Archived Should I quit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been an ETL with Target for 3 years now, my experience has not been great. My STL made my life a nightmare, but I have been able to perform my core roles and my review reflected that. I have just been so unhappy and developed anxiety because of my experiences with Target went out on medical leave, because work was starting to affect my health.... during my time out I got an offer from another retailer for the same job, except they are offering me 12k more than I am making with Target, not including bonus. I am concerned that once I go back to Target they will try to find reasons to get rid of me, but I also am nervous about starting over with a new company. Is 12k really enough to leave when I have some tenure with Target? Plus, this retailer is struggling, closing stores, similar to Target but i worry with me being new to the company i would be axed first if something happened. Curious to know your thoughts? Any insight is appreciated :)

I would take the plunge. Work life balance is very important to me, and I just couldn't work someplace that filled me with anxiety (been there). The fact that they pay 12k more sounds even more enticing. Being laid off from a company at your level within a few years seems very unlikely. And even so, I'm sure it can't be too difficult finding work in this line of business somewhere else.

We had an etl who went through this. She was the etl/log...she was constantly being ridden by the stl for the truck not being pushed and backstocked. Guess what? She wasn't even getting all the hours that the log process was entitled to. She would go the stl( I ever heard her with my own two ears) and ask for more hours ...he would say no...you have enough make it work. He ( stl) talked crap about her behind her back and even to other tms ( yes tms not etls), She finally got to the point she was so stressed she was out of work for two weeks with health related issues...she knew they were trying to get rid of her. Hell, we all knew they were trying to get rid of her...the sad thing is they drove the log process into the ground to do it . To make a long story , a lil shorter...she found a better job and left . The week after she left the push was done...every truck day and the backroom was clean every truck day. Why? because all of the sudden they had hours ( go figure). My advice would be to think it through and make the choice that's right for you...but I would think walking away from Spot would be a smart move . No need to be stressed out etc if something better is offered to you

Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...

;)

@YourFavETL , as someone who has anxiety issues, I say yes! Quitting Target is the best treatment I have taken for anxiety. It has only been 3 weeks, and my friends and family already see a huge change in me. I am carefree and full of smiles. I had an anxiety attack daily, sometimes more than once, my last few months at Target. I haven't had one, since I left. I hope you do what is right for you.

And yes, starting fresh with a new company is scary indeed. But, life is all about taking risks. Some really do pay off, but you will never know if you don't try. Good luck! Keep us posted. ;)

3yrs isn't enough to hang on for. Hopefully you can find more balance at the new place.

Thank you all for your advice. I am definitely considering taking the plunge. I don't want to bash Target, but the politics are unfair and inescapable and while I'm sure there are politics everywhere, I'm sure it's less high school. My main concern is my health and that is my priority at this point. I honestly am ready to get the hell up out of Target and go as far away as I possibly can. I will definitely keep you guys posted :)

Last edited:
Thank you all for your advice. I am definitely considering taking the plunge. I don't want to bash Target, but the politics are unfair and inescapable and while I'm sure there are politics everywhere, I'm sure it's less high school. My main concern is my health and that is my priority at this point. I honesty am ready to get the hell up out of Target and go as far away as I possibly can. I will definitely keep you guys posted :)
I would go for the new job. Your life balance is more important than spot.
In case you have not read this thread:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/before-you-sign-your-life-away.171/
A forum favorite.

Look lol we are and were etls and we agree it's bullshit! Target treats us like shit and it is very stressful. I had a peer who experienced the same thing with the hours for log. She went on Loa another person came who my stl liked and all of sudden the trucks were clean lol. It is best to quit with dignity and walk out with honor than to constantly go on performance leaves or be stressed because the culture is so high schoolish and shitty. You have done no wrong and at the end real people will respect your decision. I have been done for about a week and yeah you will feel some type of way but you will be relieved once you do the simple joys of things you once did. Like eating without rushing or actually enjoying a break lol or maybe those things called relationships. Which I never seen any of my peers have great ones and my own boss neither. Because their husbands were sick of targets bs. Be happy lol

Sometimes it's better to keep the devil you have versus the devil you don't know. Your experience with Target could be isolated to a single store or leadership team. The new company can be great or again, stuck with a bad leadership team. Maybe the anxiety is retail itself. I can easily tell you Target blows and any company would be better but I'm one of the few that hates retail jobs. My family is growing and some are getting to the age where I don't want to be at work missing their events. I'm not sure any retail job (in store management) offers a better work life balance. And business itself can be stressful. All big box companies fear the idea of becoming irrelevant so they share that stress with their leadership teams. If the new opportunity seems more promising and less stressful, take it. If your uncertain, I would consider changing career fields.

Sometimes it's better to keep the devil you have versus the devil you don't know. Your experience with Target could be isolated to a single store or leadership team. The new company can be great or again, stuck with a bad leadership team. Maybe the anxiety is retail itself. I can easily tell you Target blows and any company would be better but I'm one of the few that hates retail jobs. My family is growing and some are getting to the age where I don't want to be at work missing their events. I'm not sure any retail job (in store management) offers a better work life balance. And business itself can be stressful. All big box companies fear the idea of becoming irrelevant so they share that stress with their leadership teams. If the new opportunity seems more promising and less stressful, take it. If your uncertain, I would consider changing career fields.

hey! Thank you so much for your advice. I would be going to another retailer, however I would be the HR manager, this company does not require HR to do LOD shifts, where in my current store I'm currently doing 3 to 4 a week. I tried to request a transfer from my store, but it was not granted because we have so many ETL's sitting on the bench so there is no room. I really do want to stay in Human Resources, I just don't like the crazy hours that Target requires because like you, I have a family, and my spouse understands, but my daughter is always telling me that she thinks I'm gone too much. Kids are only little for a short time, and before I know it, she won't have time for me anymore and I want to be there as much as possible. This company seems to provide better work-life balance with the hours that I would be required to work there vs Target. For me, the anxiety was triggered from being forced to do something that I was not comfortable with by my STL, I won't go into detail about it or people may be able to figure out who I am.

Last edited:
I've been an ETL with Target for 3 years now, my experience has not been great. My STL made my life a nightmare, but I have been able to perform my core roles and my review reflected that. I have just been so unhappy and developed anxiety because of my experiences with Target went out on medical leave, because work was starting to affect my health.... during my time out I got an offer from another retailer for the same job, except they are offering me 12k more than I am making with Target, not including bonus. I am concerned that once I go back to Target they will try to find reasons to get rid of me, but I also am nervous about starting over with a new company. Is 12k really enough to leave when I have some tenure with Target? Plus, this retailer is struggling, closing stores, similar to Target but i worry with me being new to the company i would be axed first if something happened. Curious to know your thoughts? Any insight is appreciated :)

Ultimately, only you can decide if the move is a good one or not. As a relatively new ETL, I assume you have a college degree? What I would recommend is this.

If spot truly stresses you out, take this new job. Go on the offensive for finding a new job. Can you/do you want to work in your field? Consider the reasons why working for Target stresses you out, for the most part, many retailers are similar with stressors. Moving jobs to a new retailer, may not solve your problem. You can always use this offer as a stepping stone while you search for a job that better fits what you would like to do.

I was with spot for 12 years before I had enough and left. Even then, it took a very persuasive recruiter, 3 DM's, and an RVP of the new company to convince me I wasn't walking into more of the same, and I can say that while I was very apprehensive at first, it has turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made in my life. Do your research, and keep looking upward. But don't be afraid to take a leap if you think it will better your situation. But don't go leaping without doing some research either, if you catch my drift.

Best of luck to you.

@YourFavETL - sounds like the new opportunity is better. If you can't get out of the current store then moving to a different company is a logical choice. Do it for your self, your spouse, and for your daughter. Hopefully the weight will be lifted and you can breathe again. Leave Target in the past and look forward to a better work life balance. Best of luck! I know you'll do well.

@60SecondsRemaining - I know an ETL who left for a higher position at Blockbuster. Guess he didn't see the cliff up ahead. Now he went back to Target and has been a Sr.TL for 4 years. They keep dangling that ETL carrot. Hopefully no one is leaving Target for RadioShack or Bestbuy.

It is positive experiences as well though but as @Mhugh220 said it could be the same or different somewhere else. But what I can say it seems to be a recurring thing agmongst the company, which is permeated in the culture.

I would go for it! That 12k is an extra 1000 a month, plus you'd have a fresh start at a new company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back