Archived Should I stay or should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planosss

User friendly.
after being hired seasonal , I've been offered a position to stay. It's in the dept I like. I want target as a career. I've been hearing that Plano's days at target are numbered.... and hours will never be consistent. should I stay at this potential dead end job or move for a full time job elsewhere? I like target I've learned a lot , I've made great connections with TM's , TL's, ETL's . They all give me a sense that I should stick around and good things might happen. But, I don't have a college degree and from what I have read on here, it's next to impossible to move up the ladder without a degree. Plus with target cutting many TL positions and getting rid of positions across the board, the writing seems to be on the wall.
So, do I continue to pour my heart and soul in to target in hopes that maybe one day I can achieve success and move up the ladder?

Or should I look else where. Somewhere, where hard work and dedication just might be appreciated ?

In Retail period, it's a difficult business in general. Target has it's highs and lows, as with most retailers out there. You have to do what's best and feels right for you and your family. You will hear from many others on here "run for the hills, Get out while you can." Others might say "Best company I worked for, It's great, you should stay" I've been with Spot, many years now and I can share BOTH sides. First you should give it your all and try to move up. If you still feel strongly about Spot this time next year, stay. If you become Jaded (as some have) and opportunities arise elsewhere, leave and don't look back. Good luck

I don't believe that Target is cutting TL positions however is cutting out many ETL positions such as HR, AP.

Target reduced TLs such as Consumables, Food Ave and starbucks into one, I don't know how big that is but I guess you can call that cutting out.

However, I saw the starbucks TL get promoted with no college degree after maybe 4-5 months.
It's luck for an opening is what's you need after you proved your worth.

I am on a different boat, pursuing my 4 year business degree. I have felt the same way you have, unappreciated by some leaders. I just got an offer from costco as a company that appreciates "employees more, but I plan on sticking with target.

Just makes a pro and cons list and see what works better for you. That's what I did and once I realized all the pros vs cons Target is the better way for me.

Reactions: Him
You are right,Target has its highs and lows and I have experienced both?There has been time that it has been amazing although I never had any time for "the best company ever " bs.We are going through massive changes at this time and we really need a psychiatrist in the building for th benefit of the tms.I would never recommend to any friend to try to make a career at Target and that is not sour grapes.I have been around for a long time and like what I do and the people I work with but unfortunately there is little logic in trying to create a career path at Target unless you are recruited further up the ladder.

I don't believe that Target is cutting TL positions however is cutting out many ETL positions such as HR, AP.

Indirectly they are cutting team leads. They are raising the numbers to hit specific org charts.

My first store was an org chart 5. They raised the number of sales you have to have to be a 5 do we dropped down to a 4. From 17 team leads to 13.

Anytime someone quit they would reshuffle rather than hire a new team lead. Our price accuracy demoted and our Plano became a pptl

Interesting.... last few leaders have all been: internal Consumables promotion, internal electronics TL promotion(shifted over from hardlines) internal starbucks promotion, internal SR TL promotion & hardlines internal promotion (as an additional TL)

Interesting.... last few leaders have all been: internal Consumables promotion, internal electronics TL promotion(shifted over from hardlines) internal starbucks promotion, internal SR TL promotion & hardlines internal promotion (as an additional TL)

That's because you haven't lost the position. As they raise the numbers for higher head counts more stores will lose positions. So even if one store keeps the same number of team leads very few stores are getting additional team leads. Most are either keeping the same number or losing them.

Reactions: Him
lol if you feel appreciated staying aboard a sinking ship, by all means please do. Most have already made the jump elsewhere. Loyalty and appreciation will only get you to the unemployment line, either fully or with part-time hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back