Archived Speed vs Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity

Soup Sandwich Artist
Its been about a month and working at Target has been great. All my coworkers are friendly and guests often make comments about how helpful the staff are. Anyway.

I've been tasked with pushing and zoning for most of my shifts, I feel that I am not going fast enough. Its good to be fast and make aisles presentable but merchandise is often in the wrong place and similar items get stacked together. The aforementioned scenario results in compounding errors. I relocate displaced items and ensure accurate placement for virtually every item. No exposed diamonds in my aisles!

It takes me about 5-10 minutes per section of an aisle. HBA is another story. I almost lost my will to live there.

Is it better to be fast and ignore placement issues or is it better to make sure everything is right?

Differs for me depending upon assignment. If I'm pushing and/or reshop then I'm spending time to relocate items to the correct placement. Just off the top of my not been working at Target that long head, 5 minutes per section seems OK, 10 minutes seems long. If I'm zoning, especially multiple departments prior to closing, then unless I know exactly where the product should go, I'm just making things look good for opening in the following morning, especially when I'm zoning multiple areas.

When I've been pulled into hardlines, I'm mostly just pushing and making things look nice unless things are obviously in the wrong spot or area.

ASANTS plays a factor - my store pays more attention to good looking departments, even though things may not be in the correct place. Some TM's zone from the outside in starting with no items on the floor, tables on the perimeter, then tables inside a department, then hanging products, as leadership walking the race track will see the obvious and miss the detail.

It all depends on the amount of time you have. If you aren't closing you can spend more time perfecting the zone by making sure everything is in place. When your closing, make sure things are looking good and pay attention to price points especially if you're zoning an area where placing the item in the wrong location can net a guest a big undeserved discount. In the beginning, work on being accurate, speed comes with increased familiarity.

As a cashier and service desk TM, I would prefer to know that product is in the right spot and that signs are accurate (ie.e. no old sale signs) over tidy with no visible diamonds. I can't tell you how many times I have guests complaining that "the sign says". And of course, we're instructed to make it right, so we discount the item to "what the sign says" unless it really sounds out in left field (like an InstaPot for under 60...).

As a cashier and service desk TM, I would prefer to know that product is in the right spot and that signs are accurate (ie.e. no old sale signs) over tidy with no visible diamonds. I can't tell you how many times I have guests complaining that "the sign says". And of course, we're instructed to make it right, so we discount the item to "what the sign says" unless it really sounds out in left field (like an InstaPot for under 60...).

I can understand that, since I have had it happen to me multiple times while I was backing up on cashier. But checking to make sure every single item is in the right place in the section can be pretty time consuming, especially when you also have to make things look nice due to pressure from an LOD or TL. I do tend to try to put everything in the right place when I zone, but also I'm yet to actually manage to finish a zone during a shift in my first month.

It all depends on the amount of time you have.

Yes this. Also for me, the day of the week. If I am closing on a Monday, say, my zone will be quite a bit more detailed than on, say, a busy Saturday. I love neatness and organization, though, and I want stuff in the right spots for tms and guests alike. What I'll do is choose a specific area to spend extra time on when I am zoning, a little project if you will. Next time I zone, hopefully that area stays nice, and then I'll choose a different one to powerzone. I've tried to get other tms on board with this too. Hopefully it catches on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back