Should I be worried about my shot at a TL role?

My GM ETL and one of my GMTL's have more or less been serving as mentors to me and I've been given a plethora of projects. I'm the new seasonal DBO and I've been put in charge of all things seasonal, including the backroom purge and condensing. They've also had me running all over the store doing various things in different departments, like building furnitute displays, setting POGS by myself, pushing transition pallets, backroom audits, and a whole bunch of other things.
That’s just the beginning of your development. They aren’t going to promote you until they task you with leading others and you succeed at it. You aren’t ready. It’s been 2 months. It could take a year to get you ready for interviews. Be patient.

My GM ETL and one of my GMTL's have more or less been serving as mentors to me and I've been given a plethora of projects. I'm the new seasonal DBO and I've been put in charge of all things seasonal, including the backroom purge and condensing. They've also had me running all over the store doing various things in different departments, like building furnitute displays, setting POGS by myself, pushing transition pallets, backroom audits, and a whole bunch of other things.
What you’re doing IS the job description of a dbo. You aren’t doing anything next level to prepare you for promotion.

Again, I don’t see what I need to do to be more ready.

The previously mentioned 19 year old child was doing the same things as me in terms of developmental tasks and they never really did anything outstanding in terms of leading GM.
You’re not doing developmental tasks. You’re doing dbo work.

That’s just the beginning of your development. They aren’t going to promote you until they task you with leading others and you succeed at it. You aren’t ready. It’s been 2 months. It could take a year to get you ready for interviews. Be patient.
2 months is roughly the same amount of time that the previously mentioned 19 year old child was in development before she was promoted. I know this because she told me this herself.

2 months is roughly the same amount of time that the previously mentioned 19 year old child was in development before she was promoted. I know this because she told me this herself.
So???? You’re not the same person with the same experiences, skills, personality, etc etc.
if you truly want to promote quickly you NEED supervisory experience. You need to take initiative and ask the SD for opportunities to lead. That may mean moving to nights to supervise the closers. It may mean running a team in a transition.
it doesn’t matter what the other gal did. It’s about what you’re doing. And doing dbo tasks isn’t proving you’re ready for tl.

I’m not cracking it up to be some amazing job that’s going to change my life. I know all about the tough calls, accountability, and babysitting that goes into it. I think it’s just time that an actual Target veteran steps up and takes charge with some of the issues on the sales floor.

My store has a massive issue with TM’s who refuse to offer any type of backup or support to other parts of the store. They all just stay in their little areas, but they can’t be bothered to back up cashier, help with OPU’s, or even just log into the phones on the Zebra. That’s a serious problem that’s been enabled for far too long at my store and it’s at the top of the list in terms of changes that I’m going to make happen.

Ok how would you do it? It's great when your peers will listen to you. Many just won't. If you have an idea on how to get them to help, then it might be best to present it to your TL. Sometimes peer coaching can backfire and get you labeled as an asshole.

So???? You’re not the same person with the same experiences, skills, personality, etc etc.
if you truly want to promote quickly you NEED supervisory experience. You need to take initiative and ask the SD for opportunities to lead. That may mean moving to nights to supervise the closers. It may mean running a team in a transition.
it doesn’t matter what the other gal did. It’s about what you’re doing. And doing dbo tasks isn’t proving you’re ready for tl.
But the 19 year old didn’t do any of that leading stuff. Again, she told me herself that she basically just got her workload increased like mine is now and that was that.

So either my store just has a really different way of developing TMs or there’s something fishy going on with the 19 year old’s promotion.

I think it’s now clear that we’re dealing with a pretty blatant case of ASANTS here.

My store has never really valued TL’s as people who are actually good at leading a group of people. They just value TL’s as someone who’s willing to just blindly do what they’re told and occasionally get on the walkie to ask their subordinates to back up cashier.

I can confidently say that some of my TL’s have horrible attitudes/work ethic and don’t do any leading of any sorts. Our Market TL is just a bitter old racist who spends most of his time outside smoking, our Style leader is constantly lashing out at her TM’s because of her failing marriage, and like I’ve already established, one of our newer GM leaders is just a kid.

@CartoonPenguin Honestly, you ASKED for advice here and you were given all the correct advice and yet you are still being defensive and challenging all the information you’re given.. You’re also worried about why someone who happens to be 19 years old got promoted- age and title do NOT coincide.. You also are belitting the rest of your leadership team.. No team leader would want you as a peer if that’s the case.

^^^ if the story on you throwing the mydevice is true then don’t expect shit respectfully because there are individuals more respectful than that that are way more capable of leading teams😂
Goodbye

Last edited:
You also are belitting the rest of your leadership team..
I’m not belittling them, I’m just stating facts.

The market leader once used a slur against one of our Indian TMs. The style leader threw her walkie at one of the Style TMs. 19 years old is still just a kid.

The biggest thing is you need to show them that you are mature and responsible enough to be in a management position. You can't compare yourself to your peers and ask yourself, "why did this person get promoted even though they're 19 and haven't been here that long" you don't know what experience they may have. It might seem unfair but sometimes things don't fall into your lap that easily. If you really want this role, you need to build a good relationship with the higher ups, be vocal but not pushy, go above and beyond and always take the initiative. Throwing a tantrum because you didn't get something you felt you deserve will make them think you are not mature enough to handle a team lead role. Being a team lead comes with a lot of responsibility and workload and they need to make sure you will be able to handle it and maintain a professional and good relationship with your team. Be patient and continue doing your job while being vocal about your interest.

Also I was 19 when I got promoted with zero supervisory experience and I've gotten DEO's on all of my reviews. Just because you're young doesn't mean you can't be in management.
19 years old is still just a kid. You’re not convincing me otherwise.

The biggest thing is you need to show them that you are mature and responsible enough to be in a management position. You can't compare yourself to your peers and ask yourself, "why did this person get promoted even though they're 19 and haven't been here that long" you don't know what experience they may have. It might seem unfair but sometimes things don't fall into your lap that easily. If you really want this role, you need to build a good relationship with the higher ups, be vocal but not pushy, go above and beyond and always take the initiative. Throwing a tantrum because you didn't get something you felt you deserve will make them think you are not mature enough to handle a team lead role. Being a team lead comes with a lot of responsibility and workload and they need to make sure you will be able to handle it and maintain a professional and good relationship with your team. Be patient and continue doing your job while being vocal about your interest.
AND have a positive attitude.

Age doesn’t make a leader.
She's not even a fucking leader, though. She does the bare minimum of getting on the walkie and just bossing people around, but she doesn't have any qualities that make me think "Yeah, that's someone who I'd follow into battle." None of the leaders at my store have that. Like I already said, my SD only values TLs as people who are good at sucking up and blindly following orders.

This is the thread that keeps on giving. LMAO. Being a leader in retail isn't about getting people to follow you into battle. Even if it were (again it isn't), I wouldn't follow someone who throws tantrums when they don't get their way RIGHT THIS SECOND simply because they think they are owed something (they aren't).

OP, you seem to have nothing but negative things to say about your store, your SD, and your store's TLs. Why the hell would you want to be a leader at that store? If the SD really just wants someone who will blindly follow orders (like say into battle... :rolleyes: ), then wouldn't that be expected of you in a leadership role? Sounds awful for someone like you, who is obviously cut from a different, finer cloth.

You are so busy focusing on what you think you deserve that you're missing your opportunities to actually show leadership skills. If you're the seasonal DBO, then no doubt you have a lot of TMs helping in the department right now. What are you do to make them better TMs? Are you working with the seasonals to teach them how to be independent if they are kept on and get their own area or are you just focusing on what work you can get done?

19 years old is still just a kid. You’re not convincing me
She's not even a fucking leader, though. She does the bare minimum of getting on the walkie and just bossing people around, but she doesn't have any qualities that make me think "Yeah, that's someone who I'd follow into battle." None of the leaders at my store have that. Like I already said, my SD only values TLs as people who are good at sucking up and blindly following orders.
If you really want to be a team lead. Maybe try sucking up blindly following orders. It appears nothing else your doing is getting you recognized. No matter weather it’s true or not you shouldn’t be talking about team leads like that especially if you want to be one. You came here asking for advice and you’ve been given some great advice so, why don’t you take it or move on.

Our job is to not lead people into battle. I just had a 20 year old promote. He’s wonderful. Makes good choices, helps his peers without being a sick about it, makes eye contact and can chat with other leaders, always wants to help his peers and other teams. That’s the kind of leader I want. He has never led a team, but I’m confident that he can prioritize and decide who should do what and when. He’s done that with his peers for a year.

When I look for direct reports, I don’t look for experience or working hard. Everyone works hard in their own mind. Not everyone works hard on the right things. I have a TM that wants to promote that doesn’t understand yet that it’s not about working hard, it’s doing the right things at the right time. I have another that won’t promote until they can stop seeing every redirect or conversation as a direct attack on whether they are a good employee. They’re all good employees. Not all of them will succeed, and of the four I have in development, three of them would absolutely fail in the store I sent the 20 year old into, but do well in my store.

If your disdain for your future peers shows in your store, it will be hard for you to promote. These are the people you’re going to be working with every day. The people that are going to help you when someone calls off, the people that you will be expected to help.
It’s an employee’s market right now. Are you sure this is even the right role for you? It doesn’t sound like you even like your store.

19 years old is still just a kid. You’re not convincing me otherwise.
And again, you asked for advice and you are letting your emotions get in the way of the factual information you are being given. Some of my peers have done questionable things as well but I know they are in their roles for one reason or another. I am the youngest TL in my store and I have one of the more complicated roles. I’ve been retail managing since i was 19 and i’ve dealt with people like you that got shit to say about young leaders. Doesn’t matter what you think because myself and that 19 year old leader in your store were given interviews and passed on for a reason. I would absolutely NEVER be on board with the promotion of someone who feels the way you do about your potential peers

You’re not helping your case here.

794CE2D7-EB04-496C-94B6-05B8A02BE628.jpeg

Audie Leon Murphy (20 June 1925 – 28 May 1971) was an American soldier, actor, songwriter, and rancher. He was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II. He received every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism. Murphy received the Medal of Honor for valor that he demonstrated at the age of 19 for single-handedly holding off a company of German soldiers for an hour at the Colmar Pocket in France in January 1945, then leading a successful counterattack while wounded and out of ammunition.

While we’re on the subjects of 19 year old leaders and people following them into battle, this is what a 19 year old can do. Don’t sell them short.

And again, you asked for advice and you are letting your emotions get in the way of the factual information you are being given. Some of my peers have done questionable things as well but I know they are in their roles for one reason or another. I am the youngest TL in my store and I have one of the more complicated roles. I’ve been retail managing since i was 19 and i’ve dealt with people like you that got shit to say about young leaders. Doesn’t matter what you think because myself and that 19 year old leader in your store were given interviews and passed on for a reason. I would absolutely NEVER be on board with the promotion of someone who feels the way you do about your potential peers
To be fair, OP may not let their feelings be known in their store. Sometimes people here forget that this site is used to vent and say thing that you wouldn't or couldn't say "in public", so to speak.

I haven't been overly impressed with most of the leadership I've dealt with at my store in the years that I have been here. I see a lot of TMs getting away with stuff that I find unacceptable and would not tolerate as a leader. However, I would never become management again, it is way too stressful and I don't have the desire to deal with all the crap that comes with a leadership role.

Back