Archived Service Desk Training?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B26

So it looks like they stopped my Sales Floor Training to begin training me in the Service Desk. What should I expect?

Thanks!

Yelling, screaming, swearing entitlement b****es and b*****ds, who will do so even in front of their own (or other people's) children.

Thanks... Quite excited to begin the new position ;)

I'm asking more about what I'll be doing in training and what tasks people working the service Desk are supposed to do.

I know nothing other then that they do returns so I'd like to know more about what I'm actually expected to do.

I have been trained at service desk and have started getting shifts there. I LOVE it. Expect to do a lot of returns, answer bizarre questions, and spend a lot of time drowning in strays that need to be sorted and carted up. Some stuff is a bit confusing. Just keep asking questions. Even after a few shifts, as new things come up, I have questions....because you can't train for every scenario. But if your store is anything like mine, they'll happily answer them.

Fresh meat for HOLIDAY RETURNS!!!:diablo: Most of everything is pretty simple. Its kind of like Carts but inside....you are tasked to do several things so you must multi-task to get everything done.

There should be a chart and training guide on how to process the most common returns. Its setup just like the lanes with straight forward prompts.Scan receipt, return item, possibly do a purchase transaction. Or with no receipt, type in ID#, scan item, inform guest that the lowest marked price is $?.?? without the receipt. Call floor for reshop on a regular but not annoying basis. If its some sort of opened video/game/software media or music, it must be an exact title exchange and must open the new product. Depending on your store, you may change formats Xbox for PS3 and BluRay for DVD.

Probably the most complicated of all things is defecting items and then auditing them. And overriding certain defectives that need to be destroyed. Then sorting them in chargeback. And price changes. Item researching. Once you get it in a rhythm its not difficult.

The most difficult of all things are irate guests:angry: and hardship cases. If a guest doesn't like how a return comes out, and they get angry. You must stay calm and collective. Kill them kindness and a calm voice & smile. :angel: Assure them of the return policy. Only call upon the GSA/GSTL/LOD :help: if the guest is hard set on speaking with someone other than you. In the end, just hand them the Guest Relations card. Lots of times, S/D will get hardship cases on several matters. Just inform them you are trying to help them all you can, but provide them with a Guest Relations card.

By the end of the day, you will be :suicide2: and that means you done everything right. J/K

Last edited:
I have been trained at service desk and have started getting shifts there. I LOVE it. Expect to do a lot of returns, answer bizarre questions, and spend a lot of time drowning in strays that need to be sorted and carted up. Some stuff is a bit confusing. Just keep asking questions. Even after a few shifts, as new things come up, I have questions....because you can't train for every scenario. But if your store is anything like mine, they'll happily answer them.

Thanks, RG!

Fresh meat for HOLIDAY RETURNS!!!:diablo: Most of everything is pretty simple. Its kind of like Carts but inside....you are tasked to do several things so you must multi-task to get everything done.

There should be a chart and training guide on how to process the most common returns. Its setup just like the lanes with straight forward prompts.Scan receipt, return item, possibly do a purchase transaction. Or with no receipt, type in ID#, scan item, inform guest that the lowest marked price is $?.?? without the receipt. Call floor for reshop on a regular but not annoying basis. If its some sort of opened video/game/software media or music, it must be an exact title exchange and must open the new product. Depending on your store, you may change formats Xbox for PS3 and BluRay for DVD.

Probably the most complicated of all things is defecting items and then auditing them. And overriding certain defectives that need to be destroyed. Then sorting them in chargeback. And price changes. Item researching. Once you get it in a rhythm its not difficult.

The most difficult of all things are irate guests:angry: and hardship cases. If a guest doesn't like how a return comes out, and they get angry. You must stay calm and collective. Kill them kindness and a calm voice & smile. :angel: Assure them of the return policy. Only call upon the GSA/GSTL/LOD :help: if the guest is hard set on speaking with someone other than you. In the end, just hand them the Guest Relations card. Lots of times, S/D will get hardship cases on several matters. Just inform them you are trying to help them all you can, but provide them with a Guest Relations card.

By the end of the day, you will be :suicide2: and that means you done everything right. J/K

Oh Jeez, just reading that post makes me scared ahaha.

S/D is not that hard to learn. And usually means that your store has faith in you. You will get into a rhythm of returning stuff and explaining the same return policy sch-pill over and over. You just have get used to multi-tasking. Handle a phone call while processing a return and handling money.

Thanks for the amazing input, Guys. I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

I've been over there for about 10 months. It's uh......interesting to say the least. You'll have some days that are smooth as butter and go off without a hitch. You'll have other days where you'll swear it's a full moon and people get all pissed off at you. And you'll get moronic people that get angry with you because their receipt is over a year old and want to know why they can't get a full refund with their receipt. Oh do I love those! "IT SAYS RIGHT THERE WHAT I PAID FOR IT! I HAVE THE RECEIPT!" "Uh yeah, I see that. But do you see this here? That is called an expiration date. It's no longer valid. Unfortunately, it doesn't do you any good." It gets pretty busy over there though between sorting stuff and getting bombarded with damages from the zone at the end of the night. Be prepared to work fast. lol, Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Guest Service.

I always loved the "Here's what I paid for it on the receipt!"
Except that it went clearance & you bought it on on final 70% off so now you're trying to return the one you bought at full price but it expired.
Awwww. Too bad, so sad.

I always loved the "Here's what I paid for it on the receipt!"
Except that it went clearance & you bought it on on final 70% off so now you're trying to return the one you bought at full price but it expired.
Awwww. Too bad, so sad.

Have a nice day & here is the 800 number...

I've been over there for about 10 months. It's uh......interesting to say the least. You'll have some days that are smooth as butter and go off without a hitch. You'll have other days where you'll swear it's a full moon and people get all pissed off at you. And you'll get moronic people that get angry with you because their receipt is over a year old and want to know why they can't get a full refund with their receipt. Oh do I love those! "IT SAYS RIGHT THERE WHAT I PAID FOR IT! I HAVE THE RECEIPT!" "Uh yeah, I see that. But do you see this here? That is called an expiration date. It's no longer valid. Unfortunately, it doesn't do you any good." It gets pretty busy over there though between sorting stuff and getting bombarded with damages from the zone at the end of the night. Be prepared to work fast. lol, Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of Guest Service.

Thanks. I've been a very quick worker at the checkout lanes so hopefully i'll be fine as GS.

Just a few questions after my first few days of training.

1. When sorting stuff will QWOP's and everything that requires a different box pop up in the system or am I going to need to know where to put it.

2. I should be working my first shift alone soon... What do I need to make sure gets done before close?

I have all the guest related things down to a science by now, it's really just all the other stuff that has me a bit confused. I'm hoping for some amazing input so I can be more ready for my SD shift next week. Thanks.

Just a few questions after my first few days of training.

1. When sorting stuff will QWOP's and everything that requires a different box pop up in the system or am I going to need to know where to put it.

2. I should be working my first shift alone soon... What do I need to make sure gets done before close?

I have all the guest related things down to a science by now, it's really just all the other stuff that has me a bit confused. I'm hoping for some amazing input so I can be more ready for my SD shift next week. Thanks.

I never use QWOP at my store. The person that works in receiving takes care of all that sorting. By the end of the night we just have to make sure the special handling, all salvage boxes, all food bank boxes, all donations to the animal shelters, and all CRC's that were there from the night before are taken to the back room and make sure that all see spot reshop is put away. On Saturdays we also have to switch out the ad and replace it with the new ad. It will be challenging at first. A good rule of thumb is about an hour before close I call out to the sales floor and ask for any and all damages to be brought to guest service so you can use the last hour to process the bulk of the damages, I grab a cart, and start loading it with all the stuff that needs to go to the back room. I sometimes have the GSTL watch the desk for about 5-10 minutes if that so I can get everything taken to the backroom during the last 15 minutes so when the store closes everything is done. Hope those tips help. It's really just a matter of learning to manage your time. You'll learn what works pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I never use QWOP at my store. The person that works in receiving takes care of all that sorting. By the end of the night we just have to make sure the special handling, all salvage boxes, all food bank boxes, all donations to the animal shelters, and all CRC's that were there from the night before are taken to the back room and make sure that all see spot reshop is put away. On Saturdays we also have to switch out the ad and replace it with the new ad. It will be challenging at first. A good rule of thumb is about an hour before close I call out to the sales floor and ask for any and all damages to be brought to guest service so you can use the last hour to process the bulk of the damages, I grab a cart, and start loading it with all the stuff that needs to go to the back room. I sometimes have the GSTL watch the desk for about 5-10 minutes if that so I can get everything taken to the backroom during the last 15 minutes so when the store closes everything is done. Hope those tips help. It's really just a matter of learning to manage your time. You'll learn what works pretty quickly.
Thanks for the only serious answer.

Not sure what QWOP is (in a Target context), but Smart Sort is your best friend. It will tell you where to put everything that you scan, and every cart and box should be labeled. If you use Smart Sort and print worklists when you top off a cart of re-shop, your hardlines team will like you. Just make sure everything has proper labels (clearance, salvage, license plates, special handling labels, etc.). For special handling, you should be able to put everything in the same box because every item should be in a zip-tied plastic bag (Reverse Logistics will sort them further the next day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back