Archived Snow day? What does it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do whatever makes you feel safe. I have worked for Target for 15 years and the store closed early 1 day for a hurricane and closed to customers for multiple feet of snow. Outside of that a store will never punish you for calling out because of snow as a team member. ETL's on the other hand its expected you make it in if the store is open. Plan ahead get a hotel near the store, sleep in the store etc.

This is spot on. You can call out for weather and they cant do anything to you.

The reason the store will never close is they would have to pay you. If you can survive without one days pay enjoy your day off.

Target never closes for snow ( at least that's what I heard) because in Minneapolis snow to them is like eh that's nothing start walking so you best be walking ( yep risk your life that's okay) because they don't care:(

My store closed once, when there was a county wide travel/road ban due to the snow. They may have opened up that night, after the ban was lifted.. but I can't remember for sure. My shift was long over by then lol.

Last edited:
We didn't have a snow day but the heat shut off in February and the indoor temperature dropped to 40 by the afternoon. Only then did the LOD decide that if in two hours FROM THAT POINT the heat wasn't back up and running would they close. *rolls eyes* they were all working in their winter coats. :eek::(

We lost power for 8 hours (all "Open") time, we had to toss everything in our coolers on the floor and in the backroom (came out to about a $90,000 dollar loss), Our STL decided to keep the store open and have the TMs/TLs/etc all use flashlights to help the guests.

If it was up to my STL? We would never cancel on account of snow. Now the one Logistics ETL we had was pretty decent. If he saw the forecast called for some messy weather, three inches or more, he would either postpone or switch the truck day around for flow.

I live in Northern MN where we've been POUNDED with snow... 8 inches Friday night and now another 4 inches this morning plus other storms. This year's been slightly nastier, haven't been closed for one day of that time and we were all expected to work.

My friend said he tried calling in saying he might not make it the highway road is super bad and the LOD told him "that's not an excusable absence." and that day was SUPER bad, I was out doing carts that day and it was the first snow fall AND blizzard of the year at the same time... the plows were delayed due to preparation and contacting all the plow workers and city workers and I remember there was something like 228 crashes and spin outs with one fatal crash in like an hour.

Plows weren't really out until about 6pm when it had been snowing harshly for about 4 hours prior.

Seems like every workplace is, if the head boss can make it in.. anyone can.

Sure, every other single employee makes the right amount of money to own a Humvee with gigantic 6' tires and can power through snow.

Original Humvee those are awesome but the H2 & H3 are pussy ass trucks that break axles if they see snow much less try to drive in it. And usually they are driven by soccer moms who have no idea that they are 4wd much less how to actually drop them into 4wd. My area yours may vary.

I will keep my old Jeep.. By old I mean early 90's.. And you have to realize not everywhere actually prepares the road for snow and ice. Where I live they just don't plow. I got my beater jeep cause I got tired of my car getting stuck in unplowed roads. Ground clearance became the issue for me.

It takes an absolute catastrophe to have the store close. Back in Portland in 08 we got dumped with almost 20 inches of snow overnight and my store stayed open. Mind you, I lived ten blocks so I just trekked it but the STL was there from overnight yesterday till midnight the following day. It was the only time I worked a 6 am till midnight shift. No argument was given for call outs, but any tm that came in the STL personally bought change of clothes if they walked and breakfast/lunch/dinner if they stayed. It was the only time I saw them also chew out ETLs on the phone, calling them out on their bs about not being able to come in when they lived within twenty blocks (which was most of them). Also, it was idiotically busy at our store. Seriously, if people worry about the workers then they NEED TO NOT COME IN. This will send a message to retailers to freaking close. As long as the customers are at the doors pounding then the retailer will stay open.

This is spot on. You can call out for weather and they cant do anything to you.

The reason the store will never close is they would have to pay you. If you can survive without one days pay enjoy your day off.
What if a workcenter closes down? Too many tm's from flow called off because of snow and they weren't able to push the truck.

It takes an absolute catastrophe to have the store close. Back in Portland in 08 we got dumped with almost 20 inches of snow overnight and my store stayed open. Mind you, I lived ten blocks so I just trekked it but the STL was there from overnight yesterday till midnight the following day. It was the only time I worked a 6 am till midnight shift. No argument was given for call outs, but any tm that came in the STL personally bought change of clothes if they walked and breakfast/lunch/dinner if they stayed. It was the only time I saw them also chew out ETLs on the phone, calling them out on their bs about not being able to come in when they lived within twenty blocks (which was most of them). Also, it was idiotically busy at our store. Seriously, if people worry about the workers then they NEED TO NOT COME IN. This will send a message to retailers to freaking close. As long as the customers are at the doors pounding then the retailer will stay open.

At the old navy store I worked at if it snowed all the people that usually worked or had kids in school just mobbed the mall since they had nothing to do. They lived in walking distance so they figured "lets walk around the mall!" I lived a mile down the road and have hardcore winter tires on the car so I would come in and work a 12hr day. And at least I could have a little fun on the open roads since no one else was driving.

I was in the 09 Portland storm and had to abandon my car off of I5 on my way home from work. Yes I was one of "those " people. I ironically was in Minneapolis for something during the major 2014 storm- but took my wife 7 hours to drive home from her 35 min commute, my store didn't shut down for that either!

Snow vs. ice. My area is forcasted for 1/2 inch of ice on Monday. No tires will be able to get past that.

Two day blizzard with 6+ft of snow. Nothing in the district closed. Stl finally closed early the third day because he didn't want to close.

That is what studded tires are for.
Too bad they're illegal in town where I live. We get 1-2 ice storms per year and not much snow. The roads are poorly maintained and the idea is that studded tires will ruin them faster.

Too bad they're illegal in town where I live. We get 1-2 ice storms per year and not much snow. The roads are poorly maintained and the idea is that studded tires will ruin them faster.

They are legal here but they don't maintain roads either and you use them about - none time of the year. Meaning we have never had ice bad enough to actually use them for gripping and chopping into ice. I have only needed chains once for a bad storm just after I moved up here(meaning I did not actually have winter tires for the car so chains made it work). But no one else had proper wheel wear either.. Studs do help when you go through the passes but over on the west side of the state? Yeah no..

But we have people here who slap studded tires on October 1st and refuse to take them off until March first.. Tears up the roads bad...

You cant rely ( in most cases) on Spot closing the store, telling you not to come in, or telling you to leave early due to bad weather etc. I have learned the hard way. IF I don't feel safe going in then I call out . IF I am on the way to work and start slipping and sliding a lot I turn around and go back home. IF I am at work and winter weather starts or gets worse. I will tell them I need to leave. My life is worth more than selling toilet paper and laundry detergent. Spot isn't going to look out for me so I have to .

If our store cancels a truck (haven't had one not show up yet) they usually only tell half the team not to come in and the rest get to work on other stuff like autos or getting a head start on their other workcenters.

Target really doesn't like to close stores, it takes some serious disaster weather and/or the area government going "you're not opening because nobody should be outside today."

tl;dr apocalypse scenario is necessary

Before joining Target I lived in Alexandria, VA and worked in Maryland. We had 24 inches of snow in about 20 hours, yet I still was required to work even though plenty of people lived nearby who could have filled in.

Life sucks, and not just at Target.

Oh god were you here during the 2010 December blizzard? Snow started on the 21st and winter break starts on the 24th for us and it was a day-by-day "check to see if school is closed" because they didn't want to close the entire week. Then we got basically another week off in January as "winter break round 2".

Store closed during the January 2016 one. That was fun. My dogs fucking love the snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back