Archived Self-Checkouts

Does your store have self-checkouts?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My store has started following best practice, which consists of the opening cashier watching SCO with no lanes open until the next cashier comes in. This has led to many angry guests, especially since all the little old ladies like to do their shopping early in the morning.

I wasn't expecting service desk to actually run self checkout, I just meant that they would be able to call someone if needed because it would be in view and the GSTL is most often near that end of the store.

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not on the front end and I hope they actually have someone scheduled to monitor it, because you can't even see most of the lights at the top unless you're standing in front of it (the regular checklane lights are like 3 foot by 3 foot and obscure the view).
Nobody expects Service Desk to run it, but when it comes down to it, Guest Service always ends up running SCO because ~~payroll~~ or because they pull the person monitoring it for some reason.

They recently starting making someone permanently stay at SCO, that lasted for about 2 weeks before they went back to making them go on a lane while the GSA/GSTL watches SCO.

Last edited:
Usually Food Ave watches SCO. We used to have dedicated SCO cashiers but nah Food Ave

I feel sorry for store's ap team with self checkout especially if your store willingly will have no one watch it. But it raises a question my gstl told me we aren't supposed to look inside tubs or trash cans when they use self checkout. To me that sounds like a great way to watch stuff walk right out the door but according to her it's spot policy.

I'm at a SuperT and our self checkout just replaced the 8 express lanes that we hardly ever opened. So we have 4 SCOs at each end of the regular check lanes. So far we have had a cashier assigned to each end that has a walkie so they can call of the GSTL/GSA if there is an issue they can't resolve.

I'm afraid of what this will look like for Black Friday.

I'm at a SuperT and our self checkout just replaced the 8 express lanes that we hardly ever opened. So we have 4 SCOs at each end of the regular check lanes. So far we have had a cashier assigned to each end that has a walkie so they can call of the GSTL/GSA if there is an issue they can't resolve.

I'm afraid of what this will look like for Black Friday.
I'd put money on the self-checkouts being closed and the area stuffed with doorbusters, honestly.

So, last year I was GSTL for the first time in 3 years, opening shift, Black Friday (long story...). My STL wanted me to open SCO so we could get the lines moving faster. Keep in mind I knew virtually NOTHING about them (other than using them at other retailers in desperation), I had no clue how to troubleshoot even the simplest of issues. Well, we open them and then whaddaya know, they did the "Operation Not Allowed" screen which pissed off several guests who had been waiting in line to use them. STL didn't know how to fix the issue so we wound up closing them.

Now since I am a full-time GSTL I have learned how to use them, maintenance them, and hate them as much as everyone. Our AP has directed us to have someone at SCO at all times, and they cannot leave, even to help a guest at Target Cafe (we used to have them "cover" breaks there until it became fairly busy and we had a lot of shortage, now we have Sbux do it). I had heard a rumor that if all goes well they were going to put machines at both ends of the lanes at higher volume stores which would be horrid, considering they always crash or have money jams at the most inopportune of times, imagine having to deal with it at both sides!! I already tear what's left of my hair out having the service desk and SCO on opposite sides of the front lanes, and usually if I get called to one, chances are once I'm at one I'll get called immediately to the other.

Nope. Ours have always been open and we have a TM watching them, even on Thanksgiving.
How does this work on Black Friday? Do guests that wanna use the SCO's get to bypass the long line to check out in the normal lanes? Or is there two separate lines?

We don't have them and I keep forgetting to ask if we are getting them. I really don't know if they are a good idea or not.
Make friends with your PMT, because he will be among the first to know.

Do the self checkouts have a "God mode" where you can set it to act like a normal register (turn off the weight sensor and let you scan things normally)?

If so, they could be very helpful on Thanksgiving if a cashier is assigned to each one.

How does this work on Black Friday? Do guests that wanna use the SCO's get to bypass the long line to check out in the normal lanes? Or is there two separate lines?
Nope, it's all the same line. Whoever is running it will just hand the TM a walkie and tell them to alert them when one of the SCOs is free. It seems to work
Do the self checkouts have a "God mode" where you can set it to act like a normal register (turn off the weight sensor and let you scan things normally)?

If so, they could be very helpful on Thanksgiving if a cashier is assigned to each one.
Yes, there is a god mode per say. If you login to the Help screen, there's a button for Assist Mode. This mode bypasses all warnings and is almost like ringing up someone on a register. Only thing that can't be done in assist mode is payments. However, having each cashier watch one could be a bit overzealous. Your cashiers will either bunch up and talk and ignore the SCOs or will play on their phones/talk to their other friends on the registers and ignore the SCOs. I'd say having two cashiers to watch SCO should be more than enough, and you can probably get away with one with the exception of Thanksgiving night.

So we've had the self checkouts running for a few weeks now and as expected, they don't have anyone scheduled to run them. Starbucks is supposed to take a walkie and they call the GSTL if they see a light. Of course Starbucks is often busy, so guests usually need to wait until a random TM walks by and they will call the GSTL.

We've had them for a couple if weeks but they haven't been working. We're a super with 4 on each end. The most we have had working at a time is 4. Our screens keep freezing up. I haven't had any real training yet so I'm just trying to figure things out for myself. I just wish they would work.

It's funny watching people get in line for the self-checkouts, you just know which fools are going to have an issue and need assistance. Should put a sign out front that states: 'If you're not smart enough to check yourself out, please use the regular lanes!'

Had the weekend off but when I left 3/4 of ours were down... And it had been like that for the whole week. NCR/CSC were no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back