Should I be worried about my shot at a TL role?

Well you need to think about why your ETL would promote you when you already don’t get along with or respect one of your future peers. What are you bringing to the table that offsets hours of drama on a weekly basis? Because as a leader there isn’t anything you could bring to the table that makes up for drama.
You need to understand where I’m coming from with this 19 year old, though.

When I was 19, I had been with the company for a year and I approached my old logistics ETL about leadership. She denied me on the spot for development and told me that I was too young and didn’t have enough seniority.

So when I’m told one day that 19 years old and a year of experience isn’t enough to be promoted, but then another day I see a 19 year old being promoted after only being with the company for 6-7 months, that’s undeniably going to make me feel confused and frustrated about the lack of consistency with who the company decides is right to promote. Now I just look at this 19 year old and see a reminder of what could’ve been for me.

What exactly do you mean by this part?
You said you didnt do anything other then transition work. Did you ask help lead. There should be plano audits done after each set, making sure all signing was completed, push was done, whatever. The best way to build a relationship with your leadership team is to ask for feedback consistantly. Did you talk to your etl or the gmtl that was there overnight about what more you could of done to help. They are not going to do it for you we are all way to busy.

When I was 19, I had been with the company for a year and I approached my old logistics ETL about leadership. She denied me on the spot for development and told me that I was too young and didn’t have enough seniority.

So when I’m told one day that 19 years old and a year of experience isn’t enough to be promoted, but then another day I see a 19 year old being promoted after only being with the company for 6-7 months, that’s undeniably going to make me feel confused and frustrated about the lack of consistency with who the company decides is right to promote. Now I just look at this 19 year old and see a reminder of what could’ve been for me.
First off, stop. It does not matter what made them choose the 19 year old, even if it was only because she is the daughter of brian cornell, it does not matter. She might of been a lead at another company or had leadership experiance, she might just be extremely personable, or she could of got lucky. Secondly, because she might be ready at 19 and you weren't according to them doesnt matter. Maybe they didnt like you for whatever reason. Lastly that was 7 years ago or 6 i guess. Spot is a very different company from then.
The only thing that matters is how you get the promotion or a better job somewhere else. Look at what you need to do to grow and stop worrying about what others are doing or think. There are plenty of bad leaders at spot and everywhere else for many reasons and letting them judge you does no good.

First off, stop. It does not matter what made them choose the 19 year old, even if it was only because she is the daughter of brian cornell, it does not matter. She might of been a lead at another company or had leadership experiance, she might just be extremely personable, or she could of got lucky. Secondly, because she might be ready at 19 and you weren't according to them doesnt matter. Maybe they didnt like you for whatever reason. Lastly that was 7 years ago or 6 i guess. Spot is a very different company from then.
The only thing that matters is how you get the promotion or a better job somewhere else. Look at what you need to do to grow and stop worrying about what others are doing or think. There are plenty of bad leaders at spot and everywhere else for many reasons and letting them judge you does no good.
I honestly don’t see how I’m going to get along with the 19 year old though. Me and her were giving each other the cold shoulder all day yesterday.

After my talk with my ETL, the 19 year old was going around the sales floor and taking orders from GM TM’s since she was buying everyone drinks from Starbucks. I was pushing toys with two other TM’s and she took their orders, but she very blatantly ignored me and didn’t take my order. I get the feeling that the tone has now been set for our workplace relationship now.

I honestly don’t see how I’m going to get along with the 19 year old though. Me and her were giving each other the cold shoulder all day yesterday.

After my talk with my ETL, the 19 year old was going around the sales floor and taking orders from GM TM’s since she was buying everyone drinks from Starbucks. I was pushing toys with two other TM’s and she took their orders, but she very blatantly ignored me and didn’t take my order. I get the feeling that the tone has now been set for our workplace relationship now.
No offense but you do seem difficult to work with. If you are serious about being promoted in your store or in target mend that bridge. If your not going to put forth the effort dont bother applying for other tl jobs. That is also unprofessional of them but in my store leaders will 100% have each others backs over tms so imo its best for you to bite the bullet and start the conversation. She obviously did something right to get the promotion so maybe she could help you understand why.

No offense but you do seem difficult to work with. If you are serious about being promoted in your store or in target mend that bridge. If your not going to put forth the effort dont bother applying for other tl jobs. That is also unprofessional of them but in my store leaders will 100% have each others backs over tms so imo its best for you to bite the bullet and start the conversation. She obviously did something right to get the promotion so maybe she could help you understand why.
So I'm on my lunch break right now and one of my GM leaders just told me that once I'm off break, her and the rest of the GM leaders are going into a status meeting and that I'm going to be put in charge as a designated GM leader to listen out for calls on the walkie for anything GM related. I'm honestly really nervous and I could really use some advice on how to handle this. My lunch ends in 28 minutes, so some input ASAP would be nice.

So I'm on my lunch break right now and one of my GM leaders just told me that once I'm off break, her and the rest of the GM leaders are going into a status meeting and that I'm going to be put in charge as a designated GM leader to listen out for calls on the walkie for anything GM related. I'm honestly really nervous and I could really use some advice on how to handle this. My lunch ends in 28 minutes, so some input ASAP would be nice.
Just do your best. If I were you I'd walk the floor and just get an idea of what's going on and where everyone is with any projects or truck push for the day. When they get out of the status you should go and follow up with the leader who put you in charge and let them know where things stand and what you observed. Also ask for feedback on how you handled any issues if you had anything you had to deal with.

Really need to get over the whole “19 year old” thing. It’s done, over, move on. Life isn’t always fair. Tough shit. It just keeps coming back to the 19 year old. Never going to go anywhere if you can’t get over that.
I’m thinking that I should at least offer an apology to my ETL. My attitude today was better and me and her seemed to be getting along just fine, but I’ve been having this nagging feeling in the back of my head telling me that I need to actually request a private conversation and formally apologize for my attitude and behavior these past few days.

Sorry i was asleep as im working overnights. Just don't let the building burn to the ground and you should be fine. Make sure people are answering phones and working.

Well, I've decided that I'm at least going to tell my ETL that I'm not longer interested in leadership. Might as well start looking for a new company to work for while I'm at it.
Good grief. Don’t quit after one opportunity wasn’t given to you. Ask for developmental opportunities. You will never just be handed a promotion. Work for it.

Man. I would love to help you. I really would. But you come across as so arrogant and self-entitled that it feels like anything that's said goes in one ear and out the other.

From the moment I said to my direct leaders I want to be a level 5 what do I need to do, it took me over 3 years. And in the DC until recently we didn't have Lead roles so it was a pretty big jump. I had to wade through so much garbage to get there. Deal with it.

I watched us hire people younger than me, less qualified than me. If you somehow can't get over the fact that someone younger than you has a position of authority over you, you're not going to make it anywhere. Deal with it. I have tons of people I've worked with and for who I hated. Be professional and do your job to the best of your ability.

I put myself in front of every leader I could find and let them know what I wanted to do and asked them what they thought I needed to do to get there. If it was something that would put me in their sights I would do it. I figured out who the movers and the shakers were and got on their best side. Because unfortunately promotions aren't just ability related they're politics. And it got to the point that the whole senior exec team knew who I was and what I wanted. You need them to picture you in the role. So that when the next TL role comes up they say "Man that dude CartoonPenguin would be perfect for this."

This has been said already 1000 times in this thread and you seem to just flat out ignore it. So I'm going to type it in bold capital letters.

GO TALK TO YOUR STORE DIRECTOR.

That's the person you need to impress and ultimately decides your fate. If he or she doesn't give the green light, guess what you're not going anywhere doesn't matter how many ETLs say you're good to go. I met with my director multiple times as a team member.

Send them a message, ask for time when you're in for a developmental status and talk about what you want to do and why you want to do it. Doesn't even need to be in the office, you guys can walk the floor. If you can't be bothered to take that little bit of initiative you don't want the job.

Last edited:

AGAIN, and I know some of yall seen my previous comments but @CartoonPenguin you are letting your emotions get in the way of your actual success in getting your desired TL position.. Again, and idk how many of us have to tell you to listen to the advice that YOU SO DESPERATELY WANT… STOP worrying about other people! That 19 year old is not you and you being bitter about it especially up front to executive leadership is just down right idiotic. Target is a corporation - if you don’t play the game you lose. Be humble and be supportive of all your leaders if you want to succeed… even if they are god awful because they have all the say in your growth. ^^100 times it’s been said up there - promotion is POLITICAL- you may not agree but that doesn’t matter in politics

P.S. Don’t know why i even typed this out because you won’t listen anyways 😡😤🤦🏻

Last edited:
Back