Archived Selling Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something really weird happened today.

We reset the tv stands as usual. The displays, to my knowledge, are unsellable.

But they had someone marking them. And lots of specific employees looking over them. And it seems a certain etl approving it.

Years ago, we used to do silent auctions for display furniture. The proceeds went to the United Way.

But I've never seen furniture displays marked "as is" or "online item" and sold.

I'm not saying it's wrong. But is this a change I'm not aware of?

Also, the Target Mobile guy, who normally wouldn't be anywhere near D, was putting them out.

I don't know, it all seems shady. What next, taking the display only tags off display car seats?

Last edited:
They are allowed to sell displays at a discounted price. My store is doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Most of it can be sold. Unless it's like tie wrapped to the shelf (which some of it is and that stuff is completely off limits) or something along those lines most ETL's are open to selling the displays as long as the customer knows it's probably a piece of crap because it's been on the shelf for so long. I agree with @masterofalltrades TV's and electronics in general are kind of iffy. They're like the iPhone displays they're just there for you to look at and play around with.

Most of it can be sold. Unless it's like tie wrapped to the shelf (which some of it is and that stuff is completely off limits) or something along those lines most ETL's are open to selling the displays as long as the customer knows it's probably a piece of crap because it's been on the shelf for so long. I agree with @masterofalltrades TV's and electronics in general are kind of iffy. They're like the iPhone displays they're just there for you to look at and play around with.

What do you mean "tied wrapped to the shelf?"

These are displays that come on the signing pallet. The PMT builds and either zip ties or screws to the shelf/pegboard.

So it's not product. It's not counted in the inventory.

I just didn't think we sold that. We never have before.

Some displays have to be zip tied to the shelf so that our "Guests" don't pull them down and get hurt..
Yeah like all our bar stools are tie wrapped to the wall and we can't sell them. ETL-AP gets super pissed when a guests insists on cutting them so they can "See what it looks like."

Yeah like all our bar stools are tie wrapped to the wall and we can't sell them. ETL-AP gets super pissed when a guests insists on cutting them so they can "See what it looks like."

See what it looks like....

Last week I spent several minutes arguing with a guest about a toaster. She wanted to know if it was a plug in toaster...I said yes...she said it couldn't be, because she looked at the display and couldn't find it. I explained it had to be plug in, and I could open the box and prove it to her. She didn't want that....said the display didn't have a place for a cord.

I called over the LOD who explained that the display toaster was not real, so there was no place for a plug...she still didn't get it.

I really wanted to know what planet she was on where stores are selling battery powered or solar powered toasters. Oy.

Furniture displays are not sold, neither are small appliances or vacuums. Tvs and patio furniture/grills are. The display plate is not supposed to be sold but guests pull them down all the fucking time. This had not changed recently that I know of.

Not that our esteemed etl-ge and stl haven't sold several tv stand displays...

The worst was the tea pot and French press displays.
"There aren't any moving parts? What can be wrong with it,that you won't sell it?"
How about the words display only that I engraved in the bottom? Does that count?
Micro abrasions in the borosillicate glass on a French press from idiotic guests could explode. The end.

Tea pot? We use industrial strength cleaner to keep these nice. It eats the enamel...

The As is, and online returns can be built and sold, my store does that with all the online furniture since the boxes are usually blank. And blank boxes don't sell. But regular furniture displays - nope we don't sell them. But if you talk to my ETL-GE will sell it to you.

The As is, and online returns can be built and sold, my store does that with all the online furniture since the boxes are usually blank. And blank boxes don't sell. But regular furniture displays - nope we don't sell them. But if you talk to my ETL-GE will sell it to you.

Best practice is to go online to the website, get the picture of it, print it out and slap it on the box. We just defect them out and send them on to Goodwill or the compactor.

Micro abrasions in the borosillicate glass on a French press from idiotic guests could explode. The end.

Borosilicate glass is extremely strong. You could take it from 350F to 32F & back (over and over) without it exploding. Sadly... it's a rarity that the type of glass is manufactured anymore, due to rising costs to make it, and the popularity of soda-lime. Most if not all, US Companies phased it out in the early 90's.

Soda-Lime glass is the one you have to be super careful with. Tiny little scratches, in Pyrex glass cookware & other soda lime glassware, can cause a random explosion when moved near a heat source, or a sudden change in temperature.

No. I'm not a chemist. Actually, I just like to bake. And I've learned too, too much about glass bakeware from reading threads on Cooking Forums.

Best practice is to go online to the website, get the picture of it, print it out and slap it on the box. We just defect them out and send them on to Goodwill or the compactor.

We will take the money, cause we build it, it sells usually same day it's put out. We did the picture thing, people ripped the box open anyways. It more than pays for the time to build them.

With BBQ there is one that I know is just a display, no guts in the thing, the rest should be able to sell them. My store at least.

As a long time Plano tl, here's the scoop with displays;

Anything in baby: no - liability related
Anything in Furniture : no - liability
The rest;
IF When setting the planogram, the display came out of normal boxed stock, yes, you can sell the display. Most electronics are this way, some grills.

IF when setting the planogram, the display came in a display box marked dept 4, then no, technically you cannot sell it. The one exception is grills, which are normal product with a d4 label taped on. As long as they are built correctly, you can legally sell them. However if they explode/fall apart/otherwise injure someone, target is liable because they assembled it.

Most importantly, just use common sense.

What are the rules as far as getting rid of furniture displays? To my understanding, a while back, we had a vendor come in and build the displays. The ones he built were given to donations(goodwill), and the ones we built were tossed. Fast forward to now, the PMT is in charge of building all displays. So, do we toss them all? How do you know what goes to donations and what doesn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back