Archived Silly LOD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my boss at Target, in an attempt to make us work faster, gave us red bulls. When asked how it made us feel, I said, "I'm happy." He said, "I don't want to make you happy, I want you to work faster." I replied, "You don't think happy employees are more productive?" ... He didn't have a response. I really need to be back in school!

The guy is cool and all, but DAMN! And when I found out how much he makes, being an LOD and TL who has worked at Target for 10 years, I laughed! I started making MUCH more as a janitor and will *probably* accept a job making 14.41/hour. When he told us how much he makes, I was like: "Wow, that's really sad, dude!"

So you judge him by how much he makes correct? How much do YOU make?

Worst part is, the ETL probably lied to him and gave him a low ball number.

Telling someone who makes $8/hour you make $50,000 (about $26/hour if it were converted to a wage) to sit in clerical while they feed you red bulls to push the truck isn't going to make you a very popular boss......

So you judge him by how much he makes correct? How much do YOU make?

Well I wasn't judging him in a condescending way like: haha I'm better than you. Rather I was just surprised and a little sad that being a dedicated employee for ten years he said he only makes 7.75 hour. As a janitor I made 8.45 an hour and this current job ill probably accept is 14.41 hour. It's just sad ese

Especially when target says it offers competitive wages... And I only make 7.50, which is why I'm trying to get a BETTER paying job.

Well I wasn't judging him in a condescending way like: haha I'm better than you. Rather I was just surprised and a little sad that being a dedicated employee for ten years he said he only makes 7.75 hour. As a janitor I made 8.45 an hour and this current job ill probably accept is 14.41 hour. It's just sad ese

Dude, he bold faced lied to you. No ETL makes 7.75/hour. And he's been around 10 years? lol You think someone with a college degree responsible for managing the whole store would be getting paid as much as the cart attendant?

Hate to break this to you, but the truth is he gets paid $50,000 a year to feed you red bulls like a zoo animal and tell you to work faster.

Here is how you know it's a lie:

1. ETLs are not paid hourly. (there are no exceptions to this.... 100% of ETLs are salary) This is your first huge red flag.

2. Minimum starting pay for an ETL fresh out of college is at least 40K.... and that is in a rural area.

3. Since he has been around 10 years, he is pulling in probably anywhere from 60K (assuming he got terrible performance reviews every year) to 80K (assuming he got great reviews every year).

I just have to say, I was right when I posted above that I bet he told you a low ball number. The reason is, most TMs would be pissed to know how much ETLs really make. At my store there were plenty of TMs who thought ETLs made around $20,000 a year.

(I just can't wait for the usual people who follow me around on this forum start posting "No, you are wrong StateofTarget. LOTS of ETLs make $7.75 an hour. My ETL told me so. You don't know what you are talking about)

Dude, he bold faced lied to you. No ETL makes 7.75/hour. And he's been around 10 years? lol You think someone with a college degree responsible for managing the whole store would be getting paid as much as the cart attendant?

Hate to break this to you, but the truth is he gets paid $50,000 a year to feed you red bulls like a zoo animal and tell you to work faster.

Here is how you know it's a lie:

1. ETLs are not paid hourly. (there are no exceptions to this.... 100% of ETLs are salary) This is your first huge red flag.

2. Minimum starting pay for an ETL fresh out of college is at least 40K.... and that is in a rural area.

3. Since he has been around 10 years, he is pulling in probably anywhere from 60K (assuming he got terrible performance reviews every year) to 80K (assuming he got great reviews every year).

I just have to say, I was right when I posted above that I bet he told you a low ball number. The reason is, most TMs would be pissed to know how much ETLs really make. At my store there were plenty of TMs who thought ETLs made around $20,000 a year.

(I just can't wait for the usual people who follow me around on this forum start posting "No, you are wrong StateofTarget. LOTS of ETLs make $7.75 an hour. My ETL told me so. You don't know what you are talking about)

My only thought is that the OP never said ETL (said TL and LOD)... so perhaps they mean a Senior TL? In which case I would guess we are forgetting a one off of the number... there is no way its 7.75... probably more like 17.75 an hour... Or maybe it was an ETL and the OP misunderstood the phrase "seven seven five" as 7.75 when the ETL mean 77,500? just a few guesses lol!

Etls are salary, if they work 12 to 16 hour days their "hourly wage" isnt that high. It's still alot more then I make though...

Etls are salary, if they work 12 to 16 hour days their "hourly wage" isnt that high. It's still alot more then I make though...

While it is true that putting in more than 40 hours a week is where ETLs get screwed, the fact is they still bring home 50K a year, which is a little over $4000 a month. The fact is, they are still making bank compared to any TM.

Are they getting screwed putting in those extra hours? Of course. Regardless, are they still pulling in $4000 a month? Yup.

I don't know about you, but I consider $4000 a month a hell of a lot of money.... especially in this economy. This guy has been an ETL for 10 years, so it is safe to say he is pulling in 60-70K. (since the OP described him as "cool", I am assuming he does his job and has gotten good reviews) That means he is making anywhere from $5000 a month to $5800 a month.

You also have to remember that, while they may be working 50-60 hour weeks, how many of those hours are sitting down in their office playing cell phone games and commanding the store from their walkie? Still not a bad deal IMO. Now if they were pushing the truck non-stop all those hours.... then yes, it would suck. Fact is, however, most ETLs piss away the day sitting in the office.

While it is true that putting in more than 40 hours a week is where ETLs get screwed, the fact is they still bring home 50K a year, which is a little over $4000 a month. The fact is, they are still making bank compared to any TM.

Are they getting screwed putting in those extra hours? Of course. Regardless, are they still pulling in $4000 a month? Yup.

I don't know about you, but I consider $4000 a month a hell of a lot of money.... especially in this economy. This guy has been an ETL for 10 years, so it is safe to say he is pulling in 60-70K. (since the OP described him as "cool", I am assuming he does his job and has gotten good reviews) That means he is making anywhere from $5000 a month to $5800 a month.

You also have to remember that, while they may be working 50-60 hour weeks, how many of those hours are sitting down in their office playing cell phone games and commanding the store from their walkie? Still not a bad deal IMO. Now if they were pushing the truck non-stop all those hours.... then yes, it would suck. Fact is, however, most ETLs piss away the day sitting in the office.

I agree with most of your points. I am lucky howwever as most of our ETL's spend the majority of the day on the floor, digging in with the rest of us. Our store has always taken the word "team" seriously. I feel bad for any store whose ETL's dont lead by example. That's kind of the point of being an ETL.

My only thought is that the OP never said ETL (said TL and LOD)... so perhaps they mean a Senior TL? In which case I would guess we are forgetting a one off of the number... there is no way its 7.75... probably more like 17.75 an hour... Or maybe it was an ETL and the OP misunderstood the phrase "seven seven five" as 7.75 when the ETL mean 77,500? just a few guesses lol!

Well I said I only make 7.50 an hour and he responded, "7.75" I assumed he meant seven dollars and seventy five cents per hour, but I could have misinterpreted or yes, it's possible, he lied to make us lowly TM feel better. In any case: if it's true, it still sucks! He's a cool guy though, one of the younger ones so working w/ him is fun. I still want to leave and go back to grad school so I can get a professional career, because I don't want to be zoning or re-shopping in my late forties.

SrTL's at my store range from $17.00 to $22.35

Do you know what the qualifications/credentials are to be anything other than a TM?

Like are TL/ETL/LOD required to have college degrees? And if so, in what disciplines? I was always kind of curious to know the education of the people telling me what to do all day...

Thanks.

Well I said I only make 7.50 an hour and he responded, "7.75" I assumed he meant seven dollars and seventy five cents per hour, but I could have misinterpreted or yes, it's possible, he lied to make us lowly TM feel better. In any case: if it's true, it still sucks! He's a cool guy though, one of the younger ones so working w/ him is fun. I still want to leave and go back to grad school so I can get a professional career, because I don't want to be zoning or re-shopping in my late forties.

It's not true, and honestly he probably isn't as cool as you think he is. $7.75 isn't just a little lie.... it's a complete bold faced lie that is intended to trick you. How you ask? By making you feel like he is similar to you so you will be more likely to trust him.

IMO, I would never trust this ETL again if I were you. He obviously is willing to outright lie to TMs in order to advance his little "I'm your friend. I'm like you" agenda, which is what I have seen a lot of ETLs use in order to get TMs to tell them things they normally wouldn't have. *Never* tell this ETL *anything* he could ever use against you, no matter how "cool" he seems to you. Trust me, he is the kind of guy that will knife you in the back the first chance he gets. A "cool" guy doesn't go around telling TMs he makes $7.75 when he really makes 50K..... There is *no* other reason to do that other than to deceive you.

Do you know what the qualifications/credentials are to be anything other than a TM?

Like are TL/ETL/LOD required to have college degrees? And if so, in what disciplines? I was always kind of curious to know the education of the people telling me what to do all day...

Thanks.

No one below ETL level needs a 4 year degree. ETL level and above, a 4 year degree is absolutely required.

Also, don't make the mistake that just because someone doesn't have a degree and is in the position of 'telling you what to do' doesn't mean they aren't legit. 99% of TMs would rather take orders from a TL with 10 years experience who worked his way up instead of an ETL who never worked a day in his life until he graduated college and became an ETL.

It's not true, and honestly he probably isn't as cool as you think he is. $7.75 isn't just a little lie.... it's a complete bold faced lie that is intended to trick you. How you ask? By making you feel like he is similar to you so you will be more likely to trust him.

IMO, I would never trust this ETL again if I were you. He obviously is willing to outright lie to TMs in order to advance his little "I'm your friend. I'm like you" agenda, which is what I have seen a lot of ETLs use in order to get TMs to tell them things they normally wouldn't have. *Never* tell this ETL *anything* he could ever use against you, no matter how "cool" he seems to you. Trust me, he is the kind of guy that will knife you in the back the first chance he gets. A "cool" guy doesn't go around telling TMs he makes $7.75 when he really makes 50K..... There is *no* other reason to do that other than to deceive you.

If nothing else, for the sake of "coaching" the OP on discussing your pay with another employee.....

He probably assumed you knew he was joking when he said $7.75. I mean, I would. Also - I would never tell a n y o n e what I make at Target. If they really want to they can probably figure it out on their own off of paygrades/roles/and guesses at merit increases. But that never makes for anything good. I understand being curious, but it wouldn't benefit them in any way to tell you what they really make, esp after being there so long.

As for SoT - that post reads a little on the harsh side. But I will say one thing to learn to know while working at Target is to never trust a n y o n e . Not people in particular - but anyone. not saying don't befriend people or trust them "enough" but at this company you should always have your guard up to some degree. don't get me wrong - i get along with everyone at my store - people trust me (and i them......to a degree) but you never know. particularly ETLs, but basically anyone. don't have "secrets". even telling someone something innocuously can get 'whisper-down-the-alley'd" into something else. the dynamics of the company just really don't allow for actual trust to be in abundance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back