Archived Spotting fraud at Guest Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! So I've been a SBTM for almost 4 months now and am looking to crosstrain. One of the main areas I'm interested in is Guest Services, since it seems really... Interesting. Anyways, the biggest flaw I believe I have that would make being in that position a problem is that I'm a bit of a gullible person. I realize that might automatically make me unfit for the position, but I was hoping that maybe you guys could lend a hand. I was just wondering, all you GSAs/GSTLs and others out there, what are your tips for spotting fraud?

Also, I haven't done more than a shift of cashiering, so I'm probably gonna start picking up those shifts so I get to know the area outside Starbucks a lot better.

That's what I've heard... oh well, at least it'd make my job easier. Assuming their lost profit doesn't end up killing my store.

You can be gullible. Essentially spot wants you to return, or attempt to return pretty much anything and let AP deal with the "fraud" side of it. Obviously if something seems sketchy just ask the GSTL or AP for help/approval. Few easy tips are to always check serial numbers, numbers on the inside of clothes opposed to the tags and make sure all contents of a package are in the box. Doing simple things like that will cover your ass from any punishment. Guest service is fairly simple and I really enjoy it.

Don't worry about it right now.
Spot is pretty much focused on giving away the store customer service, so that should be your focus.
Ditto. If they are going fraud the store, then its AP job.

Be gullible and write it as a vibe.

But it really just takes common sense or just follow the policy by the letter. Its a tool.

I agree with everyone else, it's probably best you just process the transaction and let AP know ASAP if you think it was suspicious so they can get a license plate. One thing you could probably do is make sure you match serial numbers on electronic items to the serial number on its package and make sure you open up everything to check items are actually in there. I had a GSTM return a crock pot without opening the box and when she opened the box it was too late, the guest had already left & there was nothing but plates in there. it was only $40 but still could have been easily prevented.

With being bold, it no longer matters. Actual event:

*Scene: we were just about to start huddle in front of guest services when a guest approaches us.*
Guest: hi, I'm looking for Simalisan eye drops. The other Spot said you had five of them, but there are none on the shelf. They have a buy two, get a five dollar gift card with them (Shows us coupons for $5 off each one).
GSTM: ugh, this is why they are supposed to call ahead.
Me: let me check on the PDA to see if we have any more in the back.
STL: don't worry...if we don't have any, we will just substitute a different product and get you the gift card.
Guest: I know that, but I have these coupons as well.
STL: oh, we can take those as well.
GSTM (making conversation as I'm poking around on the lpda): so, I work at an eye doctor's office and have never heard of these drops. What are they for?
Guest: oh, I don't really know or care. But with the $5 off of each coupon and the $5 gift card, I will make money just by buying them. So either I will give them to friends or return them...

Great. So, I confirmed we had no more...we ended up substituting another product, gave her the $5 gift cards, took off the 4 $5 coupons (that we will not be reimbursed for from the company), and the STL is thrilled because he is convinced because he basically paid the guest to take the product for her to return for full money back later, that she will be loyal to us and come back later. You know, and undoubtedly do the whole thing again.

Good job, Spot! Way to be bold!

....Aaaaaaaand because spot is bleeding money on transactions like these, the company doesn't make sales.
Ergo, TMs will be graded down because there won't be any money for raises & reviews HAVE to reflect the crappy score (which reflects on spot not making enough money through this "Bold" bullsh1t).

With being bold, it no longer matters. Actual event:

*Scene: we were just about to start huddle in front of guest services when a guest approaches us.*
Guest: hi, I'm looking for Simalisan eye drops. The other Spot said you had five of them, but there are none on the shelf. They have a buy two, get a five dollar gift card with them (Shows us coupons for $5 off each one).
GSTM: ugh, this is why they are supposed to call ahead.
Me: let me check on the PDA to see if we have any more in the back.
STL: don't worry...if we don't have any, we will just substitute a different product and get you the gift card.
Guest: I know that, but I have these coupons as well.
STL: oh, we can take those as well.
GSTM (making conversation as I'm poking around on the lpda): so, I work at an eye doctor's office and have never heard of these drops. What are they for?
Guest: oh, I don't really know or care. But with the $5 off of each coupon and the $5 gift card, I will make money just by buying them. So either I will give them to friends or return them...

Great. So, I confirmed we had no more...we ended up substituting another product, gave her the $5 gift cards, took off the 4 $5 coupons (that we will not be reimbursed for from the company), and the STL is thrilled because he is convinced because he basically paid the guest to take the product for her to return for full money back later, that she will be loyal to us and come back later. You know, and undoubtedly do the whole thing again.

Good job, Spot! Way to be bold!

That is some crazy bullshit right there.

Little off topic.

To answer that question. The eye drops are homeopathic quackery. The are paying high prices bottles of water. There are no active ingredients. This is why the GSTM would not find it in a eye doctor's office.

I am not familiar with the latest version of the return policy. But my personal practice was to....

check the receipt over quickly for dates, numbers, and any signs of photocopying.
check all clothes for Target familiar brands.
check for any noticeable signs of use.
check for any DO NOT RETURN TO STORE stickers
check/match serial numbers.
for electronics, I verified all contents and serial numbers. If it was a complicated item such as Xbox or Playstation, I would contact the Electronics TM to verify the contents. Verify that all stickers are sticking properly.
CDs/DVDs/video games could be exchanged for different format but must be same title.

Bumping an old thread here but I just wanted to say how glad I am that none of this nonsense goes on at my store's Guest Service. As a GSTM I am generally free to make my own decisions without my GSAs/TLs/ETLs overriding everything. We had a woman attempting a no-receipt return on a $60 item. POS tells me this item puts her over the annual $70 limit. Now if it were a small item under $10 or so I'd go ahead and override it but not $60. She threw a fit and demanded my supervisor, but since I was covering the GSA's lunch I was the supervisor. LOD happens to be within earshot and backs me up. Thank god.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back