Archived Signing job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone notice in the April addendum where it talks about the Mothers Day FOS it talks about the "General Merchandising Expert"? I take that to mean the new title for what signing has evolved into?
By the by does anyone know what the difference is between a gm, a dbo, and an expert?

I mean, am I supposed to check this myself? The addendum I mean. I would check the monthly signing update. But I guess I won't be checking it now.

my store has been full swing on modernization for a while and my tl (or former tl, i guess? since she's not plano anymore but she's still in charge of the larger sets idek man) has told me as far as she knows i'm still going to be doing the same thing i've been doing since i first came to target, which is signing. it's so aggravating not knowing where i'm going to end up especially since it seems like everyone else in the store has already settled into their owned areas.

my store has been full swing on modernization for a while and my tl (or former tl, i guess? since she's not plano anymore but she's still in charge of the larger sets idek man) has told me as far as she knows i'm still going to be doing the same thing i've been doing since i first came to target, which is signing. it's so aggravating not knowing where i'm going to end up especially since it seems like everyone else in the store has already settled into their owned areas.

What are you scheduled under? Does if say signing on the schedule? Mine still does, but I was told that starting tomorrow, which in Monday, the signing tm no longer exists as a job at Target. How am I scheduled under signing them on the schedule. AFAIK, I'm just doing transition.

That's the truth. When I asked who will take down the Easter signing, first I get blank stares. Then I get ... well, I guess you. You guess? It's going to be so funny when they just anyone do it and the wires get all fucked up. You have to be meticulously careful.

Yep, I asked about this Friday before I left. Was told that I'm going to be putting up the new overhead, but that I'd also have to do it quickly because they weren't given hours for it and I'm going to be needed as part of the reset in Mini Seasonal since POG team is down 1 person with the PPTL no longer able to participate in sets.

So I'm just going to take down Easter signing and let them figure out which "General Merchandise Expert" is going to put up the new one as per the addendum. Doesn't say "Former Signing Person" or "Presentation Expert", so fuck em.

Problem is, I'm told that I'm still breaking down our signing pallets. And that I have to take a little more time than I used to even since I have to have to label and arrange things in such a way that 10 people can find it easily instead of just me being the living index like I used to be. And our signing pallets have started to come in on Mondays again. And the steel is pretty full right now from all the mini stuff. So I'm going to need the space for that. Or maybe I'll just talk them into letting me fly the signing pallet into the steel until later in the week. (Just kidding, the other steel is full to capacity from transition and paper)

This isn't quite the worst case scenario I imagined where I'd be getting all this pressure put on me to still do most of my old job while trying to "own" an area. But it's still pretty rough because I'm getting pressure to do a good chunk of my old job and basically replace the PPTL on POG (as far as hours, not planning stuff.. yet, anyway.. He has shown me all of the workload tools etc so I feel like that may be coming as well)

It just sucks because I honestly don't mind doing both. It's the pressure that I don't like. Some of those overheads legitimately take a while to put up correctly, especially since our front of store doesn't really line up with the ceiling grid, it can take a little planning to get it to look right on ones where they expect the grid to work. And they know I don't fuck around up there on the wave so I don't see why the extra pressure or why they think it will help. If anything, it's gonna cause me to rush and make a mistake that will end up costing more time.

Blah. Sorry for the semi rant but damn.

What are you scheduled under? Does if say signing on the schedule? Mine still does, but I was told that starting tomorrow, which in Monday, the signing tm no longer exists as a job at Target. How am I scheduled under signing them on the schedule. AFAIK, I'm just doing transition.

still scheduled under signing! at least for this week and the next week, who knows about the future because my tl hasn't told me anything concrete lol. the only time i'm scheduled differently is when hours are low, then they put me in one of the hardlines areas for a couple shifts.

Last edited:
It just sucks because I honestly don't mind doing both. It's the pressure that I don't like. Some of those overheads legitimately take a while to put up correctly, especially since our front of store doesn't really line up with the ceiling grid, it can take a little planning to get it to look right on ones where they expect the grid to work. And they know I don't fuck around up there on the wave so I don't see why the extra pressure or why they think it will help. If anything, it's gonna cause me to rush and make a mistake that will end up costing more time.

yeah, some of those overheads can take hours, no joke. our store was recently remodeled and they have these damn ceiling beam things that go across the front of the store that makes putting up fos overheads a pain in the ass.

Yep, I asked about this Friday before I left. Was told that I'm going to be putting up the new overhead, but that I'd also have to do it quickly because they weren't given hours for it and I'm going to be needed as part of the reset in Mini Seasonal since POG team is down 1 person with the PPTL no longer able to participate in sets.

So I'm just going to take down Easter signing and let them figure out which "General Merchandise Expert" is going to put up the new one as per the addendum. Doesn't say "Former Signing Person" or "Presentation Expert", so fuck em.

Problem is, I'm told that I'm still breaking down our signing pallets. And that I have to take a little more time than I used to even since I have to have to label and arrange things in such a way that 10 people can find it easily instead of just me being the living index like I used to be. And our signing pallets have started to come in on Mondays again. And the steel is pretty full right now from all the mini stuff. So I'm going to need the space for that. Or maybe I'll just talk them into letting me fly the signing pallet into the steel until later in the week. (Just kidding, the other steel is full to capacity from transition and paper)

This isn't quite the worst case scenario I imagined where I'd be getting all this pressure put on me to still do most of my old job while trying to "own" an area. But it's still pretty rough because I'm getting pressure to do a good chunk of my old job and basically replace the PPTL on POG (as far as hours, not planning stuff.. yet, anyway.. He has shown me all of the workload tools etc so I feel like that may be coming as well)

This is essentially the role I've had since Christmas. I am the 4th pog team member, do all the signing, and all the planning for Plano. But. I am a low volume store and no one puts the pressure on me. I basically run the Plano business uncontested unless something specific comes up.

I'm also consistently getting 40 hours so that helps too.

Rant away here! Steel? They took that away from me 2 years ago. It all goes in the fixture room. Which I why I have to be on it ALL THE TIME to keep it clean. Because if it starts getting the least bit messy, it has a cascade effect on the signing. I have to have a mental picture of all the signing I store in there from the pallet since no one with eyes can ever find their own signing. But, not my worry anymore. I officially unloaded my last pallet Wednesday. Now, I may be asked to unload another one, but all I'm doing is throwing it in there from now on. If Target is so shortsighted as to not care, why should I?

yeah, some of those overheads can take hours, no joke. our store was recently remodeled and they have these damn ceiling beam things that go across the front of the store that makes putting up fos overheads a pain in the ass.
Who remembers that effing fos Broadway marque a few years back? I had to revisit it the next day, after I calmed my ass down from my temper tantrum. What about the plaid that dropped down from all the ceiling tiles and blocked the lighting throughout the store? Ahhh, memories. I know it’s off topic, but what else we got here?

Who remembers that effing fos Broadway marque a few years back? I had to revisit it the next day, after I calmed my ass down from my temper tantrum. What about the plaid that dropped down from all the ceiling tiles and blocked the lighting throughout the store? Ahhh, memories. I know it’s off topic, but what else we got here?

The year of the Broadway marquee, a neighboring store's signing tm was out sick. I did all the Xmas signing twice. My brain was dead. Only good thing was the 2nd store was all OT.

The color wave about 8 years ago was pretty but difficult.

Easter signing with hanging bunnies that moved using batteries. It was awful.

There were moving scarecrows back in the day too.

I thought I was the only person who threw temper tantrums!! Some of that shit is hard.

Rant away here! Steel? They took that away from me 2 years ago. It all goes in the fixture room. Which I why I have to be on it ALL THE TIME to keep it clean. Because if it starts getting the least bit messy, it has a cascade effect on the signing. I have to have a mental picture of all the signing I store in there from the pallet since no one with eyes can ever find their own signing. But, not my worry anymore. I officially unloaded my last pallet Wednesday. Now, I may be asked to unload another one, but all I'm doing is throwing it in there from now on. If Target is so shortsighted as to not care, why should I?

Wow, that's got to be an absolute mess. I can't imagine what I'd do without my little section of signing steel.

I'm going to give it a fair go, but the first time they ask me why it's taking so long to break down/check in the pallet, I'm just going to start grouping everything together by the labels they send and nothing else. Not even checking to make sure it was all received. Then when they inevitably complain about that, I'll tell them to choose between done fast or done well, because they can't have both.

Wow, that's got to be an absolute mess. I can't imagine what I'd do without my little section of signing steel.

I'm going to give it a fair go, but the first time they ask me why it's taking so long to break down/check in the pallet, I'm just going to start grouping everything together by the labels they send and nothing else. Not even checking to make sure it was all received. Then when they inevitably complain about that, I'll tell them to choose between done fast or done well, because they can't have both.

Tbh, I've never audited the pallet. Not at either of the two stores I've worked at.

The fixture worked for me cause I had to. Our backroom is in the side of the building. It's pretty small. So I made it work. No longer mine though.

The year of the Broadway marquee, a neighboring store's signing tm was out sick. I did all the Xmas signing twice. My brain was dead. Only good thing was the 2nd store was all OT.

The color wave about 8 years ago was pretty but difficult.

Easter signing with hanging bunnies that moved using batteries. It was awful.

There were moving scarecrows back in the day too.
This is why I would love to say thank-you to whomever came up with the designs for the FOS when all that has had to be done lately is to change a few things out!

This is why I would love to say thank-you to whomever came up with the designs for the FOS when all that has had to be done lately is to change a few things out!

Yeah, but....have you considered they made it easier BECAUSE of modernization coming and the signing team member role going away? I'd rather swear a bunch at multi-step overheads with a clear understanding of my role than a vague one where I'm still (probably) doing the same thing but it's always subject to change due to "business needs."

Isn't that mandatory while deep cleaning the fixture room? 🤔😂🤣😂
Yes, I think I read that somewhere in the job description. I’ll miss that privilege of having a justified hissy fit towards someone I just busted. “Well I didn’t know where these shelves were suppose to go” while laying them on floor directly below ... where shelves are suppose to go.

What skill would you say the formerly know as signing person, person needs besides organization and planning?

The ability to creatively solve problems with minimal managerial support.

Skills at arts and crafts. Like for example the Mother's Day FOS came in slightly damaged so one of the holes for the wires was broken. I just slit a new hole with my box cutter. It's slightly crooked but nobody ever notices. Arts 'n' crafts

The ability to creatively solve problems with minimal managerial support.

Skills at arts and crafts. Like for example the Mother's Day FOS came in slightly damaged so one of the holes for the wires was broken. I just slit a new hole with my box cutter. It's slightly crooked but nobody ever notices. Arts 'n' crafts

I call that MacGyvering! 😁📎🔨

Trying to figure out where to keep our signing... anybody willing to share their signing area trying to get ideas 💡

Trying to figure out where to keep our signing... anybody willing to share their signing area trying to get ideas 💡
Do you have steel space or does it have to fit in the fixture room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back