Archived So I understand reviews are coming up again....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh joy, reviews, this will be great. I can't wait to see how things go with AE2014 gutting everything. They were already a joke a few years ago.

I remember a few years ago my ETL was giving me my review when I was a TL.

It went like this:

We sit down and she gives me a copy of the review. Then the conversation goes....

My ETL: Ok, so I just wanted to give you your review. I want you to know I worked really hard on all of your reviews to make sure that everyone is truly getting the score they deserve.
Me: Ok sounds good.
My ETL: Ok, so let me start going over it with you. On the first section you overall did well. Let me read my comments: "You do a great job leading the team. I also think you do a great job driving sales Derrick and also uhhh.... umm... wait. actually you know what, let's do this later. I just realized I have some stuff to do right away. Ok, so let me call you back later.

Then she grabbed the copy she gave me out my hand and left the room.

There was just one problem.... my name isn't Derrick.

Little did she know I'm not a 5 year old and don't need to be read to. I read the entire thing myself the moment she gave me my copy while she was explaining it to me. The idiot literally had three different TL's names mentioned throughout the sections. She literally must have just copy/pasted things from different reviews because she was too lazy to write it.... and apparently didn't even bother to read what she was copy/pasting to realize she didn't change the names.

So a few days later she sits down and gives me the review again. I think this time she actually wrote it herself, but it was literally written so incredibly poorly that I couldn't believe someone with a college education was writing it. Literally - it was full of run on sentences, misused punctuation, sentence fragments.... it was just terrible. She had no shame. I don't even think she herself knew how terrible it was.

Well considering what I read in another thread that you have people here who have upwards of ninety reviews to write on their own, plus their self reviews (what a joke those are) and all the other paperwork that is poured on, a little cut and paste is the least of our worries.

How can they expect fair evaluations under those circumstances?
It's not reasonable to expect someone to do a decent job of reviewing their peoples job performances for an entire year under those conditions.
I've done reviews, they aren't easy if you're going to do them right.

Last edited:
Well considering what I read in another thread that you have people here who have upwards of ninety reviews to write on their own, plus their self reviews (what a joke those are) and all the other paperwork that is poured on, a little cut and paste is the least of our worries.

How can they expect fair evaluations under those circumstances?
It's not reasonable to expect someone to do a decent job of reviewing their peoples job performances for an entire year under those conditions.
I've done reviews, they aren't easy if you're going to do them right.

This is my problem. I want to do a fair job and be honest and not copy and paste but I have no idea how to do that. Some of my team members I literally never work with or work with them one time every two weeks. We will see what the next month brings! I did get 4 of my 90 day reviews done today. I love that you no longer have to document them. Much faster and I felt like a more meaningful conversation with those team memebers.

I miss the days when reviews were given on TMs anniversary dates rather than all lumped together. It's too easy to say "F--- it", come up with a generic review per score, and copy/paste it.

We maybe have 90 people working at our store...I cannot imagine this...

I only have 26 annual reviews to do. Plus my self review. Plus the 90 days that are due before the Annuals are due. But I figure it doesn't really matter. My team reviewed our work center TMs, then assigned *scores* and turned it into HR who then returned the scores that we can really give and which we base the reviews on. (I scored the TM an EX, HR scored the TM an IE - who works with the TM? I do. Whose score really counts? HRs) It doesn't really matter what the TM did thru the year. What matters is how much money we have for raises in our store - that's what really determines what score our TMs get.

So if I copy and paste or just pencil whip every one, who cares? You're gonna get what our raise quota is, divided by the number of TMs.

Sad, but true.

I only have 26 annual reviews to do. Plus my self review. Plus the 90 days that are due before the Annuals are due. But I figure it doesn't really matter. My team reviewed our work center TMs, then assigned *scores* and turned it into HR who then returned the scores that we can really give and which we base the reviews on. (I scored the TM an EX, HR scored the TM an IE - who works with the TM? I do. Whose score really counts? HRs) It doesn't really matter what the TM did thru the year. What matters is how much money we have for raises in our store - that's what really determines what score our TMs get.

So if I copy and paste or just pencil whip every one, who cares? You're gonna get what our raise quota is, divided by the number of TMs.

Sad, but true.

An EX down to an IE?! That's just terrible. These TMs are real people with real feelings who do honest and (clearly in this person's case) good work. To have to tell them that they aren't doing good work in something when that clearly isn't the case is a sham. People deserve better than this, damn it.

Sad, but true.

An EX down to an IE?! That's just terrible. These TMs are real people with real feelings who do honest and (clearly in this person's case) good work. To have to tell them that they aren't doing good work in something when that clearly isn't the case is a sham. People deserve better than this, damn it.

According to my boss, an IE is not a bad thing. If you're inconsistently effective, it just means that sometimes you don't vibe and you were late once or twice or you didn't bag something right. So the EX and Os are unattainable? Sounds like it.

out of the 70 i'm doing i only have 4 IE's. Most are E's, about 10 EX and 2 O's. ETL-HR went with what I said. I was shocked.

According to my boss, an IE is not a bad thing. If you're inconsistently effective, it just means that sometimes you don't vibe and you were late once or twice or you didn't bag something right.

That is the worse kind of sophistry.
Of course nobody is perfect but to say that you're going to ding them because it fits into the STORES! profile is bullshit.
People should be paid a living wage and than paid more for working hard and doing a good job.

It is my understanding that a team member can't drop from where they were last year without documentation of performance. So that one team member can't go from an ex to an ie. Reviews are a joke anyways. I have tms who deserve and earned o, but there is not enough money to allow for that rating. Complete bs is what the whole review system is!

So if you feel your review is completely unfair, is the raise negotiable?
What if you disagree with parts of the review and don't sign the paper?

so if a certain manager writes the reviews and not your Team lead, and the manager does not like you and he knows you do a great job, he will give you a low performance review rather than your team lead?

ETL can (& WILL) override a TL's ranking/review if they think it will imperil anyone else getting any semblance of a raise.
Say a TL wants to give a TM an "Outstanding" & the raise that goes with it, it could seriously deplete the store's budget for any remaining raises. If everyone else performed shoddy the past year except this stand-out, it would be a no-brainer & he could keep his "O".
Unfortunately, countless others deserve some kind of raise & leadership is stuck either giving the whole cracker to one TM or crumbling it up to shower everyone with a few crumbs. Some folks might walk because they didn't get the raise they thought they deserved while others will 'settle' for something because it's easier than starting from the bottom elsewhere.

The first year the HR lowered all the scores my ETL and I had spent a great deal of time coming up with and making sure they were fair, I was pissed. Lowedr an O to IE because the guy who was the best backroom team member I ever had did not say good morning to her one morning when she wandered into the backroom. It was not just him or my team it was the entire store. So the TLs wrote reviews based on their observations and refused to rewrite and fake them to meet lower scores. So a TM would come in get a review that had mostly EX and Es in every catagory then get and IE as a final score. We would tell them the review is written according my review of your performance the final score the HR made up go see her if you have a problem with it. So many complained they did boost up most them that year. That was the last year this worked as we were then told next year we would write reviews to the scores given or be witten up for insubordination. So glad I quit that place. Best decision I ever made.

I've heard the explanation that if the store isn't doing that well than even if the TMs are working their hardest they must not be doing enough so they don't deserve raises.

Signing the review doesn't mean you agree with the rating. It is just confirmation that it has been delivered to you.

I can't remember what I got the first 3 times, but I know the last one was an E. As long as everyone else got an E, I'm okay with that, because I know I'm the best worker. There are times when I can be a dick and follow the rules out if spite, just to piss certain people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back