Ending the two-tier vs. three-tier debate once and for all

What do you call these carts?

• Total voters

animalcrossing

Mouse in the backroom
Me and another TM got into a discussion about this and everyone I know seems to agree with me that these red carts are known as three tiers. However, the other TM is adamant that they are called two tiers.
So, what do you all think?
2023-08-08.png
(image shamelessly stolen from reddit)

I have always called it a 3 tier but for some reason when I switched stores they've called them 2 tiers. I mean it is clearly a 3 tiered cart so I don't know why they do but the whole building did when I first came here.

Yeah tbh my current store is really old so I wonder if they had different carts without the bottom to start and that's why they called it a 2 tier

I think some training I took recently called them 3 tiers. I admit to using both terms at work. It all depends on what I need it to be though LOL. I thought smart carts were the ship carts? I've only heard the term smart carts once or twice and it was right after we got sfs so I figured it referenced those carts

If you can put merchandise in the top, the middle, AND the bottom, it's a three tier.
Thank you! This other TM tried telling me the bottom part was "just the bottom part;" somehow separate from the baskets yet it is clearly another tier

Thank you! This other TM tried telling me the bottom part was "just the bottom part;" somehow separate from the baskets yet it is clearly another tier
I agree with them. Because the tiers are the baskets and the bottom is...just the bottom. A regular shopping cart is one basket, and a two-tier is two baskets. The bottoms don't count.

At any rate, they are called two-tiers at my store.

ETA: now that I'm thinking about it, some people do call them three-tiers. But I will keep my vote the same because I think I've made a good argument for two-tier. 😁

Last edited:
I think some training I took recently called them 3 tiers. I admit to using both terms at work. It all depends on what I need it to be though LOL. I thought smart carts were the ship carts? I've only heard the term smart carts once or twice and it was right after we got sfs so I figured it referenced those carts
I also thought smart cart referred to the sfs carts. It's not a term used in my store.

Maybe a hot take, but I consider it a 2 tier, not a 3 tier. 95% of the time I don't even use the bottom unless I have a bulky item. If you can't put small items in it without them easily rolling out, I don't consider that a tier.

I miss those so much! You could move A LOT of stuff to the salesfloor all in one trip. And if you had one w/o the shelf it was a godsend for transporting 22 shelves safely, also in one trip. Great for efficiency in the days of yore! 😆
That made me have a flashback to the red tubs that were for plano with drawers and dividers for shelves.😆 Then I thought of the cardboard attachments they made for the shopping carts that were the "signing cart" 🤣

Back