Sales Floor Short Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am super worried and unsure of what to do.

I had a cashier shift today, but typically work in softlines. I think the register I was working at may come up as $90 or $100 short. I did not take the money, here is the story.
A man purchased a $10 giftcard with a $100 bill. I entered in that he was paying with a $100 bill, and took out $90 in change to hand back to the man. Before the $90 was in his hand, he showed me that he had a $10 bill, so I took the $10 bill and handed him his original $100 bill back, to even out the cost. I swear I had handed the $100 bill back to him.
A few seconds later, he held a $10 bill Up claiming that I had handed him back the $10 bill rather than the $100 bill. Without thinking, Ihanded him a $100 bill. It was odd, as the $100 bill was not on top in the cash drawer, meaning I had to have given him one back already.
I could be remembering wrong, but I am very paranoid and worrying I will be fired or blamed for stealing. I did not think to tell a manager, I didn’t think much of it until I had got home. What should I do? I am worried to call and explain, in case this was just a misunderstanding on my part.

Also, if the register does come short, will I be called or talked to? I was not the only person on this register during the day. Just for a few hours.

just tell them so they can look out for the person in the future

it happens and you will get talked to but wont get in actual trouble

for short change, i just tell them "oh no im sure im right but lemme ask security to check the cameras real quick"

they drop it real quick and leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back