I'm Lost! Should I be suspicious because I was released, let go, from Target on December 17th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
December 17th of last year, and I got hired as a seasonal, temporary employee during the Holidays, the reason why I feel suspicious is because for most employers, when they are hired for a seasonal temporary job to help during the Holidays, they are usually not released, let go until the first or 2nd week of January, and the fact I got released on December 17th, which means I did not get to work on Christmas Eve either, i'm worried if that I was released, let go from Target on bad, negative terms, and Target has not been completely honest with me behind my release.

Because I remember one of the Managers, Supervisors, when he called me into the HR Office, me and him had 1 on 1 talk, just to let me know I was getting released, let go, he did not sound like he was angry or mad at me, he just told me it was all a Business Decision, to not take it personally, he even literally said I am leaving on great-terms, that I am more than welcome to reapply, and I even spoke to one of my other Bosses, I asked him if I could put Target down as a Reference on Job Applications and he said Yes.

I had perfect attendence at Target, I was never late once, was always on time, never called in sick, and i remember i only got 1 call request from them to take over someone's shift because they could not make it, and i gladly accepted it and worked that day, and I had a full availibilty schedule, available 24/7 and I still do, but since it was a Seasonal Temporary job it was quite pretty obvious that I worked less than 24 hours a week.

However, eventhough Target said I was more than welcome to reapply, i have reapplied at Target since my Target job ended on December 17th last year, and have been unemployed since then, but I have not gotten any new interview at the Target location I used to work at, but I did get 2 Target Interviews this year at different Target locations each time, and both times, Target took initiative to call me first, as in they called me first after i submitted the application to schedule an interview with me, so i got the impression that if they called me first, they must have been interested.

The 2 Target interviews i've had since i lost my Target job, 1 was in February of this year, and 1 last month in May, did not get hired each time.

The reason why it is very dissapointing for me is because I do not have much job experience for someone my age, very little work experience, and I have been applying at other places since Target released me, i've been applying for entry-level service jobs like Target, and other retail places, fast-food places, customer-service places, minimum-wage paying jobs, etc.

Since January of this year I've had 10 job interviews including those 2 Target interviews, and most recently last week I had 2 interviews, 1 at Walgreens, and 1 at a Movie Theater, but still no luck getting hired yet.

It's frustrating because it is an infamous Catch-22 regarding job experience, you need experience to get a job but you can't get experience if nobody will hire you, not give you a chance, because in life, literally nobody is born with experience, and even places like McDonald's, Grocery stores, you know, menial, part-time, minimum-wage paying entry-level jobs expect or want experience too nowadays.

People have even said to me and they have really frustrated, pissed me off by saying this to me "don't think that calling them would do any good.

Maybe it's just time to realize that working at Target is not meant for you and start applying at other places. Target is not required to give you a job or provide you with any reason why you've been let go"

Yes I obviously know that Target is not required to give me a job, but the part about giving me a reason as to why I was let go, the reason why I want to know is so I can improve my situation, learn from my mistakes, i want to know what i did specifically wrong in the past so i will not make the same mistake again in the future, i want to know if i was a bad employee when i was at Target, why can't the bosses, managers, supervisors give honest feedback when asked? or never remind the employees?

This is what someone else said "It's very fishy that a seasonal employee was let go before the Christmas rush was over. Seasonal employees are hired strictly for the black Friday and Christmas shopping rushes. Only a few of our seasonal employees weren't kept on and they were let go the second week of January. There might be more behind your release than you think and I would check before including that job on your application/resume. The short time frame can also be a red flag for employers."

Something else people have said to me is that maybe Target overhired at my location where i worked and thats why i was released early, and some people have told me that if Target says I am more than welcome to reapply, and use them as a reference, then there is nothing to worry about, but since i don't have much job experience, it's very hard for me to get a job when applying somewhere else too, so, what do you any of you have to say about this?

Has Target not been honest with me? What could be the actual cause behind my early released and being unable to get rehired? if they were eager to get rid of me why didn't they just fire me instead? Because it's not just Target, i'm struggling to get hired at other places too.

Last edited:
They haven't been honest with you. You were probably a bad employee.

Well I never had any issues with my co-workers, i got along with all of them, no issues with bosses at all either, and no complaints from customers, i don't get what could have made me a bad employee.

My store let quite a few people go before Christmas last year. Most were for "not meeting their standards". Some of that could have been their zoning abilities or just general ability. But it is possible that a few could have been because there was a need for more people because of the late notice on the midnight Black Friday opening.

My store let quite a few people go before Christmas last year. Most were for "not meeting their standards". Some of that could have been their zoning abilities or just general ability. But it is possible that a few could have been because there was a need for more people because of the late notice on the midnight Black Friday opening.

well Target was my first ever retail job, i did not have any retail experience prior to Target, although I did receive Training, i guess i should have needed more, but they never specifically told me i was not meeting their standards.

How come Target is not honest enough regarding their employees performances, does not give specific detailed feedback? Although Target told me it was all a business decision, but getting released on December 17th is quite early, and Target was my first ever cashier job too, but i was only back-up cashier in which i had to do cashier by responding to calls on the walkie-talkies, i was hired as sales floor, zoning aisles and doing go-backs but mostly zoning, i feel i did not receive enough training for doing cashier but zoning was easy for me, well i picked up that faster than cashier

At my store, we kept only 1 seasonal hire after Xmas. Due To hours & low sales. It sounds like job market Is soft in your area. Other options are to more experience or knowledge, is to volunteer. Also, ck with your state govt for a program called workforce, they can give you training, better resumes, & job searching help. They are part of family services usually.
Don't give up yet!

and across the board in my district, the stls were told to hire big for the early bf opening, and then let them go after a couple of weeks because we really didnt need them. the only people we kept were a couple of super stars.

At my store, we kept only 1 seasonal hire after Xmas. Due To hours & low sales. It sounds like job market Is soft in your area. Other options are to more experience or knowledge, is to volunteer. Also, ck with your state govt for a program called workforce, they can give you training, better resumes, & job searching help. They are part of family services usually.
Don't give up yet!

There is that infamous, unfair Catch-22 regarding job experience, you need experience to get a job but you can't get experience if nobody will hire you, and even places like McDonald's, Grocery stores, other Retail and Fast-Food places are like that as well too. Are there any Volunteer options that can give you work experience for a retail job like Target?

Yes, there are like good will or red cross. Go for it, it could lead to other things.

Last edited:
Yes, there are like good will or red cross. Go for it, it could lead to other things.

well yesterday i applied to Goodwill for a volunteer opportunity, it's weird that i did not have to do the usual paper form or phone number application for volunteering, when you mean lead to other things, you mean it can help me get an entry-level service job, minimum-wage paying job? because i'm comfortable and content with settling for minimum-wage

well yesterday i applied to Goodwill for a volunteer opportunity, it's weird that i did not have to do the usual paper form or phone number application for volunteering, when you mean lead to other things, you mean it can help me get an entry-level service job, minimum-wage paying job? because i'm comfortable and content with settling for minimum-wage

Volunteering works on many different levels.
It gives you experience that you can put on your resume, is an opportunity to network with people who do hire and gives back to the community.

I was always told that target can end a seasonal tms employment anytime for pretty much any reason during the seasonal period. if its a regular tm on a 90 day probation we have to have several coachings and more than 30 days.

Volunteering works on many different levels.
It gives you experience that you can put on your resume, is an opportunity to network with people who do hire and gives back to the community.

so i take it that the experience that comes from volunteering is transferable to retail, customer-service jobs? because as long as it helps me get a job, than i will do it, i could care less about giving back to the community, all i care about is getting a job, getting a paycheck.

Yes it can. Do a great job & get notice. Opps show up in weird places

well soon i will be beginning volunteer work at Good-Will, i already applied, it will be retail volunteer, yes volunteering does not pay you but when you can't fight or change the system, you have no choice but to adapt to it, join it.

well soon i will be beginning volunteer work at Good-Will, i already applied, it will be retail volunteer, yes volunteering does not pay you but when you can't fight or change the system, you have no choice but to adapt to it, join it.

Knock them flat! They may see what you can really do! Be the I can get done person. Get commercial drivers license too. Big opps, there too. Having multi abilities is a key to further opps.

Knock them flat! They may see what you can really do! Be the I can get done person. Get commercial drivers license too. Big opps, there too. Having multi abilities is a key to further opps.

yeah, i just want to have a life again, i miss having a job, the fact i'm unemployed makes me feel like i have no life, since having a job forces you to be social, because you have your co-workers, customers, etc.

Learn from it. Let us know how you do. There are services out there that you as a taxpayer you pay for That can help you. Ck your govt family services for job opps. I hope this helps.

Learn from it. Let us know how you do. There are services out there that you as a taxpayer you pay for That can help you. Ck your govt family services for job opps. I hope this helps.

also, are employers around the holidays, are they more desperate to hire people, do they lower their hiring-standards, qualifications, more likely to settle on someone instead of during the normal part of the year? Because the fact i've had 2 Target interviews since my last Target job ended at different Target locations, 1 in February, and 1 in May, got rejected both times, makes me wonder.

So i guess employers, or particularly Target, is not as picky around the Holidays than it is during the normal time of the year? Because I don't get why i got hired for Target last Fall, for my seasonal, short-term temporary job, but not get hired at the 2 other Target locations I had interviews at this year, that is what angers me more.

Don't listen to these people. It could just be that they had overstaffing and needed to make immediate reductions. We've turned down great seasonal employees from regular positions, so it doesn't necessarily mean you were a problem employee. While it is odd that you were let go before Christmas, it does happen, especially depending on how early you were hired on.

At my store it's pretty normal to be let go before Christmas, we are busy for Thanksgiving then it just tapers off afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back