• Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 3K
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyTarget

Hi all-

I'm currently just a sales floor TM who does everything under the sun- literally. I only work weekends and breaks because I live 2 hours away from my store at school. I applied for the internship but in my district, I was denied because I already work for the company. I was told not to worry about it because I can still apply directly for an ETL position after I graduate. My question is: Will I get an ETL position based on the fact I work for the company and have a 4-year degree? Or will my little school involvement again make me not eligible because they want the "perfect" applicant? If so, should I just be benched and take a TL spot for a few years and then go from there?

I would have been benched around a year ago, but I can't work full time because of school.

Just because you have a degree doesn't make it a sure bet you can become a etl. You will still have to jump through all the hurdles etc, ie interviews and smoozing with the other etls, stls, dtl etc etc. Be careful about taking a TL spot and sitting on the bench...Spot tends to dangle the carrot in front of people and never follow through. ..then you will look back and realize that you wasted all that time. Good luck !

We had tons of TMs with degrees that will never reach ETL in our district. Our district hires more externals than internals. I told TMs who wanted to move up that the quickest way to ETL was to quit and apply a few months later. I've seen too many TLs have the carrot dangled in front of them for years without an inclination that they'll ever get promoted to ETL. There were always new roadblocks, specifically the Best Team Survey.

Just because you have a degree doesn't make it a sure bet you can become a etl. You will still have to jump through all the hurdles etc, ie interviews and smoozing with the other etls, stls, dtl etc etc. Be careful about taking a TL spot and sitting on the bench...Spot tends to dangle the carrot in front of people and never follow through. ..then you will look back and realize that you wasted all that time. Good luck !

Of course I know that a degree =/= an ETL job but I am fairly confident that I could get the job if it were only about Target credentials. If I wanted to I could be on the bench but it's just not an option. My current situation is very awkward because my ETL's don't tell me what to do because I theoretically know more than they do about day to day LOD business.
I know I can jump through the hoops; i'm just worried that the lack of collegiate involvement (because I work all the time) is not what they are looking for an will quickly deny me any chance (Because that's the thing they like to do to good candidates).

So it's either be a SrTL and get stuck there or try and most likely get denied for ETL job after ETL job until I quit? Doesn't seem nearly fair to me.

Of course I know that a degree =/= an ETL job but I am fairly confident that I could get the job if it were only about Target credentials. If I wanted to I could be on the bench but it's just not an option. My current situation is very awkward because my ETL's don't tell me what to do because I theoretically know more than they do about day to day LOD business.
I know I can jump through the hoops; i'm just worried that the lack of collegiate involvement (because I work all the time) is not what they are looking for an will quickly deny me any chance (Because that's the thing they like to do to good candidates).

So it's either be a SrTL and get stuck there or try and most likely get denied for ETL job after ETL job until I quit? Doesn't seem nearly fair to me.

Spot and fair tend not to be used in the same sentence very often without the preface 'trying to be', 'used to be', and 'some stores are'.

Another member was a tm, got their degree, applied for intern & got it. Being denied or did you not apply for?

We also had TMs do the internship. If you're interested in retail management - Home Depot and Lowes have good programs. There's tons of other retail stores to choose from.

Oh, trust me, I tried. I jumped through all the hoops and was denied because I already am employed with the company.

Er, heads up, that's not why you were denied. We have two TM's who are becoming interns this summer. Obviously they already work for the company.

Applied then had the interview and was denied.

Ok, so you didn't pass your interviews. Now we figured it out. The good news is that there's almost always a second (or third, or fourth...) chance at Target. Reapply for the internship next summer. In the meantime, work on becoming a TL if your schedule allows. If your schedule doesn't give you time to become a TL, then keep pushing for intern until you graduate. Once you do, then you can jump to TL if necessary.

I think an important thing to remember here is that you're interviewing for your first real leadership position with the company (and possibly even your first supervisory role in the retail industry?) so you're interviewing for a new starting-point in your career; not something that you're already an expert in. It's all about staying confident in your decisions and being open to ongoing-learning from your peers and those above you.

You'll get there, just continue to connect and partner with your ETL's even if you're convinced you know more than they do.. They got the job that you and so many other people want, so they obviously did something right. Find out what it is :)

Last edited:
I think an important thing to remember here is that you're interviewing for your first real leadership position with the company (and possibly even your first supervisory role in the retail industry?) so you're interviewing for a new starting-point in your career; not something that you're already an expert in. It's all about staying confident in your decisions and being open to ongoing-learning from your peers and those above you

Very true.
Confidence goes a long way.

We had tons of TMs with degrees that will never reach ETL in our district. Our district hires more externals than internals. I told TMs who wanted to move up that the quickest way to ETL was to quit and apply a few months later. I've seen too many TLs have the carrot dangled in front of them for years without an inclination that they'll ever get promoted to ETL. There were always new roadblocks, specifically the Best Team Survey.
agreed!... dangling a carrot of false promises is pretty fucked up! (excuse my language!)

Last edited:
Er, heads up, that's not why you were denied. We have two TM's who are becoming interns this summer. Obviously they already work for the company.

Ok, so you didn't pass your interviews. Now we figured it out. The good news is that there's almost always a second (or third, or fourth...) chance at Target. Reapply for the internship next summer. In the meantime, work on becoming a TL if your schedule allows. If your schedule doesn't give you time to become a TL, then keep pushing for intern until you graduate. Once you do, then you can jump to TL if necessary.

It's a rule in my district that internals are no longer eligible.

Like other people have said it sounds like they don't think your ready. I would ask for feedback on the interview to find out why you were denied.

I did. I was given very apologetic feedback about the unfairness of the company and I was told that I was destined to be an STL and this was a "slap in the face" for the store.
It sounds like I am ready, but there's always ways to learn and improve knowledge.

Your district sucks! Internal hires have the advantage of knowing the process and applying experience. That's a shame.

Yes, yes it does. They are missing out on possible good leaders. But they want people they can brainwash apparently, not someone who can actually lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back