• Thread starter ShaSha18
  • Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 1K
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShaSha18

Pretty much being thrown in there! I only was trained for breaks and 46's so I'm kinda freaking out. I feel like I don't know anything! I've talked to my TL's and GSA's they say you've got it we will help you!

Any advice?

Your main job is gonna be handling returns, dealing with defectives, sorting stray items, and handling guest questions. Hardlines Master linked a good thread on the service desk, and this is the Service Desk guide on the wiki. For the most part, these are the main things that you will need to worry about. A lot of the job is learning through experience, as a lot of scenarios can't really be taught until you experience them for yourself. If you ever have any questions, or feel like something's fishy, contact your GSA/GSTL and they should be able to help you.

Also, I'm not sure about your store, but we have a Service Desk booklet guide that's similar to the Cashier's guide in one of the drawers at our service desk. If you can locate it and you have spare time, you can flip through that.

I just finished yet another shift in Guest Service. As previously stated, you will learn as you go and it took me maybe 8 shifts to "get" nearly all of it. It's important to maintain a smile and positive attitude as some guests are not super happy about returning items, especially if they were defective. In those cases I always apologize for wasting their valuable time. Ask your GSTL for guidance on no receipt returns and even if the guest attempting to commit fraud looks like a POS, never let them see what you think. Keep smiling, stay professional. Keep the area uncluttered. I often dump 5 "Go Back" carts into one to reduce congestion. Process returned items and defects immediately letting the next guest in line know you'll be right with them. Keep counters wiped down and above all keep the area clean. Push back the "Go Back" carts and pickup the items that were missed by team mates poor aim and keep the back area as organized and spotless as the front. Work hard, work fast and never stop smiling.

Pretty much being thrown in there! I only was trained for breaks and 46's so I'm kinda freaking out. I feel like I don't know anything! I've talked to my TL's and GSA's they say you've got it we will help you!

Any advice?
46's? I assume you state has 45 minute lunches and people call them 46's because you have to wait an extra minute to punch back in? Makes sense, but never heard that term.

As for the other responses, I agree with all except Sacramento's if I understand it correctly.

I'd beat a cashier over the head with something, preferably something pointy, if they combined 5 reshop carts into 1. That's just making it harder for the people that have to push the items to the floor.

We have carts 6/7 combined as one two-tier, and 2/3 combined, but none of the other make sense to combine.

6 is toys, 7 is electronics, 2 is pets/chem 3 is HBA. ie. 2=3=A Block 6/7 = E/F (except seasonal, that is its own cart).

Last edited:
I'd beat a cashier over the head with something, preferably something pointy, if they combined 5 reshop carts into 1. That's just making it harder for the people that have to push the items to the floor.
lol at first I was appalled at this as well, but I think they meant combining the unsorted reshop into 1 cart and then sorting it instead of having 5 partially full unsorted reshop baskets cluttering GS, which is what i did too and a good idea...keep it as uncluttered as possible...especially going into Q4 it's going to be a disaster area.

You'll get it, and I think you'll like it. Honestly GS shifts were my favorite. I almost always had good days on my GS shifts and I actually enjoyed working the service desk. like @Firefox said, there are a lot of situations that just can't be covered in basic training, it just takes experience...honestly, that was one of the things i really liked about it though - figuring out what to do in the weird or difficult situations. Just keep cool, keep it clean, don't be afraid to ask for help, and read through that thread that HLM posted.

46's? I assume you state has 45 minute lunches and people call them 46's because you have to wait an extra minute to punch back in? Makes sense, but never heard that term.

As for the other responses, I agree with all except Sacramento's if I understand it correctly.

We have carts 6/7 combined as one two-tier, and 2/3 combined, but none of the other make sense to combine.

6 is toys, 7 is electronics, 2 is pets/chem 3 is HBA. ie. 2=3=A Block 6/7 = E/F (except seasonal, that is its own cart).

ASANTS, but I agree with you. We have 6 carts behind the service desk, each for their respective areas. Though I think that Sacramento probably meant 5 carts of unsorted go-backs into one unsorted cart.

That makes more sense, though we'd never have five carts of unsorted reshop. At most maybe 1-2, and they'd be sorted ASAP. That is probably volume-dependent to a large degree though. We're flirting with A volume status, but are currently still B I think, so by no means ULV, but also a far ways from the top stores in terms of sales.

That makes more sense, though we'd never have five carts of unsorted reshop. At most maybe 1-2, and they'd be sorted ASAP. That is probably volume-dependent to a large degree though. We're flirting with A volume status, but are currently still B I think, so by no means ULV, but also a far ways from the top stores in terms of sales.

Yeah our store is AA/AA+, and we usually have about 2 carts at all times unless it gets slow, and it's not uncommon for us to have 5 or more if it gets crazy.

Sorry if I mislead you guys. Of course I meant I combine the carts BEFORE sorting them. It gives me more room to move in the cramped area and looks better when guests are being served. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am very careful scanning and sorting the items, to make it more efficient for the Hard & Soft lines folks. I worked Hard lines at the beginning of my job at Target and have learned that time is of the essence.

The 5 or so carts are mostly <25% full, so combining them makes sense prior to sorting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back