Archived Small express Target stores. The future of Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Target eventually going to close all of its big stores and just have a bunch of the small express stores around? Most of the stores Target opens these days are the small express stores, with few new big stores opening.

Express stores are nice if you need a quick fix or want to pick up an online order, but I wouldn't want to go to one to do serious shopping...for one, they're small (i.e. not a ton of variety) and second, they're claustrophobic! I've been to one of the new ones in SoCal and it's pretty, but oh so small. City Targets feel gigantic and spacious compared to an Express. I'd hate to know what that store feels like when it's busy and/or TMs are trying to fill the floor. It just wouldn't be pleasant.

Is Target eventually going to close all of its big stores and just have a bunch of the small express stores around? Most of the stores Target opens these days are the small express stores, with few new big stores opening.

Not at all. They are closing unprofitable big stores, not all of them.

I do believe most new stores will be express stores based on the target market of millenials, colleges and business districts. And big stores in suburban markets are already well established

However closing big stores in the burbs doesn't make sense when it's women ages 20 to 50 who have kept this company afloat during tough times.

Express stores are nice if you need a quick fix or want to pick up an online order, but I wouldn't want to go to one to do serious shopping...for one, they're small (i.e. not a ton of variety) and second, they're claustrophobic! I've been to one of the new ones in SoCal and it's pretty, but oh so small. City Targets feel gigantic and spacious compared to an Express. I'd hate to know what that store feels like when it's busy and/or TMs are trying to fill the floor. It just wouldn't be pleasant.

Yeah unfortunately express stores don't provide the backroom space or sales floor space that big boxes have. I know the concept will soon be going into the store to order online the color and size that people want but there will always be a large contingent who want to go into the store, pick what they need and take it home right then and there.

Is Target eventually going to close all of its big stores and just have a bunch of the small express stores around?

Probably not. A lot of guests who live close to an Express store say to us that they would rather drive out further to a larger store because that smaller store doesn't have everything they need. These guests dislike not being able to one-stop shop. Based on this feedback, I doubt Target will close all big stores.

Depends on the market. Not sure if it's an express or just a smaller version of the regular that's planned for my town in the next couple of years. It's going to be right next to the university campus - so a lot of students who don't have cars to use to get to the big box stores that are miles away from campus. And maybe they don't want to lug home a big jug of laundry detergent and a huge package of toilet paper on the bus. Plus I can see it being a convenient stop for non-students who live or work nearby.
But the big box stores are located near other population clusters and have established customer bases. So I don't think they'll go away when the new one opens.

There are plenty of highly, highly profitable larger Target stores around.

I can't see them going anywhere soon.

I hope not. If anything a lot of Targets need to be made bigger, like my store which needs to be made a SuperTarget (bigger selection and from what I hear, bigger payroll). There's a Walmart supercenter, a Sam's Club and a Neighborhood Market close by so it's not like there isn't more sales volume to be had here.

I hope not. If anything a lot of Targets need to be made bigger, like my store which needs to be made a SuperTarget (bigger selection and from what I hear, bigger payroll). There's a Walmart supercenter, a Sam's Club and a Neighborhood Market close by so it's not like there isn't more sales volume to be had here.
I have 3 super t’s & 4 pfresh stores in my district. Depends on metro market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back