Archived So my HR TL called me in today

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long story short, a usual guest who pays his Target bill in all singles came in and paid his bill. I finished the transaction and took the money. The money was in a bag (about $1,000). Since it was a large quantity, my intentions were to put it in the cash drawer but because it was Black Friday weekend and I was by myself at Guest Services, I placed it on the shelf right below the cash drawer that's behind Guest Service. My intentions were to place it in the cash drawer later but I honestly forgot about it because it was extremely busy and my LOD didn't come to the front when I asked him about it and the GSA was on their 30.

Needless to say fast forward to today, my HR TL pulled me into their office and talked to me about it. I wasn't given a CA or a final warning. My TL said that they had to talk to a mentor of some sort to see what to do about the incident.

My question is should I be worried about being fired? It was a honest mistake and what I told them corroborated with what was on the camera. I have never been late and have never had any troubles at work. My TL said they don't know if this will be a CA, Final, or an immediate termination. I do admit I should have taken care of it better and take responsibility for it but I don't think I should be fired for it. Is this an incident that is grounds for termination? I don't think I should be fired for this though.

You should not be in charge of handling money.
You thought $1000 on a shelf was a good idea? I am just amazed. I would fire you in a second or move you to a non-cash position forever.

It wasn't intentional. I placed several other items in front of it so it wasn't obvious or visible. I forgot about it. I called my LOD up several times but they never came. I couldn't stop doing my job or I still would have gotten written up. So I was damned either way. And the TL that pulled me in to talk was the same TL that I called 3 or 4 times to come and get it.

You should not be in charge of handling money.
You thought $1000 on a shelf was a good idea? I am just amazed. I would fire you in a second or move you to a non-cash position forever.

The money wouldn't fit in the cash drawer and I don't have access to the cash office so I called the LOD several times and no one ever came. And once again, i'm Guest Service which also includes Order Pickup and Drive up which i'm also responsible for. I was the only person responsible for all of this. It wasn't intentional and was a honest mistake.

Unless you're a small-form store, your GS desk probably has 4 or more registers, right?
I'd put the money in one and suspend its use for the rest of the night until the GSA/GSTL comes to do money.

$1000 in all ones? How long did this take you to count?

Don't leave money anywhere that isn't a cash drawer.

Not intentional is what mistakes are by definition. In the scheme of mistakes this one is, unfortunately, big. I'm sure they will take a lot of things about you into consideration when deciding your fate.

Getting that money to a safe place should have been your priority. Target is entrusting you to care for their business and this was a let down. I'm sure you won't do this again and hopefully you will get a chance to prove it. But if I gave someone a thousand bucks to keep safe and they put it down and forgot about it, I would definitely question their friendship. Certainly you can see how bad this is?

It wasn't intentional. I placed several other items in front of it so it wasn't obvious or visible. I forgot about it. I called my LOD up several times but they never came. I couldn't stop doing my job or I still would have gotten written up. So I was damned either way. And the TL that pulled me in to talk was the same TL that I called 3 or 4 times to come and get it.

Sounds intentional to me. Maybe it wasn't your intention to leave it there, but you made the decision to not secure cash (intentionally) and it was the wrong decision. You're lucky you're not on a final, and it will most likely be a CA. We had a GSA who left the guest service start funds in a bin on the service desk when the store opened and it was decided by our HRBP that she be put on a final.

Unless you're a small-form store, your GS desk probably has 4 or more registers, right?
I'd put the money in one and suspend its use for the rest of the night until the GSA/GSTL comes to do money.

$1000 in all ones? How long did this take you to count?

Don't leave money anywhere that isn't a cash drawer.

It took me a very long time to count it. I don't even remember how long it took. I know I shouldn't have and I regret not doing it now. I really didnt know what else to do. Next time I'll just hold on to it. It was just hectic night and it wouldn't fit in the cash drawer nor in the register unless I took out the drawer. I was the only 1 over GS.

My LOD (same 1 who pulled me in) told me next time to just go with whatever amount the guy tells me to take his word for it because he is a regular and is (usually) good for what he says. That was over the walkie too when I originally did it. I asked my LOD to come to the front to count it in the bill counter and to get it several times and he never came. I should have just held on to it so I didn't forget about it like I originally thought. I'm paying the price for a honest mistake.

just go with whatever amount the guy tells me to take his word for it because he is a regular and is (usually) good for what he says
Sounds like this ETL/SrTL sucks and is lazy.

Never do that. Count that shit in front of them and in clear view of the cameras. Till being short will also be on you.

Sounds intentional to me. Maybe it wasn't your intention to leave it there, but you made the decision to not secure cash (intentionally) and it was the wrong decision. You're lucky you're not on a final, and it will most likely be a CA. We had a GSA who left the guest service start funds in a bin on the service desk when the store opened and it was decided by our HRBP that she be put on a final.

Yeah I take responsibility for it but I just don't think I should get fired over it. I had forgot about it until they pulled me into the office about it today. It corroborated with what they saw on tape, including me talking to the LOD on the walkie. I could understand a CA but a possible termination I think isn't fair especially when I called for the LOD several times. Doesn't excuse me leaving it there but I don't think I should be at risk for being terminated.

Does a final mean termination? I've never been in trouble until now.

Yeah I take responsibility for it but I just don't think I should get fired over it. I had forgot about it until they pulled me into the office about it today. It corroborated with what they saw on tape, including me talking to the LOD on the walkie. I could understand a CA but a possible termination I think isn't fair especially when I called for the LOD several times. Doesn't excuse me leaving it there but I don't think I should be at risk for being terminated.

Does a final mean termination? I've never been in trouble until now.

No. Usually it goes CA > Final > Term. I haven't seen negligence go straight to termination without prior performance documentations. If you're a seasonal TM in certain states, Target may just terminate based on that though.

Sounds like this ETL/SrTL sucks and is lazy.

Never do that. Count that shit in front of them and in clear view of the cameras. Till being short will also be on you.

He's nice. We were short handed and we had a very busy night on top of being a smaller store. I'm mad that there's even a possible termination on the table. I'm prepared for a Corrective action but a possible termination isn't fair to me. I literally have no other negative marks against me.

No. Usually it goes CA > Final > Term. I haven't seen negligence go straight to termination without prior performance documentations. If you're a seasonal TM in certain states, Target may just terminate based on that though.

Nope i'm non-seasonal. They didn't have me sign anything. It was a stupid mistake for me and I regret it.

Final means just that: the last conversation they'll have. Strike two in baseball.
Third strike, one more conversation, you're out.

So it's a waiting game for me because my ETL said they had to speak to some mentor/ colleague from another store about what to do.

You’ll be fine. When they have this “formal” talk with you, do mention the fact that you called the LOD over several times, and they would not respond. Also, next time have the LoD go on another channel and explain the situation. I am sure an LOD would respond to you quicker if they knew the situation.

Not intentional is what mistakes are by definition. In the scheme of mistakes this one is, unfortunately, big. I'm sure they will take a lot of things about you into consideration when deciding your fate.

Getting that money to a safe place should have been your priority. Target is entrusting you to care for their business and this was a let down. I'm sure you won't do this again and hopefully you will get a chance to prove it. But if I gave someone a thousand bucks to keep safe and they put it down and forgot about it, I would definitely question their friendship. Certainly you can see how bad this is?

Yes I take responsibility for putting it down where it was. I acknowledged that part. It didn't even cross my mind again until they brought it up to me last night. I admitted to the transaction and told my ETL literally everything I did. It perfectly corroborated with what was seen on the security camera. Wasn't intentional for it to be forgotten but I definitely called the LOD before and after I did the transaction. It wouldn't fit in the cash drawer or register and I couldn't stop serving guests either. The line was long and I was the only Guest Service Attendant and called for backup a few times and no one came.

You’ll be fine. When they have this “formal” talk with you, do mention the fact that you called the LOD over several times, and they would not respond. Also, next time have the LoD go on another channel and explain the situation. I am sure an LOD would respond to you quicker if they knew the situation.

He did and my LOD said "He's (the guest) good for it. Go ahead and put whatever amount he says in. He's a regular."

I asked him to run it through the bill counter in Cash Office (I don't have access to that) and that's what he told me to do.

Why did you call your gstl about it? They would of done a skim on your drawer.

Because they were on their 30 which with how the store is set up, leaves me the next 1 in charge. So I was Guest Service as well as "GSA" for the next 30 or so minutes. That's why I called the LOD instead but they never came to the front.

Why did you call your gstl about it? They would of done a skim on your drawer.

And by the time the GSA came back, I had forgot about it because my mind was scattered with the other million things I had to do before leaving as closing Guest Service.

Do you guys have a locked drawer at guest service? We have a locked up lost and found drawer for lost cards, phones, small valuables and we put money in there if needed since it is secure. I’ve closed a guest service register and gotten pulled away with a guest and locked the bag in that drawer while I went and dealt with that situation.

Hang in there I would expect a corrective, but I doubt they will fire you. Weird story but I can tell you care about your job.

Very strange. I take responsibility for what happened because it was my fault because I was in possession of the money. I just don't see what else I could have done besides holding on to the bag given the circumstances I was in. So now I have to wait and see.

Do you guys have a locked drawer at guest service? We have a locked up lost and found drawer for lost cards, phones, small valuables and we put money in there if needed since it is secure. I’ve closed a guest service register and gotten pulled away with a guest and locked the bag in that drawer while I went and dealt with that situation.

We do have that which it is the cash drawer. However, the cash drawer was filled with the funds for the registers and SCO. I opened the drawer 1st and tried to fit it inside the drawer but it didn't fit. I even took out the empty change slots for coins to try and fit it but it still wouldn't fit. (I told my ETL this and it corroborates with what's on the camera) GSA was on their 30 and by the time they got back my mind was scattered with the other million things that I had to do. I called my LOD but they never came up to the front. So in a last attempt because my line got super long and I didnt want to just leave it sitting out, I put it in a spot where I thought it would be secure until later. I just forgot about it completely. According to my ETL, it was still in the same spot where I even said I did with it. Next time I'll just hold on to the bag and blow up my LOD on walkie until they come up and get it.

I'm potentially on a final or termination because of a honest mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back