Archived SrTL Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

Long time listener, first time caller here. I've been with Target for two and a half years now, and in that time I've progressed from a TM, to brand, to TL. I just passed my eighteenth month as a TL and had a sit down with my STL and ETL-HR. They presented me with two options: have a SrTL interview right now for one of the micro stores opening in our area or wait (for what they said would likely be a long time) for an ETL interview/opening to arise in our district. We are seemingly cutting ETL positions left and right right now, so I've decided to give the senior position a shot. I was wondering if any of you have gone through SrTL interviews lately or could give me any info about the new questions/interview process. My leadership is going to prep with me eventually, but they are a bit flaky and disorganized, and I really want to nail this.

Any help from you fine people would be greatly appreciated!

We have a couple TLS who want to promote to ETL and they were told they need to go SRTL first. Sounds like you are will progress faster this way.

All the questions boil down to one thing: when faced with an obstacle, how do you react? Do you put a band-aid on the problem that will fall off in a couple days or do you problem-solve and implement a routine in an attempt to permanently fix the 'opportunity?'

I've heard that TLs don't have to interview with the DTL in most districts now. I'm not sure if the same could be said about SR TL. If you only have to interview with your stores leadership and they already like you then it shouldnt be too bad. I know your answers should be of higher scope then that of regular TL interviews. Focus on the bigger picture. I like to use examples that show that I'm not only providing solutions for my own team's problems but at the same time making the rest of the store more efficient.

Thank you for the advice! Yes, I am definitely planning to offer higher-scope answers and talk about the big picture. When I was first promoted to TL, I only had to interview with my DTL (my store leadership liked me so much I never even had formal interviews with HR or STL). Now, all potential SrTLs in my district will have to walk a detailed visit of their departments with the DTL and HRBP before sitting down for interviews with them. I'm not sure if this is the new process for all SrTLs or only the ones going to micro stores.

When I interviewed for Sr. with my DTL, I was ready with all kinds of high scope examples. I was first to interview with this new DTL, and assumed that he would be pretty hard on me. He pulled out the regular TL interview guide and asked those questions. I was a bit disappointed tbh. A walk in the park.

The micro Targets don't have ETLS, right?

The micro Targets don't have ETLS, right?

That's right - there is only an STL and a couple of SrTLs as keyholders. I know I would also eventually have to interview with the micro store's STL, which makes sense. I really hope everything goes smoothly; I'm ready for a challenge and greater authority (and more $$$).

Theoretically speaking if you pass the interview with the DTL then have the interview with the new STL it should be just a meet and greet.

take any promotion you get. it'd be great to move quickly from sr tl to etl, but it'd suck a lot to work at that level as tl until they figure out an etl position.

take any promotion you get. it'd be great to move quickly from sr tl to etl, but it'd suck a lot to work at that level as tl until they figure out an etl position.

This, our old DTL would only allow SRTLs to interview for ETL positions.

Well, I just wanted to post an update for anyone who might be watching this thread. I passed my interview and am now officially keyed in as a SrTL! I will soon leave my store for fairly extensive training, and then I get to open up a shiny new micro Target. I'm excited for this new challenge and ready to escape my disastrously lazy ETL, whose work I've been doing for months.

I had a joint interview with my DTL and HRBP. The questions were a bit different from older interview packets, but they are still assessing your personal development, team leadership, and business strategy. I was ready with high-scope examples and talked about situations that positively affected the whole store. Be familiar with Target's new focuses/processes and excited about the company's future. HRBP will ask you questions about your team's training, culture, morale, and development. In my district, they will walk a store visit after your interview and will ask you to join them and talk about your departments. At this point, I already knew I passed and was happy to share all the awesome things I'd done in my workcenter. I'm pretty sure you will know by the end of the day at the very latest if you got signed off or not.

Overall, it was fairly thorough, but I wouldn't call it intense. Practice five of six situations you can apply to a variety of questions and make sure you are upbeat and professional. Personal presentation matters as well. I'm excited for this new adventure and a chance to run my own business in a micro!

Not quite sure yet! Since a micro Target doesn't have any ETLs, my DTL wants me (and all others in my position) to get trained for pretty much everything. I will eventually get an assignment. Keeping my fingers crossed it's either Style, HR, or GE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back