Archived Should you negotiate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pk6

I'm in my final rounds of interviews with Target for an ETL- Log position. Should I try to negotiate a higher salary if I get offered a position?

Yes.

I have never, not ever, ever, ever heard of someone being declined a positioned offered to them because they tried to get more money. What's the worst that happens? You ask for 10% more, they say no. You ask for 5% more, they say no. You ask for $1 more, they say no. You still have the job.

They aren't going to hold this against you down the road, it's dumb NOT to ask for more. Heck, I got another buck as a TL, just b/c I asked for it... wish I'd of asked for more.

Do you have a degree relating to logistics? Supply chain management, etc? Do you have prior retail/logistics experience? If so, try.

The pay scales go in grades from 9 to 15 (I think) for exempt team members at the ETL level. I am a logistics ETL and if you are offered a position you will offered the starting salary for whatever pay grade they feel you are most suited for. The pay grades skip a number, if you start at 9 you have to go to a few rounds of interviews for pay grade 11, then again for 13, etc. Most ETL's start at 9 or 11 based on experience. Inside the pay grades there is some room for a raise. Say you are a pay grade 11 but don't perform well enough to jump up a whole pay grade. You can still get your annual raise based on a percentage of your base salary. It's confusing but it's pretty well mapped out in the HR world.

So, to answer your question I would be prepared for them to expect you to start at the base salary for whatever pay grade you are brought on at. I would think it would be highly unlikely that you could negotiate your way into a higher pay grade because the difference is fairly substantial. But if you can talk your way into a higher pay grade before working a single day in the store you shouldn't be looking at an ETL position anyway! You should be going right to your own district!!! ;)

Best of luck!

While I completely agree with the idea of negotiating for the best possible salary, I also have to warn against pushing for too high of salary, I have definitely had experiences and known other people who also have experienced asking for too much money and been turned down based on the simple reason. There will be people on here who can tell you what the "top pay bracket" is for the position you are going for, perhaps they can give you an idea of what wage you should seek. I've definitely heard 50k on here as a base salary for some ETL positions.
I'm in my final rounds of interviews with Target for an ETL- Log position. Should I try to negotiate a higher salary if I get offered a position?

You could have gotten 3 $ more if you had 5 or more years of experience...
Yes.

I have never, not ever, ever, ever heard of someone being declined a positioned offered to them because they tried to get more money. What's the worst that happens? You ask for 10% more, they say no. You ask for 5% more, they say no. You ask for $1 more, they say no. You still have the job.

They aren't going to hold this against you down the road, it's dumb NOT to ask for more. Heck, I got another buck as a TL, just b/c I asked for it... wish I'd of asked for more.

Paygrades are from PG03 to PG17, then they jump to a different class for ETLs and above based on years and areas worked in. I just got a PG17 position. I could have negotiated for a higher pay, but they ended up offering more than I initially asked for in the first interview, so who am I to make a fuss? Still though, it is always worth it to ask, only good things can come from it.

i know when my boyfriend got promoted to TL he was able to negotiate his pay up two dollars ... with no prior experience

yes, it is always good to try to get a better salary than they offer, but I do have to say that sometimes, in some fields, it is a bad thing to ask more than the max of the pay range. Unfortunately due to how corporate america works, no one is allowed to know what they pay grade max is except confidentially trained people in the HR field.
Paygrades are from PG03 to PG17, then they jump to a different class for ETLs and above based on years and areas worked in. I just got a PG17 position. I could have negotiated for a higher pay, but they ended up offering more than I initially asked for in the first interview, so who am I to make a fuss? Still though, it is always worth it to ask, only good things can come from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back