Archived Ship From Store: aka "Lazy Shopping 101 @ Spot"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your store will get more payroll hours than it will know what to do with. We have over 600 hours given back to us for Ship From Store.

I wish mine had SFS, I would be awesome at something like that. Already have pick/pack experience from a place I use to be a temp at.

There are 2, sometimes 3 people during the morning/afternoon schedule for ship from store. The problem lately is, the orders are dropping in only a few at a time so its completely useless for that many people to try and work on it together. It ends up one person doing it, and the other two end up backstocking, doing reshop, or something else. I dont know if they are going to cut hours for it or what, but i remember a few weeks ago they had an insane amount of orders and could barely keep up.

There are 2, sometimes 3 people during the morning/afternoon schedule for ship from store. The problem lately is, the orders are dropping in only a few at a time so its completely useless for that many people to try and work on it together. It ends up one person doing it, and the other two end up backstocking, doing reshop, or something else. I dont know if they are going to cut hours for it or what, but i remember a few weeks ago they had an insane amount of orders and could barely keep up.

Current day orders should end at noon. Ones that drop after that are next day. How many are you getting at this time? Im at 450 plus daily

I'm at the point where I miss 450 max. We're at 700-900ish. It's getting really hard to keep up because of orders dropping at times we're not here, tms leaving (quitting or transferring) left and right, equipment problems (error messages every time I scan something for GPUs, and not to mention a dead spot for pdas that spans 3 departments), lack of hold locations, etc.

To me, this sounds like target is trying to eliminate hours at target.com
Maybe store people are cheaper labor

I don't think it's labor.
It's probably shipping, fuel, that sort of thing.
Sending the product from the closest store is going to be a lot cheaper than shipping it across the country especially if the person has a red card and they're getting free shipping so the company can't recoup the loss.

To me, this sounds like target is trying to eliminate hours at target.com
Maybe store people are cheaper labor

I don't think it's labor.
It's probably shipping, fuel, that sort of thing.
Sending the product from the closest store is going to be a lot cheaper than shipping it across the country especially if the person has a red card and they're getting free shipping so the company can't recoup the loss.

Or product availability. I've sent to every state, as well as D.C.

If I ship something usps from where I live it's usually the same price if I ship it next door or cross country, depending the type of shipping I pick.
What kind of shipping does target use?

This is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot. Target has certain everyday items it sells at little to no profit, even at a loss that is uses to get you in the store and the see cool others things that have high profit margins and buy them. You know the old, we only came in here for milk and shampoo and ended up spending $200. If people are buying the low or no profit stuff and having it sent then they never buy the stuff Target needs them to.

If I ship something usps from where I live it's usually the same price if I ship it next door or cross country, depending the type of shipping I pick.

UPS is the carrier.

They probably get a bulk discount, as well as a discount for sending things shorter distances. It's also faster than sending it from a DC. They really want to compete with Amazon primes 2 day shipping, if they can make that happen without a $100/year subscription then they could start getting a lot more traffic to their website.

You mean you actually ship the items to the guest? Will we have a new shipping and packing department? Or will that be part of photo that is no longer a department.

Certain stores are picked for it, mine is the running since we are the biggest and best organized in our group. One other store is bigger but they are bleeding red scores. And its a backroom and you should get more people to pull, pack, shop.

I love my Amazon prime, hell, I have had same day delivery, depending on what it is. And there are days that I am tired or flat don't want to deal with screaming kids. So in store pick up, or ship to the house allows me to not have to deal with that a one example

Last edited:
SFS? So, where does the packaging of stuff happen? How does the stuff ship from the store?

SFS? So, where does the packaging of stuff happen? How does the stuff ship from the store?

We made space in a corner in receiving. A vendor came in and set up the main fixtures. We added more for holding space. As items are picked from the sales floor they are placed into a holding area. Basically you are backsticking them into a hold location. As the shipping orders (collates) are printed, you then scan one of the barcodes on that then proceed to the holding area to pull those items for that order. Then you pack the order. Lastly scan the shipping label to activate the package into UPSs system. After that scan the item would be showing as "waiting on pickup" or something similar if you were to look up the tracking number.

Lots of work! Well, my store was just large enough for the remodel for fresh. I'm hoping that we're too small to do the SFS.

It's a work in progress and I definitely think they are expanding it too fast. We constantly get orders for products that we have 0 onhand! There's a subscription option where daily necessities such as diapers will automatically be shipped every month. The system also doesn't know to least at least 1 of the product on the salesfloor, this includes sale items. So there are things that people come in for on a regular basis and are finding empty shelves as a direct result of SFS. If your store is the only store in the area that has a particular product you can see orders repeatedly come in that day until you are sold out. It all counts as sales but I don't see how it doesn't effect the in store experience.

Seems to me as your daily order cap increases so should the truck size and number of deliveries that come in. Package shipping costs are determined by package size and weight and a monkey must have set up the SFS packing procedures. Those big yellow tubs of cat liter are like 44 lbs. On the other side of the spectrum the box size is severely limited so you might have an odd shaped item like a lego set that will be the only thing in this huge box.

We constantly get orders for products that we have 0 onhand!

It's automatically deducted by the system. If the count is -1 or less then it's legit out of stock. It'll go back up if the order is cancelled. SFS definitely does hinder the guest's in store experience. For example, when Wii Us were the hot deal, the cases were always empty because we scavenged them. Hell, we took them immediately after we received them.

At least I get to enjoy a relatively easy day tomorrow thanks to SFS being shutdown :<

The more I do it, the more I hate people.

Last time we got an order for 50 18pk hangers. 50 different collates, which mean 50 different boxes because it wants us to pack only one on each collate, all going to the same address. I pretty much wasted 2 hours since I have to basically replenish everything (box, tape, air bags).

Don't let me start on those ****ing paper towels

The more I do it, the more I hate people.

Last time we got an order for 50 18pk hangers. 50 different collates, which mean 50 different boxes because it wants us to pack only one on each collate, all going to the same address. I pretty much wasted 2 hours since I have to basically replenish everything (box, tape, air bags).

Don't let me start on those ****ing paper towels

the heck is a collate

Printed sheet, the top portion is a line listing of what the guest ordered. Bottom portion is a standard UPS shipping label. The top portion goes in the box/bag with the order.

I'm at the point where I miss 450 max. We're at 700-900ish. It's getting really hard to keep up because of orders dropping at times we're not here, tms leaving (quitting or transferring) left and right, equipment problems (error messages every time I scan something for GPUs, and not to mention a dead spot for pdas that spans 3 departments), lack of hold locations, etc.
How do you handle that many orders? My Backroom TL told us that our order cap would keep gradually increasing but it would never go higher than 200 (right now we are at 150).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back