Archived Somewhat confused about something that happened recently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a z-rack pusher at my local Target. I thought I was doing a pretty good job and last weekend there were 6 full z racks in women's alone. I spent my entire shift (5 hours) finishing those since there were so many, a lot was new and it was my third week working at target.

There was another woman working there that day (not doing z racks, I think she was doing in stocks I'm not sure?) So anyway let's call her A. A asks me at the end of the day if I only managed to finish those 6 and I say "yes" since that is all I had time for... the other sections would not have taken long if I had more time since they had significantly less items. Anyway, I put away the z racks from the other sections away and decide to do them tomorrow.

The next day, I come but the z racks from the day before were done so I assumed A had talked to someone about it. I definitely did not, especially because I had a very early shift, before the store opens, so there wasn't any store leader there to help ask anyway.

Well, fast forward to today and the leader of duty (I believe ..) asked me to leave early and then pulled me aside before I left. She said I and not been doing z racks fast enough and then said that she spoke to the softlines team leader who had spoken to me (let's call him R). She said that I spoke to him on the day that I finished those 6 z racks. I hadn't spoken to him at any point about my performance with z racks at all, especially not on that day. I told her so, but it didn't get anywhere.

Anyway, I'm really confused about this. I used to think I was really slow with z racks, but then I noticed that when I have help, others can't finish any faster then I can. Even if I have help, it usually takes my entire shift to finish WITH their help. So I thought my speed was pretty good, especially considering how much faster I got with time on the job. Not just that, but I am really, really confused about what went on after I left because I hadn't spoken to A or R about z racks. I had assumed I would finish them later, especially since I didn't think the remaining ones would take much time (I should also note I wanted to do the easier z racks first but A brought me over to women's and told me to do that section first, so I'd I hadn't I would probably have gotten a lot more done in other areas). What went on back there I have no idea...

In other areas, I feel like I have been doing really good. I always say good morning to the guests and help them out and many of them thank me for it. I generally finish the z racks, unless there were A LOT of them. If I don't finish them one day, I generally finish them the next time I work all at once. I definitely thought I was slow at first, but not anymore.

It didn't help that today as I was doing Z racks I heard A mention me several times to other employees. Am I doing that badly? I definitely did not think so. I'm still on the 90 day trial period, so does this mean I will probably be fired?

Also adding that my grammar is bad since I'm typing on a mobile device. I couldn't figure out how to edit on here or I would have done that.

None of that makes any sense. I do gobacks in SL and I can push a crammed full double Z rack in an hour and this is with experience under my belt. If you went by that you should be able to push 5 in 5 hours BUT consider this - A) I don't have to make room for the product I'm pushing.... it's already on the floor and B ) I've been doing this for years. For them to tell you that you're slow when you're under 90 days and half the time your group has to rearrange the dang floor JUST to get the product out... it makes no sense at all. To me it sounds like you're doing pretty good, especially if you are going it alone. Have you had the chance to ask them what exactly their expectations are? What irritates me is when people make these judgments who have absolutely NO idea what the job is all about - meaning they've never done it themselves and haven't a clue what the challenges can be.

Sorry can't help you on the z-rack part but on the mobil (actually logged into my phone for the first time for this) if you look at the very bottom of you post you'll see a little box with two white lines and a tail (the quote marks).
It will let you edit your post.

Thank you RightArm, that makes me feel a lot better. You are much faster then me actually! I do average an hour a z rack if the bottom is filled and the top is slightly or half full. I take a bit longer if its crammed full. It also makes me feel better about working on infants lately because yesterday there were 3 z racks and a lot of (like I'd say 70% ) contained new clothing that I had to make room for. It took me 2 and a half hours and I was told I was doing it too slowly. :[

The soft lines leader in my store and the leader on duty today have both on occasion done a bit of z racks (the leader on duty did one yesterday and I've seen her do another before). So I know they have experience with it, but I still thought their expectations were a bit too far.

Luckily, the leader on duty has told me "If there ever comes a time you can't finish z racks (this was after that weekend I couldn't do them) then let someone know because we have to get them done in the 5 hours you're here." So she said I was doing a good job of letting people know if I needed help. I also remember asking our leader on duty my third week working here "will I get in trouble if I don't finish the z racks? Because on some days when we have a lot I don't think I can." And she didn't seem too upset about it back then like she did today, she just said "it sets everyone back, but I understand if there are way too many sometimes."

I think what gets at me the most is why R (soft lines leader) said he talked to me when he didn't. I'm sure if he knew I did 6 full z racks he wouldn't have said that, unless he really thought I should do it that fast in which case I'm in the wrong :[…, so I'm curious as to what A and R talked about on this (since I know they definitely spoke about it).

Should I ask R about this? Should I explain the situation and ask him about our supposed conversation? I've never asked them how many z racks an hour they expect me to do so maybe I should ask?

I was also wondering if I should ask the z rack pusher who worked before me and trained me a little bit. I don't know how to contact her but maybe I could ask around and see if I can, and ask her how fast she did it and what they expected of her vs. Me?

Sorry can't help you on the z-rack part but on the mobil (actually logged into my phone for the first time for this) if you look at the very bottom of you post you'll see a little box with two white lines and a tail (the quote marks).

Thank you commiecorvus! Actually that button quotes the text for me... I think it might be a difference in devices, or do you perhaps use an app to view the site? I tried all the buttons I saw from here.

OMG! Three full z-racks in infants with mostly new product and it took you 2 and a half hours and they're complaining? Seriously? I suppose the only way to get faster would be to just shove the clothes anywhere they'll fit and keep going? >< The truth is you can do it right and take 2 1/2 hrs or you can do it wrong (and incredibly fast) and create more work for the SLTL and his Brand TMs when they have to re-arrange the floor to meet standards.

Yes, I would ask him (R - your SLTL) what his expectations are. You can't meet an invisible standard. Make sure he knows you want to improve your time and will absolutely do your best but that you need to know what the "goal" is so you know what you need to reach for. Do this as respectfully as possible. As for R saying he talked to you when he didn't.... it sounds like he's covering his butt with the LOD, though I can't see why he'd say he talked to you when it's just as easy to say he would... Maybe that particular LOD has it out for him? You never know what the politics above you are and it's best to leave that particular scenario alone. In other words, let it go. Instead, initiate a talk with him and get his thoughts on the situation. Find out what he wants and see if he can give you any ideas for how you can improve your speed. Doing so will let him know you not only want to do your job well but that you want to be a team player and value his input.

As for A... geesh. Instocks should not be commenting on the speed of another work center, especially if they've never pushed racks themselves. How would he/she like it if someone was telling him/her they weren't scanning fast enough and the outs weren't being met who didn't have a clue what instocks was about or any of the challenges they face when product is not correctly located? A must have some kind of influence with R.... or A hates R and is trying to get R in trouble with the LOD....? I don't know. But that part doesn't sound like something you want to meddle in or get stuck in the middle of. I imagine the longer you work there and get to know people the more sense it will make in the long run. Right now I would just focus on what the expectations are and how you can meet them and simply do the best you know how to do. :)

I don't know if my store is bigger than yours but we rarely have just ONE z-rack pusher. We have 2 minimum and sometimes 3 if the truck is big. But then it sounds like you only push the racks? Ours are done by the flow team designated for SL and they not only push the Z-racks they have to empty the re-packs and de-package everything that comes off the truck and they start at 3:30 a.m. One day they were down a TM and the LOD asked our RTW morning zoner to stay and help and she did. Communication is key. As you do your job you'll get the feel of what you need timewise to accomplish the task in front of you. Make sure they always know as soon as possible if you're going to need help to complete the job so they can get you the help you need.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice, RightArm. It is a lot less confrontational then what I was planning (I was planning on getting the LOD, A and R together and asking them whats going on all at once so we could all clear the air) and I think I will take your advice instead as it seems to be the better route.

I am the only z racks pusher as far as I know, and only one I've met. However, I have seen others do z racks so I know others are trained in it, and I have weeks where I only get 10 hours of work so there HAS to be someone else working on z racks. I just think that if there is, they have more to their job then simply z rack pushing like me (as in, that is my only job here at Target but others may do this + other things). When I do come in however, I am generally pushing z racks alone.

Also one last question... how bad is a situation like this (especially if they're cutting my hours more when I already get about 10 a week?)? Should I be really worried about this situation? I am worried I won't make it past the 90 days and it makes me sad since I really try my best every day I'm at work :(.

You're quite welcome. Do let me know how it works out. :)

As for hour shortages the only real answer to that is to be willing to be cross-trained into other areas. When the store does not make sales then corporate starts cutting the payroll. When payroll gets cut the ETLs start trimming off hours wherever they can. Therefore, the more hats you can wear the more hours you will be able to sustain. If you remain just a rack-pusher then that doesn't give them room to put you in other areas where they may have extra hours. For example, if you are sales floor trained, operator trained, even cashier trained.... then when they don't have the hours in your department they can put you in another one. Also, when hours do get short LODs tend to schedule the TMs with the most training over those with the least. Think of this way. If TM Joe can perform as an operator, a cashier, a salesfloor person, a CAF pusher, and even knows how to do a little plano.... they're more likely to schedule him than TM Bob who only knows how to cashier. The reason behind this is call-offs and there's always call-offs. If you schedule TM Joe to be a cashier but the operator calls off... you already have Joe there to go take over for the missing operator. Or if Joe's on salesfloor for the day but your down on plano or CAF pushing... easy peasy... Joe moves to either of those centers that need help. But this doesn't work with Bob. If he only knows how to cashier and suddenly you have an Operator call off or plano is down or the CAF person is out... Bob is of no additonal help to you. See where am I going with this? The more you know... the more valuable you are... the more hours you will be able to get. So, learn all you can at every opportunity. :)

Thank you commiecorvus! Actually that button quotes the text for me... I think it might be a difference in devices, or do you perhaps use an app to view the site? I tried all the buttons I saw from here.

Sorry you're right.
You could edit using the quote but then you'd have a double post.
I'll to check into it further, like I said, never done mobile before.
Maybe Hardlinesmaster knows some tricks.

About cross training, I asked about it my first week working at Target! I asked the Soft lines team leader (A). He told me it was not possible until after my 90 days were over. I have taken every opportunity to get extra shifts where possible and so I've had the chance to zone and cashier. It was nice and I enjoyed doing both things!:)

I was also given operator training, however I have never been an operator and I don't think I will be asked to do so since I was told by two different people it is unlikely I will ever be the operator (I'm assuming we have an abundance of people who do it?).

I do not mind being primarily z-rack pusher, however I would love to have multiple options.

Sorry you're right.
You could edit using the quote but then you'd have a double post.
I'll to check into it further, like I said, never done mobile before.
Maybe Hardlinesmaster knows some tricks.

dont use the mobile version on an ipod. can you access full site at the bottom of the screen? if you get a 404 code, not a good thing. red fluid version works best for me. if you have a droid, it should run ok.
here is a link for more info:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/showthread.php/2038-New-Theme

About cross training, I asked about it my first week working at Target! I asked the Soft lines team leader (A). He told me it was not possible until after my 90 days were over. I have taken every opportunity to get extra shifts where possible and so I've had the chance to zone and cashier. It was nice and I enjoyed doing both things!:)

I was also given operator training, however I have never been an operator and I don't think I will be asked to do so since I was told by two different people it is unlikely I will ever be the operator (I'm assuming we have an abundance of people who do it?).

I do not mind being primarily z-rack pusher, however I would love to have multiple options.

Awesome! You're already ahead in the game. I keep forgetting how much the core roles have changed over the years. When I was hired they hired you strictly for ONE position and if you got any cross-training you had to ask for it. Now they teach new TMs all to cashier and if your SL you'll learn zone and operator too. At this point I would just keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you're on the right track. And if you're able to successfully communicate with your SLTL then it should simply be a matter of time. I don't know how it's done in your store but if there are call-offs in ours it falls to the operator to replace those TMs. If this is the case in your store you might also want to get with your operators and let them know what you can do and when you're available. Our operators actually have a volunteer list at the desk that TMs fill out with their availability and work centers and this is the list we go to first when replacing shifts.

From what I'm reading, you're an eager and energetic person who is willing to grow and that should make a huge difference. ;)

Yes, I really looked forward to working at Target, and enjoy it now that I'm here. A large part of the reason I decided to work here specifically was for the chance to grow my communication skills which were lacking... that's why I make an effort to speak to as many guests as I can and to let them know I can help them. I feel like I'm still really awkward about talking to other team members, but I try and I've enjoyed talking to the ones I've talked to so far!

Hopefully this incident won't be too big and won't prevent me from losing the job at the end of my 90 days.

It sounds like A is the department gossiper/drama queen and you became her target.

I find it hard to believe that drama queens actually exist (to be honest I've never really had to deal with them before this way). I can understand gossip, it's natural to talk about things and question (heck, I'm technically gossiping right now by talking about the situation, right?) but why try to stir up drama? That's something I don't understand. I really hope she didn't have anything to do with it - and it's quite possible she didn't. I think she did, but I can't be sure until I get to talk to R next about this.

Also, I didn't mention this earlier but A is I think.. something like a junior manager? She told me something about that when we first met, I didn't get her "official" title back then, but she said it was the equivalent of a junior manager. That's why I always went to her to ask her about things etc. And she seemed to be pretty mature (minus gossip but I won't hold that against her too much).

I think the thing that helped me the most in all of this was knowing that my speed for z racks was not slow like I was being led to believe, because that idea really hurt (considering how much effort I've put into it and how much faster I've gotten etc.).

Is there a way I can show that I'm really putting forward the effort? I thought that things I did at work would be sort of obvious (like improvement on how efficiently I can do the work, the way I speak to guests & asking for crosstraining) but I feel like it didn't work that way through those things alone. Basically... What ways can I show that I'm serious and trying my best?

Also, I didn't mention this earlier but A is I think.. something like a junior manager? She told me something about that when we first met, I didn't get her "official" title back then, but she said it was the equivalent of a junior manager
Probably the brand team member for Softlines. Also probably has an inflated ego, but I digress. She's just a team member anddefinitely not in a position of authority. They are tasked with helping the team lead for softlines as well as scanning research on the tables for instocks.

You really need to ensure you have communication with your TL about what they are expecting of you, what you have completed vs the workload. Don't let them only hear about your work from others, especially since you've seen firsthand that they're willing to take A's word at face value.

Pushing truck Z's are quicker, because more of the merchandise goes to the same rack. With abandons, you lay down a lot more rubber because of there could be one item from every rack. I have been with Target 8 years and can push 1 abandon z in about 35-40 minutes, and a truck z in about 15-25. We typically get 12-15 z's per truck. It is very hard work, with apparel moving constantly from place to place. You could be gone 1 day, and after they do a RTW adjacency, who knows where anything is. Those days it all takes longer. I am short, and can barely reach the top of the z. It has made my entire back and shoulders out of balance, and I have pinched nerves in my neck frequently. Please be careful ...

Also, I didn't mention this earlier but A is I think.. something like a junior manager? She told me something about that when we first met, I didn't get her "official" title back then, but she said it was the equivalent of a junior manager. That's why I always went to her to ask her about things etc. And she seemed to be pretty mature (minus gossip but I won't hold that against her too much).

- Junior manager? TL of instocks? Or as suggested possibly a brand team member in SL?

I think the thing that helped me the most in all of this was knowing that my speed for z racks was not slow like I was being led to believe, because that idea really hurt (considering how much effort I've put into it and how much faster I've gotten etc.).

- Not in my opinion for you having been there a mere three weeks and having lots of new product to place. But looking at EvilKitty's speed after 8 years of doing that particular job you can see where you need to get to. ;)

Is there a way I can show that I'm really putting forward the effort? I thought that things I did at work would be sort of obvious (like improvement on how efficiently I can do the work, the way I speak to guests & asking for crosstraining) but I feel like it didn't work that way through those things alone. Basically... What ways can I show that I'm serious and trying my best?

- I thought about this one for a bit and the only thing I can come up with is communication. In many situations that's the key. If you have that chat with your TL and come to an understanding about expectations and keep that line of communication open, he should notice your efforts.

Pushing truck Z's are quicker, because more of the merchandise goes to the same rack. With abandons, you lay down a lot more rubber because of there could be one item from every rack. I have been with Target 8 years and can push 1 abandon z in about 35-40 minutes, and a truck z in about 15-25. We typically get 12-15 z's per truck. It is very hard work, with apparel moving constantly from place to place. You could be gone 1 day, and after they do a RTW adjacency, who knows where anything is. Those days it all takes longer. I am short, and can barely reach the top of the z. It has made my entire back and shoulders out of balance, and I have pinched nerves in my neck frequently. Please be careful ...

- Odd... I would think it would take longer to place brand new stuff than relocate "abandoned". My reasoning is that you can't just simply shove new clothes on any space available rack. There's "brand" issues such as you're not supposed to mix brands and ideally they should be located in their particular zone. Naturally that means you have to consider what's already on the floor and maybe do some rearranging before you can even place the product. Most of the time our flow team SL side can manage on their own (and there are 2-3 of them pushing in the morning) but occasionally they have to hunt down the SLTL and ask for help making room for new product in a way that keeps the floor "brand". If it was simply a matter of throwing brand new clothes just anywhere they'd fit.... yeah, I could do that in 15-25 minutes too. Of course, if you've been doing this particular thing for awhile (and you have) then I'm sure you've gotten pretty quick at problem solving spacing issues. So, AngryStapler, experience is obviously key and EvilKitty definitely has a lot more hands on experience in this area than I have and has been with Target just a bit longer. And EvilKitty's also right about watching how you over-stretch, over-reach, and handle clothing. Make sure you don't do everything with your dominant side. Shift between the two. I was fortunate enough to have been raised by a mother whose dominant side was opposite mine so I learned to do a lot of things with both hands. This keeps me from constantly reaching with the same side naturally. Maybe this isn't an issue with most people (I don't know) but the ones I work with tend to constantly reach with their dominant side.

This is really strange to me. I work in SF quite a bit and I could never finish 6 z-racks in 5 hours. Between being called up for fast service, projects, helping guest, etc, it feels like we never get anything done. I'll spend 1/3 of my shift just walking between the fitting room and the check lanes. It's quite ridiculous. I've never been coached on this, thank God, but this seems quit strange. My STL is known to ask, "So, you can push that in 30 minutes right?" when we have full Z-racks back in the fitting room. HA. That's quite funny. I tend to think people don't realize how long it can take to actually push one of those things!

Yes, if you're working when the store is open for business then it can be quite a challenge to finish a z-rack of gobacks when you keep getting called to the front for guest first. What enables me to push a z-rack relatively fast (at least they tell me I'm fast) is that our operator trainer is somewhat CDO (extreme OCD) to the point that she trains the operators to group the clothing on the rack by brand. All the sleepwear is together, all the active wear, all the Merona, all the Mossimo Black, all the MSC... swimwear is together and so is intimate apparel and men's (if it's on the rack) is on one end. By having the brands/departments grouped together I don't go in circles and back and forth. Saves a heckuva lot of time. And when she has the time she sorts out the clearance rack by 30/50/70 and puts them in size order ... I can do a single Z-rack of clearance (crammed full) that she has sorted this way in roughly ten minutes flat. Organization is a lovely thing. :excited:

Your operator sounds awesome!

I'm waiting for Saturday which is when I work next to talk to my SLTL. If he's not there though then I'm not sure what to do.

Yes, if you're working when the store is open for business then it can be quite a challenge to finish a z-rack of gobacks when you keep getting called to the front for guest first. What enables me to push a z-rack relatively fast (at least they tell me I'm fast) is that our operator trainer is somewhat CDO (extreme OCD) to the point that she trains the operators to group the clothing on the rack by brand. All the sleepwear is together, all the active wear, all the Merona, all the Mossimo Black, all the MSC... swimwear is together and so is intimate apparel and men's (if it's on the rack) is on one end. By having the brands/departments grouped together I don't go in circles and back and forth. Saves a heckuva lot of time. And when she has the time she sorts out the clearance rack by 30/50/70 and puts them in size order ... I can do a single Z-rack of clearance (crammed full) that she has sorted this way in roughly ten minutes flat. Organization is a lovely thing. :excited:

We have our z-racks from the fitting room with labels, too. Ours actually have the Target brand name on them....the 30/50/70 has dividers too, but they aren't "brand." Having the dividers make pushing re-shop so much easier.

AngryStapler....it might be a good idea to mention to your SFTL about dividers for the z racks. Don't tell him that you heard about the dividers here.....rather mention that it might be easier for people to push Zs or do reshop if dividers are there. Making this suggestion to your SFTL sure will help......because your SFTL will realize that you're being proactive in trying to save time and make work easier for everyone.

Thank you pellinore for your advice! I rarely do reshop, but there are dividers for when I do. Reshop is easier then pushing Zs usually because our store divides the clearance by size order, so I really just have to find the size and stick it on the rack. Super easy!

I talked to my SFTL today and he was really positive and nice about everything. He gave me the example of someone else who can finish Z-racks in about 4 hours (approximately 6-7 of them). He said that's my goal - to get to that point and be able to push that many. He also said that if I can't get that many finished, I really need to let him know about halfway through my shift so he can get someone to help me out. I had a lot of help with Z-racks today as there were a ton of Z-racks. The person who helped me was actually A, and she was really nice about it today! :) I think everything is working out after all! I still don't know the details of what happened before, but I don't care anymore. I think it'll be a distant memory going forward, and that things will get better. At least I hope so!

Thank you everyone for your help and input :) Your advice was appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back