Archived So long, spot...it was bittersweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So some weeks ago I left Target for another job that didn't quite didn't pan out, and went unemployed for a week. Just yesterday I got three job offers and picked the one with the highest pay. I'm going to miss my team members the most, but not the red card and most certainly not the drama with a few managers that thought they were God. By the end it wasn't the awesome store I joined up with and the pressure for redcards was... more than ever. I even was told by a GSTL that if I didn't keep up with the demands there would be coachings and termination. It was definitely not the same store that I joined when I left. They tried to keep me, the HR-ETL even pulled me aside but when I almost wanted to stay, it wasn't possible. Ha. That was a blessing in disguse.

During my last few weeks there at Target, I was told that the new management was never going to be like the old management. They expected you to do your job and that was that, you wouldn't be rewarded for it. I was burned out by pushing the red card, handling entitled guests, extreme couponers, hearing ABOUT THE BREACH THAT HAPPENED FOREVER AGO and I was tired of picking up after other people after closing. I did the job of three people. I decided after my favorite GSA quit who was a good friend to me (an ETL yelled at her on more than one occasion after calling for back up) I decided that was it. After being hounded again and again for the red card and certain people revealing their true colors, I couldn't take it anymore. I was so done with the high school crap, also. Too much exclusion, unless you were with the in crowd. Obviously, you are at a job to make money but aren't you supposed to like where you work? Get along with the people that you work with? I did for the most part but it was such a revolving door of people. What about being respected? The great leaders often leave and the assholes stay but oh man, was I tired of the harassment. I gave feedback to our new ETL-GE that forced me out the door (he was a baby right out of college) but I doubt it made a difference; he asked me why I didn't come to them sooner and they could have kept me. As if. I'm sure some would retaliate against me had I stayed but I can really care less at this point, even when I was the person just doing my job. They couldn't understand why my attitude changed when the threats started coming more and more. No matter what I did, and no matter how I assisted others, worked guest service, it did not matter unless I got at least one red card per shift. Even still, I was held responsible for more than other people because I was so capable. It was as if the better you were at your job, the more screwed you were. At the last few months I had at Target I was asked why I wasn't good anymore. Ha, what? Sometimes I was the only closer, and I never called off for anything.

And dear Lord, the chip cards. Can GUESTS, no, customers, read directions by the pin pad? I tired of giving the same fricken tutorial every day. The feeling of desperation to get a guest to open a red card was very real. The managers laughed and high-fived one another, acted like it was high school, but we could not even speak to one another for very long. We were expected to be robots every day.

I know some time ago I sang praises for Target. I truly loved where I worked at the time and the management made it so fun to work I enjoyed asking for red cards. Everyone was so positive. However recently a particular (very young, cheerleading type) manager that showed her true colors ended up telling one of the GSTLs about my first day at my new job after I'd put in my two weeks notice, I'd mentioned it on FB, and said GSTL came up to me to ask me how my first day was. I decided I had enough and there was definitely no going back. I was even told that I was not the only person saying half of what I was saying. They even said to me it would take time for the store to come back how it used to be because bonds that had been there for years had to take time to form again because of the new team members, and the new leadership.

What a crock of BS.

How can they think that it's perfectly fine to treat people however they want? I was told how professional I was, an example to other TMs, and that they really wished they could keep me. I was even given so many reasons as to why I shouldn't leave but not why I should stay. Guilt was a driving force behind their arguments.

Truthfully, I'm sad it ended this way. I left on good terms by giving a two weeks notice and amping up my red card game despite the no incentive. I did everything and more, and nothing changed despite their promises.

I'll still be here around the board, laughing about stories about stupid ass guests and giving my two cents about crappy leadership. I will miss Target in a way, because I was so skilled at my job, but most of all, I'll miss the people. It's only been a few weeks and already I am feeling a sort-of bittersweet nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back