had on SCO. Course there's a few tricks the information doesn't tell you like in order to bypass inserting Meat Coupons ya gotta "juke it" using something else so to speak.

The coupon fraud on our SCO machines was horrendous. Myself and the other Cash Office person would show all these photocopied, altered coupons for $100s a week to the STL and AP ETL. Nothing was done to curb it. Then like a bolt from the clear blue sky, out DTL came to visit the store and she told my bosses... no more coupons at the SCO machines. Tape up the slots, place some signs and make sure there are no exceptions. I'm pretty sure that directive went district wide.

Ours hasn't done that yet but there's enough flags that it keeps the attendant busy.
Only thing we had was a guest's cartwheel crash three SCOs in a row.
That was fun.....

My gstl is a dumbass she will have the guest service person run both sco and GS seems everytime that happens we get alot of angry guests

sco.jpg

In a store with this layout, where would be the ideal place for self checkouts?

We're getting them soon, and the general consensus seems to be to put them on the guest services side, removing the cartwell and a checklane to make room. That way it'll be easier for the GSTL to be nearby, and it's in view of the service desk TM.

View attachment 2582

We're getting them soon, and the general consensus seems to be to put them on the guest services side, removing the cartwell and a checklane to make room. That way it'll be easier for the GSTL to be nearby, and it's in view of the service desk TM.

The far 2 on each end would come out.

View attachment 2582

You are a supert. Anyone who a supert please respond?

View attachment 2582

Looks somewhat like my store with the 18 checklanes and they stuck them near Bullseye's playground, and killed two checklanes and some of the cartwell.

Flip the Sbux and GS and we could be twinsies! ;)

So I have a question how do you change the ink on self checkouts
Same as regular registers: Catalina printers for coupons use a cartridge, checking imprinting uses a ribbon cartridge, receipt printing is thermal - no ink. Check imprint ribbon would likely mean opening up the SCO but I don't think I've ever seen anyone use a check there.

At other stores, I tend to use SCOs but at my store I almost always check out with a cashier just cos I like to chat with them, especially if it's one I haven't talked to in awhile. :p

You are a supert. Anyone who a supert please respond?
Not a Super Target. I was just looking to see what others thought is the best location in that setup. To make sure I'm not the crazy person for thinking it makes more sense on the service desk side...

The far 2 on each end would come out.
Oh god that would be even worse.

Looks somewhat like my store with the 18 checklanes and they stuck them near Bullseye's playground, and killed two checklanes and some of the cartwell.

Flip the Sbux and GS and we could be twinsies! ;)
Yeah that's what we all assumed would happen when we heard we were getting SCO... But no, Spot is going against all reason and the recommendations of the ETL-GE, PMT, and STL and is instead putting them in front of Starbucks at the opposite end of the front. I feel bad for the GSTLs because that's a lot of ground they are going to have to cover and there won't be a single place they can stand to see the entire front-end at once (assuming they don't schedule anyone specifically to watch them).

It was a Greatland in my area it is the largest layout, that is not a 2-story store. No SuperT's exist over here. Yes in front of the Sbux as far from the GS desk as you can get. Which is actually a good thing. Cause when it gets busy with this layout would be a huge choke point. Between people needing the guest service desk and self check out. You need a person to watch SCO during busy times and GS people are not it one or two them can't get away from the GSSD to fix the SCO's and the idiots who use them.

Two on each end just means two of them will never be open.

@TgtLog I dunno it makes more sense on the Starbucks side to me if only because there's more space to kill over there than there is on the Guest Service side. Also having been former GS, I can tell you having to monitor both GS and SCO I would have undoubtedly walked out during peak times. Having it near Starbucks forces you guys to hopefully have a cashier monitoring it at all times.

@TgtLog I dunno it makes more sense on the Starbucks side to me if only because there's more space to kill over there than there is on the Guest Service side. Also having been former GS, I can tell you having to monitor both GS and SCO I would have undoubtedly walked out during peak times. Having it near Starbucks forces you guys to hopefully have a cashier monitoring it at all times.

This.. In the early morning we have one cashier and another who floats doing candy and replenishment of bags and what not she/he watches the SCO's and in the early morning the people who use them are actually smart once they learn how they work and mostly employees. But for us after 10:30a they have a baby sitter they just get so busy.

I wasn't expecting service desk to actually run self checkout, I just meant that they would be able to call someone if needed because it would be in view and the GSTL is most often near that end of the store.

They went ahead and installed it at the Starbucks side on the weekend anyway, so it's a moot point now. Still had to kill a checklane to make room, so it's bigger than I thought it would be.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not on the front end and I hope they actually have someone scheduled to monitor it, because you can't even see most of the lights at the top unless you're standing in front of it (the regular checklane lights are like 3 foot by 3 foot and obscure the view).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back