Specially Sales to GM

Hey guys,

I’ve worked for target for 4 years now. The past three years I’ve been a specially sales TL mainly overseeing style. My store director came to me a few weeks ago and asked me to move over to become our inbound/home, kitchen, domestics TL. I start my week of training tomorrow and wanted to get any tips and tricks for transitioning into my roll. General merch is completely new to me so anything would help! I want to learn a lot not only for my boss but for my new team as well so I’m able to train them properly which the previous leads I don’t believe spent much time with them training and developing.
Thanks

Last edited:
Being inbound means everything starts with you. Dont cut corners and make sure the team is sorting as best as possible, idk any store that has the perfect sort that they want but it should be doable to have a good sort. It does really help push times for dbos and helps them with there expectations. We sort everything on the line during the truck which again helps with push times. It can be difficult to get your other work done if your unload team isnt efficient.

I can’t help much with inbound operations, but for GM I’ll give you this:
-the better trained your team the smoother things go, the easier it is on you and the more that gets done (probably goes without saying)
-set very clear expectations: dbos should know if you want them to push first, zone first, if they need to do price change or set endcaps - be clear
-be upfront about push times - let them know that “you have 2 hours of push off the truck today” (or whatever it is)
-let everyone know they are expected to back-up cashier at least twice per day - you want them to respond BEFORE you have to call them
-plan AHEAD for your sales planners - oftentimes home and domestics ALL change the same week ! - last month there were 38 due in the same week
Set ahead for truck to floor if possible - assign 2per day per DBO until they are done, help set if you can
-remind DBO’s to pick up re-shop - set times like. 8:00/12:00/4:00/8:00 as times to clear guest service or even better: bring the re-shop TO them !
-best to give a routine: in whatever order your store prefers to ensure that:
freight is pushed clean, re-shop is cleared, zone is good, price change is kept up (daily labels!), SPL are set early or at least on time, 1:1 is pulled & pushed
trainings are done, support is given for the front end, everyone answers phone, backstock is complete, backroom is case less, ladder less and zoned with
barcodes facing out, discontinued and clearance merch is removed from the backroom, dress code is being followed (including a name tag), attendance and
schedules are being followed, no earbuds, greeting every guest, helping in other areas ehen possibl, attending and participating in huddles when they happen,
breaks and meals are taken on time, all schedule issues are communicated ASAP, lines of communication are open for you to help solve problems
-ask what they need from you - some may need training, assistance or just an ear. Be honest, upfront, fair and helpful.

Make sure one of your better Dbos is in place for Hearth&Hand/Home flat. They need to be efficient but also understand how to flex creatively. This area is SO VMG driven so it will be familiar to you in that respect. The VM will partner with that DBO for new sets but the VM does not own it. Inbound will be your biggest learning huddle. Data accuracy is essential for efficient pulls. As new pogs are set, verify the capacities and on floor counts are accurate so your batches don't overpull. Partner with the rest of GM leadership at a set time/day each week. Go over upcoming sets, who to delegate to, if additional planning is needed. Use the time to discuss any tm development issues, training needed, or coaching.

Our store did away with DBO when covid hit, thought it was company wide, our GM just pushes freight (barely). They don’t do rev, spls ,1:1s, or reshop…

I
Our store did away with DBO when covid hit, thought it was company wide, our GM just pushes freight (barely). They don’t do rev, spls ,1:1s, or reshop…
It's happened like that to us as well. There are certain areas we've given priority to in Style as far as keeping DBOs and it should translate to GM. We usually pick the areas that have the most foot traffic and highest INF. Consistent people leads to consistent zone/backstock and the ability to follow up.

Back