Archived So..Should I have called 911?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like she had a seizure. I've had this specific instance twice, both times it was a seizure. Both times I called 911.

Your LOD is at best an idiot for not doing so, and at worst criminally negligent.

Hey is this grounds for a lawsuit?

Asking for..well...I’m curious.

911 should’ve been called.

But OP, you shouldn’t feel any guilt at all. This falls solely on the LOD.

Absolutely not the OP’s fault. The LOD should have called. What if Amber had passed away due to lack of care? How would the LOD have lived with herself? And can you imagine how that would have played out in the news?

Did Amber eventually go to a doctor or hospital? If so, let them know about workers compensation. If you get sick or hurt on the job, all expenses are covered.

At least that’s the law where I live.

Did Amber eventually go to a doctor or hospital? If so, let them know about workers compensation. If you get sick or hurt on the job, all expenses are covered.

At least that’s the law where I live.
If it's a pre-existing condition that is simply aggravated by work you don't get worker's comp.

Probably not, if Amber is fine. Most civil lawsuits of this kind would need to prove damages, which sounds like they might be tough in this case.

(not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Consult an actual lawyer for legal advice)

The LOD was completely wrong. The TM was unresponsive....that was enough.
Sending the TM back with a roommate? Is Amber a college student?
When the LOD was leaving the room to get the gatorade or to look for the emergency contacts would have been the best time to call 911 AND a code green.
Yes, an ambulance ride is expensive....but this instance could have ended up with a dead TM or a permanently disabled TM.

The LOD needs to be disciplined.

As a TM or any bystander, NEVER be afraid to call 911.....if you are at Target or at any other location you must call.

If she is ok, most likely no.

If she would have died or been adversely impacted medically, possibly. By failing to call for paramedics when she was obviously (and obviously is the key word here) in medical distress could place liability on them. At the minimum they should just be fired for being a moron.

There's a lot that can go on in the moment. I probably would have called 911 since I wouldn't understand why the team member was going in and out of consciousness but I'm sure it was a stressful situation.

In those kinds of situations, where it's unclear if you're dealing with a medical emergency, it's best to at the very least call Alert One. Alert One would be very quick to tell you if you need to call an ambulance or if you just need to monitor their condition. Best case scenario: the TM is cleared to be sent home with no further care needed and file made about the episode. You won't get in trouble for calling Alert One when you're dealing with a possible emergency.

Based on my experience, I would've had someone stay with the TM, a TL call 911, and myself as the LOD call Alert One. Someone going in and out of consciousness is way above my ability to treat and needs proper medical attention. Also you're not supposed to give fluids, food, or meds to someone with an unknown medical condition. You don't know if their ability to swallow is compromised and you don't know if their body can handle it. They may have an allergy that they can't tell you about.

First aid courses! Everyone ought to know the basics and advanced classes even better. On the clock or off anyone can find themselves in a situation where they must evaluate and render aid. Most people don’t see others in medical distress often and dont recognize what’s going on. Decorum, policies, money are less important than a life.

Last edited:
The best thing is to be on the safe side and call 911 just in case. If it was nothing serious, then ok. If it was something serious that was prevented, then kudos to you. If said TM drove herself home or whatever and got into an accident and died or killed someone else, then there are legal ramifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back