Archived Sell, Sell, Sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we could mention the sale on dryer sheets or cartwheel deal on dish soap while we have them against the detergent wall.
Shoes are shoes, hard to sell 2 if a guest only wants one, but home commodities-so much to add to your basket.....did you catch the new ‘Welly’ endcap on your way over here ?

Don't forget when their back is against the wall how they can save 5% on that detergent purchase and all future detergent purchases.

The pressure isn’t to ‘sell’. The pressure is to drive higher sales in your department: comps. If your DBOs are working end to end successfully, it’ll happen on its own. The new system, when working properly, drives sales floor accuracy, full shelves, current pogs, better zones, and TMs on the floor to help guest find things. That’s where sales increase.

I'm not saying you are wrong or that I don't believe you, but do you have any statistics to back up your claim that it will do all that? Again, not saying it won't, but if you are claiming it WILL, some facts would be nice.

Story from this week:
Young guest approaches asking if we carry the new pregnancy test that has a ‘how many weeks pregnant indicator’ , no we do not carry that but when I say Congratulations, did you get your vitamins yet (as it’s the next aisle over) she was very spooked and ran off like I was invading her privacy....fine rope we walk for helpful into invasive.

Welcome modernization. If the guest actively wants your help try to offer outfits then set them up in the fitting room. Tell the guest your name and where you will be if not at the fitting room, if they need anything. When they leave ask if they liked any pieces and if they did make assories suggestions them show them if they are interested. If you have a tm in that area, call them and ask they show them. Actively work while they are browsing and offer assistance to guests that don't want your help but make sure you are informing them on sales/cartwheel.

I'm not saying you are wrong or that I don't believe you, but do you have any statistics to back up your claim that it will do all that? Again, not saying it won't, but if you are claiming it WILL, some facts would be nice.
I have my own comps backing it up, which would very much reveal my store and identity 😂

Story from this week:
Young guest approaches asking if we carry the new pregnancy test that has a ‘how many weeks pregnant indicator’ , no we do not carry that but when I say Congratulations, did you get your vitamins yet (as it’s the next aisle over) she was very spooked and ran off like I was invading her privacy....fine rope we walk for helpful into invasive.
I work that area every truck day and have learned to be cautious about personal information. If someone is looking for prenatal vitamins, then I might offer congratulations (although some people use them as a "super vitamin" without being pregnant). But someone wanting a pregnancy test might be hoping she's NOT pregnant. Wanting to know how far along she is might be because she's considering terminating, or trying to figure out who the father is? (Not judging here, just saying life is complicated sometimes.)
I get asked about where the stool softener is - I point it out, but I'm not going to suggest hemorrhoid remedies as well. Some areas of the store need to be approached more on a "stick to the question asked" basis than a "what can I sell you today" basis. As far as increasing basket size goes, plenty of guests come in for a bottle of pain reliever and leave with a cart full if they're shopping the areas of the store with ordinary household needs.

This thread reminded me of last year when I suggested to my TL that we stock beer, condoms and pregnancy tests in back to college. They were amused.
We merchandise folding tables, solo cups, and ping pong balls in back to college.
Interesting. Some very creative minds here. Hoping future DBO’s are thinking along those lines.

What I hate are the lessons, where they ask how I would approach a situation. Because there is no one type of approach since guests aren't cookie cutters. Some clearly don't want a lot of interaction and will buy more if left alone after saying hello. Some are best with the "professional" approach, friendly greeting and informational way of speaking, with directions (or showing) of additional items that fit what is being discussed. Some will run with a joke when you open with one, and it's easy to point out more and more items and they'll love you for it. Some will be just walking by and then peek at something on your reshop cart and will be happy when you encourage them to shop off it and tell them where to find the items they like on the floor so they can get the right size (and anything else that are on the racks next to it, which is partially why I don't fetch it).

Not exactly on point here, but reminds me of a drive up order a couple of days ago. Some folding Cat and Jack pants out of the back to start. Next up, diapers. Makes sense. We're on to HBA for a pregnancy test. Oh no. Then we round it off with condoms. Somebody done learned their lesson, maybe?

Really a nice guest when I took the order out to her though. I spared her the whole do you wanna look through and make sure everything is there routine. Just scan that barcode, say, "Yes, we are going fast today. Have a great day," in response to her comment and be on my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back