Archived Some cashiering questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't really relevant, but there is this veteran cashier who's been at my store for about 10 years, if not longer, and he always asks me to remove the spider wraps for him when guests buy items with spider wrap on them. He doesn't even try anymore, he just asks me to take them off when needed. I would be more understanding if a team member who is backing up or relatively new struggled with spider wrap, but not someone who's been at Spot far longer than most other team members at my store.
I am the spider wrap guy at my store. Many cashiers ask me to get their wraps off, either because they have never encountered them before (newer cashiers) or because they have a particular difficulty getting a particular design to open. Admittedly, some can be challenging. Also, not knowing the particular situation, the cashier you have been helping might have mobility issues in his hands that make opening the wraps (a task that does require a fair bit of dexterity) difficult

I'm gonna be that guy, but...

You're not a GSTM anymore. You're a Service and Engagement Advocate (SEA).
Your leader is not the GSTL anymore. It's the Service and Engagement Team Leader (SETL).

Modern titles, everyone!! 😀:D
Agree with some of the others, my store hasn't been introduced to these new terms (yet..)! My supervisors have always been referred to as GSTLs. Guest service advocates/team members or whatever you call 'em are honestly just referred to as cashiers where we are... XD

I had to go to our TPS and get instructions. No one else had managed to show me in a way I understood.

Another tip: look carefully at coins given by guests. Many foreign coins are the same size and color as American coins but they are useless in the US. If you accidentally give foreign coins to guests as change, they might be really ticked. I've seen new cashiers stuck with Chinese, Euro and Canadian coins which look like American quarters, dimes and nickels, or canadian dollar and two-dollar coins. one time i came on a register and another new cashier apparently took over 30 canadian dimes, i had to get the gstl to take these away from the register, or else somebody would give these as change to guests.

Last edited:
yet another tip: watch paper bills closely. if it's been ripped and taped together, especially if its a $50 or $100, have a gstl take a look. hard to explain but some banks may not take a bill with multiple pieces that's been taped together and target can be out the money.

Another tip: look carefully at coins given by guests. Many foreign coins are the same size and color as American coins but they are useless in the US. If you accidentally give foreign coins to guests as change, they might be really ticked. I've seen new cashiers stuck with Chinese, Euro and Canadian coins which look like American quarters, dimes and nickels, or canadian dollar and two-dollar coins. one time i came on a register and another new cashier apparently took over 30 canadian dimes, i had to get the gstl to take these away from the register, or else somebody would give these as change to guests.
Lol, around here we take Canadian coin same as US. Nobody would blink an eye.

I've had Canadian coins in the bank rolls that were given to us to refill change before, especially pennies. We're close enough to our northern neighbor that no one even really notices. (I do keep a close eye on them because people are more likely to spend silver Canadian dimes and quarters than US ones, and the GSTL and GSAs let me buy them out for my coin collection)

I'm gonna be that guy, but...

You're not a GSTM anymore. You're a Service and Engagement Advocate (SEA).
Your leader is not the GSTL anymore. It's the Service and Engagement Team Leader (SETL).

Modern titles, everyone!! 😀:D
Still haven't gotten used to those new titles. For me, I just like to call the name of the team member I need assistance from over the walkie. Last week, I think a vendor needed to speak to an LOD and one of the ETLs responsible for overseeing the front end reminded me that the title LOD doesn't exist anymore.

Still haven't gotten used to those new titles. For me, I just like to call the name of the team member I need assistance from over the walkie. Last week, I think a vendor needed to speak to an LOD and one of the ETLs responsible for overseeing the front end reminded me that the title LOD doesn't exist anymore.
Yes because saying “ETL closest to front end” is way quicker than “LOD”, way to go target!

Sorry about that, I wasn't thinking when I posted that, I just wanted to vent a little about the veteran cashier who pushes removing spider wrap onto me.
I forgot to mention that since I'm usually scheduled at self-checkout, when the cashier asks me to remove spider wrap, it diverts my attention from the guests I should be watching.

I forgot to mention that since I'm usually scheduled at self-checkout, when the cashier asks me to remove spider wrap, it diverts my attention from the guests I should be watching.

But that's how it's going to be when there are no longer any GSAs anyway. If there isn't a GSTL on duty, apparently the SCO person is supposed to help the cashier(s) resolve any issues. I would expect the SCO to be unattended multiple times Every Single Day.
It's what Spot wants.

I've had Canadian coins in the bank rolls that were given to us to refill change before, especially pennies. We're close enough to our northern neighbor that no one even really notices. (I do keep a close eye on them because people are more likely to spend silver Canadian dimes and quarters than US ones, and the GSTL and GSAs let me buy them out for my coin collection)

Heh, yeeting that free silver is the ONLY reason to ever cashier. Some of my past finds at my last job:

- 1912 silver dime worth about $80
- 1946 and 1949 Ag quarters
- About 8 bucks face value in Mercury/Roosevelt Ag dimes
- A few 40% and 90% Ag half dollars
- Nickel from 1872
- Couple bucks face value in 35% Ag war nickels

Only thing more fun than getting this bread is getting this vintage bread!

But that's how it's going to be when there are no longer any GSAs anyway. If there isn't a GSTL on duty, apparently the SCO person is supposed to help the cashier(s) resolve any issues. I would expect the SCO to be unattended multiple times Every Single Day.
It's what Spot wants.
We schedule a cashier to watch the lanes, call for backup, etc. still as what a GSA did before.
For our SCOs, our AP bought extra Spider Wrap removers and put them on retractable reels we wear on our belt so we don't have to go to a neighboring register to do it.
It's great and all until you walk near anything metal (everything) and the SW remover is like, "yo, check this out" and bam, the thing comes flying at you once it's out of slack. I've taken a few hits to the baby maker. Now I clip it behind me and it only hits my butt now. 😅

Does your store have a cashier acting as a GSA? Essentially swapping a cashier for a GSA? Modernization calls for no one to be standing around up front other than the ETL-GE or GSTL (SETL) and that is primarily peak hours.
Yes, we have someone up there. SETLs are only scheduled as mids M-F or openers on weekends. So outside that time, we have a cashier doing GSA stuff.
The ETL-SE even had a meeting with all cashiers to tell us that if we're up there lane watching, we need to speed weave and talk to every Guest who walks by, wants us line busting with the MyCheckout and stuff.

So in fully Modernization compliant stores...
  • Who gets change for the cashiers?
  • Who calls for backup if we can't see there is a flood up on the race track (line of sight is obstructed by the soda coolers and the gift card racks)?
  • Who manages the lunch and break schedule?

Certain GS trained cashiers who are getting supervisor numbers are doing that in my store. Of course I already did that pre-Modernization. So the only thing changing is I now close all registers too.

Hey all! So I'm a new Guest Service Team Member (but let's just call it a "cashier" for my own sanity). I had some cashiering questions that I've been wanting to ask... I appreciate the help in advance!

1. Do I need to report to my GSTL when I start my shift? Or can I just jump on any register and just start? (Sometimes I have trouble locating my GSTL and don't want to be wandering around like a dodo for 5 minutes when I could just be ringing people up already)
2. Similar questions with breaks - someone tells me when my break is ahead of time, but do I need to report to them to tell them I am going to take my break? (Also, I felt kind of awkward that I left during a busier time. But I need to take my break when they tell me to, right?)
3. How ON EARTH do I open the various security things for the electronics?? (There are like 3 different kinds that I've come across and I felt super bad that I had to have the cashier in the lane next to me do it for me more than once. I've been shown how to do them but they do it so quickly that I can't properly learn how to remove them. PLEASE HELP 😭)
4. I was told, at orientation, that our name badges and TM discount cards would arrive in 2 weeks. When I reach that 2-week mark, who do I ask if they arrived? HR or..?

I've read various threads that complain about Target's cashier training and how every new cashier seems to be thrown into the ring of fire with high expectations of being able to do and know everything (quickly!). That sucks. Because I get it now 😫

And I have more questions but I already forgot them. I'll come back to ask more after my next shift 😟
Welcome :)
Remember to breathe. Most of the job for months is asking for help. Target people are generally friendly and like feeling like they've accomplished something. Helping an appreciative new person is a satisfying feeling :)
You're not a burden. Take pauses and breathe. I found that taking the time to thank a coworker made them feel better about helping me and helped me not feel so in-the-way when I started.

Hang in there 💜

Any GSTL would rather you ask for help and learn how to do it right then guess and get it wrong. your fellow cashiers, GSTMs, and GSTLs are here for you!

the vendor would check in with the ETL or TL of the area they need assistance in, or the closing TL at night

it's actually way more efficient that way
right but lets say I need supervisor numbers and there's no front end leader in the building (now more common mornings and nights). what do I say? "hi team can I get the team member closest to guest service with supervisor numbers to come for an override"

that's way worse than "hey LOD can you come to guest service for an override"

right but lets say I need supervisor numbers and there's no front end leader in the building (now more common mornings and nights). what do I say? "hi team can I get the team member closest to guest service with supervisor numbers to come for an override"

that's way worse than "hey LOD can you come to guest service for an override"

whoever is banking the lanes in the morning or at night would have supervisor numbers so that's really a non issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back