• Thread starter JimmyTarget
  • Start date
  • Replies 21
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyTarget

As you all may or may not know, shoes is all PTM right now.
But there is no reset in the foreseeable future, so traditional PTM rules do not apply.

Should I leave all the label strips in and pretend that its not PTM and backstock new product?
Or completely tear it all apart and make room for clearance (multiple) 4 foot sections?
It's just a huge mess!
I was thinking of PTM-ing the back flip flop wall and endcaps and leaving the rest to POG, thoughts?

Important bit of info I forgot: We are a store with the tall, old-school shoe racks, not the short new prototype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Temporarily until the next reset or as a long-term thing?

With the exception of the flipflop wall and a few endcaps, e.g. shoelaces, our shoe dept. has been pretty much PTMed for a few months now as an experiment or something. I can try and take a look at it when I'm at work tomorrow and see how they're doing it.

Shoes at my store is always a complete mess and never to planogram, so I'm actually not sure it going PTM would change a damn thing, lol.

I would leave it until it starts to fall apart with clearance, then PTM it. Check out the Price Change Forecast tool in Workbench to see exactly when you're going to get slammed. I would also pull all discontinued shoes out of the back before they go clearance so you're not swamped with tubs from the backroom that you'll have to find room for because they'll already be on the floor and merchandised appropriately.

I'm not sure how well shoes is organized and maintained at your store, but at mine, having enough product so there are no outs and organizing clearance is the best I could realistically hope for. I could do an ambitious PTM including organizing them by size and style, but like every 4x4 we do in shoes, it would be completely destroyed by the end of the day.

Last edited:
Portable printer can print labels & white signs. At my store, we did that.

Considering it's going to take an entire shift just to superzone the department, I'll play it by ear.
Maybe only one aisle to make room for clearance.

Considering it's going to take an entire shift just to superzone the department, I'll play it by ear.
Maybe only one aisle to make room for clearance.
One aisle to be done with time allowed & communication to lod's & night folks is keys to success. Basically don't touch it or else.

We removed the yellow price labels in our shoe department, though we still have the white card for some shoes.

Our store redid all of the shelving, and pulled every single shoe from the backroom and put it on the sales floor. I wasn't enamored with the final product, but they did do a nice job with what they had. And for one, bright, shining afternoon, every damn pair of shoes was off the floor and on the shelves in the "correct" spot. I'm sure that was quickly ruined.

Target needs to rethink shoes. Get rid of the labels. Put the displays with a sign up top. Stock shoes underneath, striped by size and style to match up with the display. Keep a binder of labels with a picture of the shoe sorted by aisle. When you go to research, all you have to do is scan the label of the sizes you are missing for each style. You don't have to read labels on the shelf and compare them to the box DPCIs to figure out what's missing.

I don't know what is going on with shoes. It has been an ugly mess for months. As a flow tm I have given up trying to push to the correct location. Shoes that were never on a pog are flexed out wherever and shoes that have a location are flexed over. It never dawned on me that the whole dept. could be ptm, but that is exactly what it looks like. We keep on our flip areas and they are perfect!

we reset ours a few weeks ago, the only direction we were given was "forget the adjacency, just put them out"

looked like a tornado went through there within a day... >_<

I think it was in The Playbook, that eventually shoes will no longer be researched, along with a few other areas like MMB.

What's this playbook? Is that what replaced News to Use?

I managed to take a (very, very quick) peek at shoes today and from what I could tell, no more labels except on a few endcaps and the back wall. There's a good number of 3x5s on the display shelves though; I'm assuming enough to give guests enough of an idea what the price ranges are. Everything's sorted by type (sandals, boots, men's sneakers, etc), then manufacturer then I'm assuming size. Looks pretty full I think? But also we've had it like this for a good while now so they've slipped into a routine over there. For example, on truck days I know somebody from softlines flow comes in before the rest of softlines to start working the shoe freight (and autos maybe?). Then I'm guessing softlines salesfloor does some regular work over there to keep it maintained? Not sure.

There's still some backstock (but I think it's less than we had before) in the back and I'm not sure how or if they're handling research down the aisles but things actually looked a little neater than in the old days of label strips and all these gaps to avoid confusion of what was where. I'm sure if I actually went through I'd find problems but didn't have the time for that. Didn't notice clearance but I'd guess they reserve an endcap or two along with some 4-foot sections like before for that.

Hope that helps? Its not a bad idea, just needs a lot of coordination and communication to make it work.

My store made shoes PTM a several months ago. You need to have someone scheduled to work over there!
My store made the mistake of not scheduling anyone. When I moved over to softlines I made the mistake of underestimating shoes, holy shit.
I had about 20-30 different DPCIs on each shelve, seriously like a tornado flew by. It was impossible to find shoes, but now it's a bit decent.

This is what we did:
Purge the backroom of any shoes and make them fit out on the floor - no more backstock
Remove all label strips and labels
Organize shoes by brand and style, don't bother with sizing
print a 3x5 for the display
Designate an aisle or large section for clearance

Partner up with the Flow TL and make sure the flow team pushes correctly. I schedule one of my softlines TMs to help push shoes using log hours.
If you're not too short on hours try to schedule someone over in shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back